Cleaning up After Water Ingress

Pajo16

After trying to figure out why, among many electrical issues with my Superb, the interior light does not come on when the door is opened, I discovered water in the passenger foot-well last Saturday.

https://goo.gl/photos/H5aXjibx2Qo1vMya7

I lifted the carpet and found that the box containing CCM was floating on the water in the foot-well.  I opened the box, and although it was not wet it was damp.  I reviewed the connectors and there are clean and not corroded.

I found the front bulkhead containing 8 - 10 L of water.  Both drain holes in the front bulkhead were filled with silt/mud.  The car does not have a sun roof.

https://goo.gl/photos/JiRcH7LtzVhMNTiP8

I have opened the harness under the passenger carpet in the foot-well and removed the insulation from the factory splices.  Generally, there was very little corrosion at the factory splices.  The photos are not very good unfortunately.

https://goo.gl/photos/PTAsG7P1eKPcuD9a7

I have removed the factory splices and re-spliced using solder, however, the issues my electrics remain.  Here is a selection of issues faced with the car:

• Cruise control will turn off after 1 - 3 minutes
  • Interior light will not come on after opening either passenger or driver door.
  • The image of the car in the red dot matrix display will show driver door opening but not passenger door.
  • Air conditioning cuts in / out.
  • Using window controls on the driver side the drivers window goes up and down fine but the other three 'stutter' up and down.
  • Using the window control on the front passenger side the passenger will go up and down smoothly.
  • The Radio station in the red dot matrix display cuts in and out intermittently.
  • Locking the car from inside, or outside using the key fob, the passenger door button pops back up after initially going down.
  • The car battery dies within 12 hours - I tried four new batteries there all act the same ( I have access to new batteries  :sun:  )

I bought an OBDeleven device and here is a sample scan:

OBDeleven data log

Date: 2016-11-20 19:29

VIN: TMBCC63U289013586
    Car: Skoda Superb
    Year: 2008
    Engine: BPZ
    Mileage: 225060 KM

---------------------------------------------------------------
01 Engine Control Module 1

System description: R4 1,9L EDC G000SG
    Software version: 1159
    Hardware number: 03G906016MC
    Serial number: SKZ7Z0G4519344
    Coding: 0000071

Trouble codes:
        P0671 - Cylinder 1 Glow Plug Circuit
            static
        P0673 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit
            static
        P1635 - Databus drivetrain missing message from A/C control module
            Intermittent

03 Brakes 1

System description: ABS/ASR 5.3 FRONT   D00
    Software number: 3B0614111
    Coding: 00012

Trouble codes:
        No trouble codes found

08 Air Conditioning

System description: CLIMATRONIC S B5 C  2004
    Software number: 3U0907044A
    Coding: 17000

Trouble codes:
        00532 - Supply voltage Signal too low
            Intermittent
        01336 - Combination Comfort databus In single wire mode
            static

15 Airbag

System description: 0D AIRBAG VW61 0K   0004
    Software number: 1C0909605F
    Coding: 12356

Trouble codes:
        00532 - Supply voltage Signal too low
            Intermittent

16 Steering Column Electronics

System description: Lenkradelektronik   0002
    Software number: 3U0907487A
    Coding: 00001

Trouble codes:
            static
        01341 - Control module in instrument cluster at comfort CAN No communication
            Intermittent
        00926 - Terminal 30 Signal too low
            Intermittent

17 Dash Board

System description: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V06
    Software number: 3U0920842D
    Coding: 31115

Trouble codes:
        01336 - Combination Comfort databus Faulty
            Intermittent
        01336 - Combination Comfort databus No communication
            Intermittent
            Intermittent
        01330 - Comfort system central control module No communication
            Intermittent
        01304 - Radio No communication
            Intermittent

19 Gateway

System description: Gateway K<->CAN    0001
    Software number: 6N0909901
    Coding: 00006

Trouble codes:
            Intermittent
        01336 - Combination Comfort databus No communication
            Intermittent
            Intermittent
        01330 - Comfort system central control module No communication
            Intermittent
        01304 - Radio No communication
            Intermittent
        01320 - Climatronic control module No communication
            Intermittent
        01331 - Driver side door control module No communication
            Intermittent
        01332 - Frt.pass. side door control module No communication
            Intermittent
        01333 - Left rear door control module No communication
            Intermittent
        01334 - Right rear door ctrl. module No communication
            Intermittent
        00463 - Digital Sound System Control Module No communication
            Intermittent
        01303 - Telephone transceiver No communication
            static

25 Immobilizer

System description: Adresse 17 eingeben
    Software number: Bitte

Trouble codes:
        No trouble codes found

46 Central Module Comfort System

System description: H9 Komfortgerát HLO 0004
    Software number: 1C0959799B
    Coding: 00259

Trouble codes:
        01330 - Comfort system central control module Voltage supply too low
            Intermittent
            Intermittent
            static
        01334 - Right rear door ctrl. module No communication
            Intermittent
            Intermittent
            Intermittent
            Intermittent
            static
            static
            static
        01333 - Left rear door control module Voltage supply too low
            Intermittent

