Battery

sez

I have a 1.8 petrol Superb Estate with keyless entry. Car wouldn't start last night. After being jump started this morning it is ok at the moment, but battery needs replacing. Currently I have a Banner 70aH battery.

I have checked the Euro Car Parts site and put in my reg. I see that Bosch seems to be a popular replacement with several owners on here. ECP has three Bosch options for me, 70aH, 74ah and 77ah. Should I go for the 74 or should I opt for the higher 77?

Am I correct in assuming that any of these options will be of the same/similar size to the existing battery, or should I be checking battery measurements to see what would fit best?

Finally, I have read some useful threads explaining which order to do things and that some things may need resetting after the battery change, like windows, seats, etc. Is there anything else I need to consider as it is keyless entry?

Batteries confuse me, I read about people's problems and wonder what I am doing right (nothing actually). My Land Cruiser was 14 years old before I had to replace the battery.My Superb is six years old and Last month I parked it the airport and went away for a month. Came back and it started first turn of the key. Hope that is not the kiss of doom!!!!

Batteries confuse me, I read about people's problems and wonder what I am doing right (nothing actually). My Land Cruiser was 14 years old before I had to replace the battery.My Superb is six years old and Last month I parked it the airport and went away for a month. Came back and it started first turn of the key. Hope that is not the kiss of doom!!!!

The battery in the Superb has a much harder life than the one in an old Landcruiser. Lots more electronics/electrics, plus the power steering assistance is electric. Not to mention that it seems the Superb's battery is a bit undersized going by reports here.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone point me to some specific instructions on how to remove the existing battery.  From a quick look, the location of the fixing bolts is not obvious and the clearance around the battery is not great.

Thanks in advance

Can anyone point me to some specific instructions on how to remove the existing battery.  From a quick look, the location of the fixing bolts is not obvious and the clearance around the battery is not great.

Thanks in advance

down the sides of the battery you will find either a 10 mill bolt or a torque one, holding a plate to the bottom edge, better getting a tyre fitting place to change it for you, they will be able to change them over without loosing the radio code , unless you have it 

they will be able to change them over without loosing the radio code , unless you have it 

As long as the radio stays in the car and the ECU isn't changed, it won't ask for a radio code.  The Columbus and others uses the CAN bus to interrogate the ECU to ask for the VIN.  If the VIN doesn't change, no code prompt.

• Like 1

As long as the radio stays in the car and the ECU isn't changed, it won't ask for a radio code.  The Columbus and others uses the CAN bus to interrogate the ECU to ask for the VIN.  If the VIN doesn't change, no code prompt.

Iv just learnt something , but they used jump leads to keep power when mine was changed, will have to let them know this  :thumbup:

but they used jump leads to keep power when mine was changed, will have to let them know this  :thumbup:

This is very bad practice for changing a battery if they were concerned about radio codes and the likes they should be using a memory keeper which plugs into the 12v power socket not using bloody jump leads which has the potential of causing all kinds of harm. :devil:

Edited by DEL80Y