Where to buy and live in a 100k family house? North East?

mender

Hi all

Just an idea for now, but...

I'm working all hours and dealing with people who actively are trying to disrupt my business, my wife is working full time in a complicated school role for an insultingly-low salary (she'd earn double in Aldi) and we are tiring.

We could sell our 4 bed, 3 reception, large garden, semi detached house and walk away with around £100k in cash after all is paid off and buy somewhere cash and take a breath whilst our primary school age kids are still young enough for change.  We own property in Poland which we spend every minute of school holidays at, but want to be happy in the UK for the other 40 weeks of the year and for the kids to settle well and thrive.

With other considerations ignored for now, is there anywhere nice for a young family to move to, where a decent quality 3 bed terrace/semi could be secured for under 100k?  We'd need something in a "nice" location with decent schooling and not in the centre of a deprived estate or similar.

We've looked on Rightmove and Derby, Nottingham or the North East has a fair few attractive looking places for our budget, but I know nothing of the areas....and assume that there is a good reason for the low prices...

We are happy to downsize and make compromises with the property, but the area, quality of life, schooling and well-being is important.

For example, we'd squeeze into a small property in Whitby or somewhere nice, but not consider a fantastic large house in a rough spot where the local school will be full of troubled kids.

Is it possible?

Any suggestions?

Anyone done the same?

Thanks to all

Come North

http://www.tspc.co.uk/4-Bed-Semi-Detached-Villa-For-Sale-16-Knowehead-Crescent-Kirriemuir-DD8-5AB

And less jokingly the local school there is genuinely excellent.

Cheers for that, looks really nice and a major advantage is that Scotland may yet stay in the EU..!!

My wife wants to stay in England, though...but that is absolutely spot on for a decent family house

We'd consider anything in a really nice spot next to good school, not just a house...

There are a lot of areas of Lincolnshire you can buy within budget.

We have just bought a large 3 bed semi detached in Gainsborough for well under £100k.

Ha, never thought of there-will do some research!

That would also be really handy to be nearer to East Midlands Airport as we fly to Lodz, Poland at lot (I've done 12 flights so far in 2016, due out again next week)

Our place is 1.98 miles from Lodz airport, but 100 miles, much of it twisties this end from EMA-being closer would be ace

I think this is going to happen a lot, I think people are looking at alternatives to working their nuts off to pay a mortgage. This is something I have discussed with my mrs but looks like we will wait until the kids are older before making a move.

Good luck to you, I was looking at South Wales initially 

I think this is going to happen a lot, I think people are looking at alternatives to working their nuts off to pay a mortgage. This is something I have discussed with my mrs but looks like we will wait until the kids are older before making a move.

Good luck to you, I was looking at South Wales initially 

A bit of a leap in the dark, as the areas we are familiar with are all the same price or more expensive than here...

Our kids are at the right age to take a move in their stride at present, but we have my Parents to consider-I'd want them to come too...

I guess it is a pipe-dream but you never know, maybe someone will shine a light on the solution?!

We are thinking of down sizing as both our Sons have left home. Sell our 3 Bed Bungalow, pay off the small Mortgage, buy a smaller New build in say Scarborough or Bridlington ( within 5 or 10 miles of either,) Take my Lump sum from my Pension, Mrs G's mother sadley died earlier this year so her part of the estate will also go into the pot.

If all works out New House, Mortage free and a pot of around £150K plus my Weekly pension.

That's the plan anyway, January 2018, I hope to be in New Zealand watching a New Zealand V England Test Match

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

We are thinking of down sizing as both our Sons have left home. Sell our 3 Bed Bungalow, pay off the small Mortgage, buy a smaller New build in say Scarborough or Bridlington ( within 5 or 10 miles of either,) Take my Lump sum from my Pension, Mrs G's mother sadley died earlier this year so her part of the estate will also go into the pot.

If all works out New House, Mortage free and a pot of around £150K plus my Weekly pension.

That's the plan anyway, January 2018, I hope to be in New Zealand watching a New Zealand V England Test Match

With a glass of a good Marlborough?