56 Radio

System description: Radio DE2
    Software version: 0015
    Hardware number: 1U0035195C
    Coding: 0000025

Trouble codes:
        01317 - Instrument cluster control module No signal/communication
            Intermittent
        00849 - S-contact at ignition starter switch No signal/communication
            Intermittent
        01064 - Terminal 58d interior light dimmer No signal/communication
            Intermittent
        00625 - Speed signal No signal/communication
            Intermittent
        01336 - Combination Comfort databus No signal/communication
            Intermittent

I also took the front passenger door panel off to continuity check the wiring back into the passenger foot-well; all appear to be connected correctly.  I also removed the door lock (3B2 837 015 L) while I was there and checked the three micro-switches; all appeared to work correctly.

https://goo.gl/photos/gRBeryJoo3HG4PeLA

So my questions are:

1. Can I. assuming my CCM is half-dead, buy another from a breakers yard, with code 1C0959799B, and simply connect it up? If I need to re-code can I use OBDeleven device?

2. Why is the Air Conditioning showing 10.5 V when the car battery is 13.8 V ? See this image: https://goo.gl/photos/WoGGEgmEMr362aEa9

3. Should I take out the front passenger seat and lift the carpet to check the harness all the way back into the rear foot-well?

4. Why am I switching between dual wire and single wire 40 times in 60 seconds? See this image: https://goo.gl/photos/6eyZARWcGcyy2EWq7

I'll leave you with this: https://goo.gl/photos/M68oLUjWd7t44A8Z8

...and this bucket of pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/hEfAoKaDyF6Rp5Wu5

I appreciate any help,

Patrick.

If I am correct, the rocker switch in the front centre head lining (over the rear view mirror) should be in the middle position to be activated by an open door, i.e. pushing down fully on the right side switches off, and down fully on the left turns on the light irrelative of the door being open or closed.

The print on the switch reflects that to some degree.

The AC will run for 3-5 seconds, stop or for 3-5 seconds, and repeat this cycle. Those is my first Skoda so cannot say whether those is normal or not (I have access to another but the AC doesn't work).

Hi Patrick, this all sounds too familiar, particularly the part about the dot matrix display for the radio. I bought my 04 Superb a few months ago and suspected it had a water ingress problem though not as bad as some. Needless to say I whipped out the two bungs from the plenum chamber and then fitted the improved cabin filter gasket kit which I got from the local main dealer. Since then (touch wood) the carpet behind the passenger side has stayed dry and some of the problems, such as the radio display have gone away.

Sorry I can't answer your questions but I can recommend the gasket kit.

Ken, thanks for the info. I will look into the sensor issue and see what I can find on here.

Bridgerectifier, thanks for the recommendation. I, in my (in)finite wisdom, was stuck so I grabbed my silicone gun, stripped the cabin filter housing down and replaced the original idiotic seal with silicone.

That was last weekend. One week later and the dot matrix display does not flicker 'as much'. I have the passenger carpet propped up so it can dry out. One week later and it's not dry yet; I understand it's winter but I drive everyday with full heat!!!

PS. I plan to replace the seal on the other side too, the one that protects the engine ECM.

I did some testing during the week; after disconnecting the loom to the passenger door the voltage across the CCM no longer jumps around when the car is locked up. There is a completely boring video here: https://goo.gl/photos/t2xTmdeft48qNxMt9

The multimeter was inside on the passenger seat and I was outside in the cold recording through the passenger window.

I decided to purchase a door lock and try to fit it before I start my next test - parasitic drain!!

Here are some pics of the door lock (£18:99 on eBay): https://goo.gl/photos/kREUDRE75Go9uyZd7

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151326094718

Do yourself a favour and read the sticky thread at the top of the Superb 1 section from beginning to end it is an invaluable resource lots of your answers will be there, pretty much everyone on here has been through this mess as they all leak sooner or later. Hairdryer, dehumidifier you will get it dry eventually, dry it from underneath otherwise it will smell, mould etc. A good tip too is to run the climate on auto so that the AC runs too (provided outside temp is 5C or higher) and it will help dry things out. I used a 3M mastic tape type seal comes in a roll (similar to what the dealers have from the repair Bulletin), makes a good seal and is easier to apply.

Other sites of water entry, door carriers same sealing issues as the pollen filter housing check for water under carpet front and rear left and right, if you have a sunroof pinch the sunroof drain nipples in the front door jambs, I snipped a few mm off the end of them and they have stayed free since then, just test all the four drains to make sure there are not blocked. Its a pain to do it, so do a good complete job on it and it will be sorted, let us know how the door lock works out, I am down to one working from 4, opening the others manually.

Edited by gfinneran

Do yourself a favour and read the sticky thread at the top of the Superb 1 section from beginning to end it is an invaluable resource lots of your answers will be there, pretty much everyone on here has been through this mess as they all leak sooner or later. Hairdryer, dehumidifier you will get it dry eventually, dry it from underneath otherwise it will smell, mould etc. A good tip too is to run the climate on auto so that the AC runs too (provided outside temp is 5C or higher) and it will help dry things out. I used a 3M mastic tape type seal comes in a roll (similar to what the dealers have from the repair Bulletin), makes a good seal and is easier to apply.

Thank you for the four advice, yes I've read that thread numerous times, amongst many others. Where I went wrong, or whatI didn't realise was that it is possessible to have little/no corrosion in the front passenger footwell but have complete electrical failure in the rear passenger footwell.

• Like 1

Other sites of water entry, door carriers same sealing issues as the pollen filter housing check for water under carpet front and rear left and right, if you have a sunroof pinch the sunroof drain nipples in the front door jambs, I snipped a few mm off the end of them and they have stayed free since then, just test all the four drains to make sure there are not blocked. Its a pain to do it, so do a good complete job on it and it will be sorted, let us know how the door lock works out, I am down to one working from 4, opening the others manually.

Thankfully I don't have a sunroof!

I fitted the new front passenger door lock and the indicator on the dot matrix showed the door open and closed correctly. A small win. So far the eBay lock seems to work fine. It's on the passenger door so not used very often; may take some time on my car to get fully tested.

• Like 1

That door will probably now leak and flood your car.  Once you take off the carrier panel to change a lock the foam seal between carrier and door fails.  You need to apply a sealant to the join between the carrier panel and the door in a U shape, about half way up the door.  You can apply the sealant with the carrier panel fitted, just use something good like Shell Thixophalte or get the official kit from Skoda.

That door will probably now leak and flood your car. Once you take off the carrier panel to change a lock the foam seal between carrier and door fails. You need to apply a sealant to the join between the carrier panel and the door in a U shape, about half way up the door. You can apply the sealant with the carrier panel fitted, just use something good like Shell Thixophalte or get the official kit from Skoda.

Thank you for the great advice. I purchased SHELL TIXOPHALTE WET SEAL & FIX SEALANT 310ML on Amazon. I will strip back the door and apply this weekend. I found a good video on YouTube that shows how to apply it correctly.

Edited by Pajo16

So I believe that I have resolved ALL the issues are now resolved.

From the original list:

Cruise control will turn off after 1 - 3 minutes - Fixed.

Interior light will not come on after opening either passenger or driver door. - Fixed.

The image of the car in the red dot matrix display will show driver door opening but not passenger door. - Fixed with need front passenger door lock (£20).

Air conditioning cuts in / out. - Fixed.

Using window controls on the driver side the drivers window goes up and down fine but the other three 'stutter' up and down. - Fixed.

Using the window control on the front passenger side the passenger will go up and down smoothly.

The Radio station in the red dot matrix display cuts in and out intermittently. - Fixed

Locking the car from inside, or outside using the key fob, the passenger door button pops back up after initially going down. - Fixed with need front passenger door lock (£20).

The car battery dies within 12 hours - I tried four new batteries there all act the same ( I have access to new batteries ) - Fixed.

The issues above marked as 'Fixed', were fixed by replacing the splices in the rear passenger footwell (directly behind the front passenger).

This is where it gets interesting. I had little to no corrosion in the splices in the from passenger front footwell, however, in the rear footwell, the four splices were completely rotten.

Here are some pictures of what I found back there:

https://goo.gl/photos/3oazcsTpACZUqfxi6

Please note I had to remove the front passenger seat which is wired to the airbag. I disconnected the battery 30 minutes before that, but if you decide to disconnect the seat wires you need to research how long to leave the battery disconnected to ensure your safety.

Also, I found out that I have puddle lights!!, and lights in the steering wheel showing the cruise and radio controls.

Can I also highly recommend the ODBeleven for quick analysis of the faults present. I see a lot of posts about VCDS, I have never used that, but the ODBeleven seems to do what I need.

Thanks for everyone's help with this. Looking back now I should have posted in the sticky at the top of this forum.

I hope the pictures help others.

PS, I used grit 2000 sandpaper to clean off the black off the copper wire on the twisted pair CAN.

Finally where I did cut back the twisted pairs I paired then back equality to preserving CAN signal.

• Like 2

Well done.  I expect you're feeling very pleased with everything working again, and a dry car too!

It's such a pity that the car, together with Passats and I imagine Audis too has problems that would probably make them scrap if you were paying dealer prices to repair these designed-in issues.

Edited by Tdi1.9
  • Like 1

Well done.  I expect you're feeling very pleased with everything working again, and a dry car too!

It's such a pity that the car, together with Passats and I imagine Audis too has problems that would probably make them scrap if you were paying dealer prices to repair these designed-in issues.

Cost me a fortune to get our MKI water ingress issues sorted at a main dealer (which we've kept as it's pretty much worthless, is in lovely condition and I love it!). So well done and much respect too, on persisting and getting all the problems resolved. Brilliant!

• Like 1