YETI EMISSIONS RECALL :( ISSUES :(

dubDEAN

thats the big worry that if anything goes wrong in the future with anything in the exhaust system they will deny it all anyway,with or without the fix ,I think the way VAG have handled the whole situation is pretty shabby to their customers.lies lies and more lies ,just waiting for the whole sitiation to fade away with time and not even our own government taking them to task until they were forced to by the EU.this must be why the solicitors have become active again.

• Like 1

thats the big worry that if anything goes wrong in the future with anything in the exhaust system they will deny it all anyway,with or without the fix ,I think the way VAG have handled the whole situation is pretty shabby to their customers.lies lies and more lies ,just waiting for the whole sitiation to fade away with time and not even our own government taking them to task until they were forced to by the EU.this must be why the solicitors have become active again.

Why should the UK government do anything? Our "rules" do not currently measure or take into account N0x emissions, just CO2.

So far no need to or so it has been.

As the EU Commission are now talking taking the UK & 6 other EU Governments to court for doing nothing very much time will tell what does happen 

other than the VW Group doing a voluntary Recall Actions recall for 'The Fix'. 

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-38247779

Likely things will stay the same, but who knows. 

Edited by Offski

Why should the UK government do anything? Our "rules" do not currently measure or take into account N0x emissions, just CO2.

Perhaps because of infringement of the type approval?

I have never read a thread with so many twisted knickers! My first diesel yeti was fine but I have switched to petrol to suit my currently lower mileage. From what I have read there seems to be little if any real problem and a lot of anxiety based on hysterical US lawyer driven kerfuffle.

• Like 3

Lawyers get involved after the US Authorities surely, 

and the EU Commission seems to be getting a few kicks in at Germany's major vehicle Manufacturer, 

the other Nations Government Authorities.

Amazing how the 2nd biggest manufacturer can be in crisis over nothing. 

30,000 employees lose their jobs and VW Group have to ramp up the introduction of EV's, drop out of Motorsports etc.

Just overblown.

• Like 1

What is the issue in the EU? There has never been a figure for NOx on any of my MOT results.

The issue in the EU is that they cheated on the emissions part of the Type Approval testing.

And to anyone that says, "Ah but they'd have passed even if they didn't have the cheating, cos it's only the US limits that are unachievable", or " The cheat software was there, but not active"; let me ask you how long it would take to remove a few lines of software that activated the cheating, and re-submit the cars for the test? A week?

Seems to be taking a tad longer.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

I'm not interested in the cheating software being there or not. Until the rules in the UK change, my Yeti stays as it is. Back in the 1980's our government started pushing diesel as the way forward, I remember the first people on my shift in the refinery buying diesel cars, and in a very short time diesel was the " IN THING " Production of diesel rocketed. I've seen no mention of this in the media. Something else will be bad for us tomorrow, just as we were told eating butter, white bread etc was bad, but all of a sudden it's ok again.

Back in the 1980's our government started pushing diesel as the way forward

I must admit I don't remember details from that far back, although the suggestion that diesel was gaining favour doesn't seem entirely unfamiliar. What  did the government change back then in order to make diesel more attractive?

One ex-minister apparently believes that it was in 2001, not the 1980s, that the government decided to "subsidise" diesel.  (IMO that could explain why he is now an ex-minister.)

• Like 2

& the last Transport Secretary Sir Patrick McLoughlin MP who was in front of the Transport Committee with the VW UK CEO was there.

He who will be the one shown to have done very little about Emissions & EU Testing, MOT's in the UK pre 2015, or since while still Transport Secretary.

He was also there in government when Margaret Thatcher MP / PM's Government was encouraging the use of diesel.

That is why he is still a MP, made a Peer & is the Chairman of the Conservative & Unionist party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_McLoughlin

Then there was & still is Sir Michael Heseltine.

He who owns Haymarket Publishing, Owned it sold it, bought it back, son now runs it with others,

Publisher of Autocar, What Car, Classic & Sport Car *Pistonheads*  etc,  the magazines that are not doing much Emissions Testing articles Pre & Post VW Fix, 

even though they also own the Company the Government may use for Future Testing.

A Government Minister back when, and even worked more recently for David Cameron (ex MP / PM) on some project with the Car Industry.

Jaguar Land Rover / TATA that would be.

He who was a middle man when VW were buying a UK Prestige Car Manufacturer. ie 'Bentley'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Heseltine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_Media_Group

See 'Haymarket Network', & 'Clients includes',

Obviously that includes Jaguar & VW, the 2nd Biggest Car Manufacturing Group in the world, the one with a huge Advertising Budget.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

I'm not interested in the cheating software being there or not. Until the rules in the UK change, my Yeti stays as it is. Back in the 1980's our government started pushing diesel as the way forward, I remember the first people on my shift in the refinery buying diesel cars, and in a very short time diesel was the " IN THING " Production of diesel rocketed. I've seen no mention of this in the media. Something else will be bad for us tomorrow, just as we were told eating butter, white bread etc was bad, but all of a sudden it's ok again.

The incentives were indirect and linked to CO2 emissions so far cheaper for road tax to run a more powerful diesel car as only the smallest 'city car' petrols fell into the zero tax band. Also the benefits in kind company car tax incentivised diesels. The government ignored NOx as a real issue and were content that cars meeting the EU type approval were fine and needed no further testing within the MOT regime. Greater congestion and better air quality monitoring in areas of concern reveal how wrong they got this. However, they now have the dilemma of all these aging diesels on the road that people were encouraged to buy. Hit the owners of Euro V diesels and their will be uproar - there are so many of them. The problem will go away only if they have a diesel Euro V scrappage scheme linked to banning them from certain city centres. However the cost doesn't yet add up.

In a way, 'dieselgate' has just brought all this to a head. The government could introduce a NOx test in the MOT and set limits within % of type approval. That would possibly help if linked to making the fix mandatory. Giving other manufacturers an 'amnesty' to weed out any other cheats, then police type approval for future cheats.

Edited by Falmouthboy
  • Like 1

... The government could introduce a NOx test in the MOT and set limits within % of type approval...

Long-term maybe, but I doubt there's an MOT garage in the country with a gas analyser capable of reliably measuring NOx levels. That would be a very expensive upgrade, I think.

The tragedy of all this is that CO2 probably was/is being reduced significantly by the 'diesel boom' and if you look at the emissions associated with refining diesel versus petrol, there's another huge environmental plus for diesel. But VW have cocked it all up now and made diesel into a devil that it isn't.

• Like 1

Long-term maybe, but I doubt there's an MOT garage in the country with a gas analyser capable of reliably measuring NOx levels. That would be a very expensive upgrade, I think.

The tragedy of all this is that CO2 probably was/is being reduced significantly by the 'diesel boom' and if you look at the emissions associated with refining diesel versus petrol, there's another huge environmental plus for diesel. But VW have cocked it all up now and made diesel into a devil that it isn't.

There isn't and it would mean all MOT stations having to buy new, very expensive equipment.

Also it is very difficult to make legislation retrospective.

Totally agree with the last paragraph!!