Belt change

Petrus123

You do not change the timing belt if you do not see any wear on the belt.

However if you have changed the water pump or any other pulley mechanism running thro' the belt , then it is recommended to change the timing belt to avoid another labour charge for doing the same.

Also ensure somebody experienced with Skoda repairs does the job . Not all mechanics can deal with a Skoda repair

However if you have changed the water pump or any other pulley mechanism running thro' the belt , then it is recommended to change the timing belt to avoid another labour charge for doing the same.

Also ensure somebody experienced with Skoda repairs does the job . Not all mechanics can deal with a Skoda repair

Not strictly true.

There is a recommendation for 5 years for 2009+ cars or 120,000 (I think).

This may be different in India but for the European market that is the recommendation.

That is certainly NOT the advice given by Skoda!!

That is certainly NOT the advice given by Skoda!!

Or any manufacturer for that matter! They all have a fixed interval and not aware of any that say to inspect and only replace if it looks like it needs it.

Or any manufacturer for that matter! They all have a fixed interval and not aware of any that say to inspect and only replace if it looks like it needs it.

From 2015 the petrol EA 211 family of engines [that covers 1.2tsi, 1.4tsi and a 1.6]  are claimed by VAG to have timing belts that will last the life of the engine. I have not researched the diesel engines. If you google it lots of info. available. Only time will tell if this is true.[Having spent a small fortune over the years on belt changes I hope it is true]  

-And how often do you inspect your timing belt? :x

-And how often do you inspect your timing belt? :x

I don't inspect my belt at all as long as you don't hear any unusual noise. In theory these belts will last for the life of the car . But practically it may not come true becos the component pulley that run through them fail and consequently damage the belt.  

Ofcourse Skoda dealers will tell you to change becos it becomes there routine maintenance charge !!  60000 KM may be a number to inspect or replace but this by no way is accurate either.

I have never heard of any mechanical component being replaced unless it has a wear and tear.  Why would you replace something that is perfectly fine 'n running !!

I don't inspect my belt at all as long as you don't hear any unusual noise. In theory these belts will last for the life of the car . But practically it may not come true becos the component pulley that run through them fail and consequently damage the belt.  

Ofcourse Skoda dealers will tell you to change becos it becomes there routine maintenance charge !!  60000 KM may be a number to inspect or replace but this by no way is accurate either.

Rubbish!!

I have never heard of any mechanical component being replaced unless it has a wear and tear.  Why would you replace something that is perfectly fine 'n running !!

And again!!

• Like 2

Its such an important belt that it falls into the catagory of preventative maintenance. As rubber and the fibers age they deteriorate through both wear, heat cycles, fatigue and just age. At a certain point the likelyhood of a failiure is high enough that its time to replace before it becomes a time bomb.

Edited by Parkesie
  • Like 3

So basically we should wait till our timing belts and tensioners start making a funny noise? Then get the belt inspected and changed?

If it's making a funny noise then it's probably too late!

There's an old saying

Do it by the book!

(stoopid)

There's also another old saying - If it ain't broke . . . . . . . 

But this probably shouldn't apply in this case  :no: