Shade cover trunk fail (Estate)

My car is four months old and I observe that gradually worsens winding trunk cover. It is slow and sometimes I have to do a little helping hands when entering the trunk. The worst thing is the cold weather below freezing. This morning I uploaded video with this phenomenon. The temperature was -2°C. I'll have to claim it.

https://youtu.be/qXrMDUqF3E0

Interesting.... I have a habit of only using the cover once on a journey if poss... If i'm going to work i'll leave it open. The logic is that it will prolong its life.... If it looks like were going to have a problem with 'em I'll start using it as much as possible lol !!

Mine has done the same thing, but I found that cleaning out the runners and applying a small amount of silicone lubricant to the runner and locating pin improves things.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mine's been like that from day one. I've tried silicone spray and some PTFE spray as well. As mine is a beige interior it looks really grubby and unsightly after a few weeks, due to the spray that's been applied. 

It also rattles all.....the.....time. I think I'll push for a replacement cover. 

In fairness, the Mk2's load cover of near identical design was pretty useless as well. 

It also rattles all.....the.....time. I think I'll push for a replacement cover. 

So did mine, tap-tap-tap over every slight bump.  After months of hunting and many failed attempts to cure it, I found that as the handle section flapped around it caused the fabric cover around the bottom of the crossbar to rattle against the bar.  I cured it by slightly bending the handle section upwards so the fabric is under tension all the time.

• Like 1

So did mine, tap-tap-tap over every slight bump.  After months of hunting and many failed attempts to cure it, I found that as the handle section flapped around it caused the fabric cover around the bottom of the crossbar to rattle against the bar.  I cured it by slightly bending the handle section upwards so the fabric is under tension all the time.

I thought I'd nailed the rattle as I carried out a few minor adjustments on the hollow steel crossbar, but the rattle returned shortly after. If I don't get a replacement i'll take another look at the crossbar. 

By 'the handle section' do you mean the rearmost bar. How much did you bend it? Mine is doing the same and also drags on the runners too.

By 'the handle section' do you mean the rearmost bar. How much did you bend it? Mine is doing the same and also drags on the runners too.

Yes, the rigid section attached to the crossbar.  It didn't take much to cure the rattle, it's no more than 5mm higher at the rear edge than before.  Hope it works for you too.

• Like 1

noticed my load cover wouldn't retract properly this morning in the -6'c temperature. Electronic boot closure would also not shut correctly. :(. annoying that its happened now, as its only just been to garage for a couple of warranty repairs.

would be interested to know how everyone else gets on if they report their issues to skoda.

noticed my load cover wouldn't retract properly this morning in the -6'c temperature. Electronic boot closure would also not shut correctly. :(. annoying that its happened now, as its only just been to garage for a couple of warranty repairs.

would be interested to know how everyone else gets on if they report their issues to skoda.

I'm collecting my car after three days in the garage for a list of warranty bugs - its second stint in a month....

I've reported the load cover being sluggish when retracting, plus constant rattling. I'll advise on the outcome. 

• Like 1

Today they exchanged me the new shade cover under warranty.

No such luck here, I was lubed up and sent on my way. Please interpret that remark in whichever way you see fit  :smirk:

Mines rather sluggish and could do with a good dolop of lube but just like the wife I have got in the habbit of guiding it along. Helping it on it's way as it were.

Mines rather sluggish and could do with a good dolop of lube but just like the wife I have got in the habbit of guiding it along. Helping it on it's way as it were.

I had to read that at least twice to make sure........... :D

After being lubed, mine seems to be working ok now. Slides along quite nicely*

*the cover that is..........this thread is a minefield now. It just needs a Kenneth Williams meme.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello, I found a way how fix it, by disassemling the cover and twisting the spring stronger.
As you probably know you can take it out of the trunk by pushing in the 2 caps, collocated on the right and left hand end of the cover.

- These caps can be removed. I didn't find an easyer way than strongly pulling on them, but nothing gets destroyed. Then you can see what is shown on the 2nd picture. The spring of the cap, and the removed cap.

- Then you can open the clippers to remove the part holding the rolled up cover. The right hand one, which is shown on the picture, just tolds the roll in place. The one on the other side is the one responsible to pull in the cover. Be carefull removing it, because it might be under (rotational) tension.

- To be sure better remove the whole sheet on the right hand side (shown on the second picture).

- Inside the roll is a spring, which creates the tension pulling it in. Disassembled its tensionfree. So now you can stick in the lid on the left side, and twist it against the cover in order to create the tension. You can twist it about 30 times - but try yourself. Then CAREFULLY put it back in the box, stick in the other lid on the other side. Make sure all clippers are back in their slot.

- Now you can try if it works. If yes, put back the springs and caps on both sides, and voila.

how to fix skoda octavia trunk cover / Skoda Octavia Kofferraum Abdeckung reparieren.

IMG_20180103_165519.thumb.jpg.84dff2808d81def6b449dce10bda464a.jpgIMG_20180103_165333.thumb.jpg.5b31476aa52ac0079287e6cd94186818.jpgIMG_20180103_165535.thumb.jpg.5364757cd9f1bdf990d6a973408f343a.jpg

• Thanks 1

I had exactly the same problem, went to dealer they said they lubricated it (I wasn't there sadly) and now it closest very very fast with a lot of force. So I believe what ever they did (maybe really just lubrication) it worked. I can't say exactly what they did sadly but its solvable *without replacing the shade* =)

P.S.: My bad didn't see two posts above where  @Falk posted a solution ^^. Sorry!

Edited by JackySi