Ha, never thought of there-will do some research!

That would also be really handy to be nearer to East Midlands Airport as we fly to Lodz, Poland at lot (I've done 12 flights so far in 2016, due out again next week)

Our place is 1.98 miles from Lodz airport, but 100 miles, much of it twisties this end from EMA-being closer would be ace

And if you move to west Lincs/east Notts around Gaisborough or Bawtry you will be even closer to DSA/Robin Hood Airport which, IIRC, is served by WIZZ. DSA is a fantastic little airport and is only 10-15 minutes out of Doncaster and the East Coast mainline. Lots of places to look at. Good luck with your quest.

• Like 1

We are moving over the river from Bristol to the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, its a lot cheaper there and even cheaper still if you cross the border to South Wales. We are upsizing from a 2 bed end of terrace to a 3 bed semi with a garage and a big garden and are buying the house for £20k less than we have sold ours for. South Wales is a beautiful part of the world and Cardiff airport would be very close for your trips to Poland too.

• Like 1

Pontefract/Castleford fits that price range pretty well and is currently swamped in masses of new developments. There is also a large Polish community if its something you'd want.

I'll take a look on Rightmove, cheers

Another vote for Lincolnshire. This is available near us:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56530528.html

Probably too small for your needs but there are some good schools nearby and a very short walk to pub, shops etc. Downside? We're less than a mile from RAF Coningsby so if you're not in to noisy aeroplanes then this area is probably not for you. And it is very rural so farmland and tractors aplenty.

And you would have me for a neighbour!

• Like 1

Depends if work is a factor and you need somewhere to run the business from as well?

You're never going to get away from the work problems. Low wages in employment and nob head customers in self employment are universal, wherever you go.

Edited by StevesTruck
  • Like 1

Depends if work is a factor and you need somewhere to run the business from as well?

You're never going to get away from the work problems. Low wages in employment and nob head customers in self employment are universal, wherever you go.

Still working this out....with no mortgage or any borrowing and a decent smaller house with lower costs, we'd have to think what income we'd need, certainly it would be an awful lot less than now....

I could take my business with me and scale it down, plus do bus/coach work as and when needed.

I live in Scu nthorpe in N. Lincolnshire and i bought my house for £80k, spent £16k on it and it's worth about £110/15 for a large semi with big garden and massive garage etc

You wont need to go to Poland though, theres a large number of Polish in Scun thorpe now working in the factorys.

Robin Hood airport and Humberside airport are less than 30 mins, east midlands is an hour.

Edited by pip_vrs
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been working on this....even though I have got over my strop at idiots and am now just proud to make an honest living, feed the kids and deal with issue after issue and have the reserve to keep going as many small business owners do year in, year out.

We'll probably have to stay put and keep at it for many years to come, but I've done a lot of research on internet, hours and hours to see what possibilities are out there...

Been to sniff around edges of Midlands, to see what 100k buys nearer home but as I guessed it buys something scruffy in a deprived area hence the low price, just like it would buy a 3 bed in the worst parts of this area, where kids hang around and many don't work.  Maybe I have answered the question?

But, as said Pontefract looks good value, not sure of area and surrounds; Knottingley and other bits seem even cheaper....same with North East and a huge part of Liverpool.

We almost went up Sun-Mon but the weather was atrocious and we missed a £25 Travelodge deal in Doncaster by waiting until Sunday to book.

I'd be willing to make anything work, compromising on house (a flat or other would be fine) or condition but it is the area and schools that matter to us.  We need to stay in England rather than Wales or Scotland, too.  The dream would be a plot of land and to build a decent log cabin, but that is probably chasing rainbows for all the obvious reasons.

A decent terrace with a loft or 3 beds would suit, or a really good flat with a balcony, but parking is always the issue.

Hmm, any more ideas?

don't give up the search! I was looking at North Wales over Xmas, can get a lot for the money. My dream would be a large character property with some land and to maybe to holiday lets. It's more appealing than another 35 years on the hamster wheel

• Like 1