Auto lights

Hey all,

Searched but couldn't see much on the topic...

When my lights are on auto, they are always on what appears to be low beam with the DRL's (bi-xenon).

Should they, in broad day light only have the DRL's on?

Cheers

• Like 1

at this time of year then there's a fair chance. As has been said depends how bright the day is but if it is bright and sunny the DRLs are all that should be on 

When I have my lights on the off position, only the DRL's light up but I always have them light up like in this pic (yes I know it's darker on the pic)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/indian-car-scene/1123540d1376059304-pics-report-2013-skoda-octavia-unveiled-mumbai-2013-octavia009.jpg

I'll take a picture tomorrow. Even at 2pm, when it's bright out, they were both on.

Tried going to the setup and changing the he setting from early, medium and late and it made no difference.

http://m.imgur.com/a/tNnaN

As you can see, it's light out and the pictures are in order of Auto, sidelights and on.

Seems that mine are always on for some reason.

Best to check both the Leuchte programming adaptation channels for the DRLs in the BCM (to see if any Tagfahrlicht settings have been added to make the DRLs come on with dipped beam) and the setting of the "Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO" adaptation channel (when that is active the DRLs should only be enabled in AUTO).

My auto lights (not Octavia III but Superb II) always come on when you need them - especially useful when driving through tunnels abroad. They also come on when it is raining - this is also great.

However when it's daylight they also illuminate at times when I wouldn't expect them to - I am wondering if it is when the sun is lowish in the sky.

Best to check both the Leuchte programming adaptation channels for the DRLs in the BCM (to see if any Tagfahrlicht settings have been added to make the DRLs come on with dipped beam) and the setting of the "Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO" adaptation channel (when that is active the DRLs should only be enabled in AUTO).

Will do - is this something the dealer would have set? Only had it a week?

You can set sensitivity of auto lights in menu.

Already tried all three different settings. Currently on medium but when changing to early/late it makes no difference.

That being said, do I need to just change it or should I have to do something after?

Will do - is this something the dealer would have set? Only had it a week?

Dealers, and the factory, don't seem to be consistent with different cars having different settings.

Might be worth getting someone local with VCDS/VCP/OBDEleven to take a look as well.

Tried this but all it done was turn off the DRL's when the lights were set to off.

Will give the dealer a quick call and see what they suggest.

I've got a new to me 2013 Ocatvia III Combi with the exact same issue.

With the light switch in "0" the DRL's (LED stripe) is fully lit.
In "Auto" the DRLs are dimmed and the bi-xenon low beam always are ulluminated no matter the settings (early/medium/late).

Keep us updated if you find a solution.

• 3 weeks later...

I can only answer for my investigation in this case.

After several tries it looks like my car is acting as it is meant to. The problem seems to be lack of proper daylight.

Only once I've seen my car turn off the low beams and lit the LED bar to full strength with the light switch in "Auto"

For now I've decided to wait for longer and brighter days.

I have read that on some other cars (Golf, Jetta) you may compensate for different tint of the windscreen but that's not possible on my MY14 Octavia.

Edited by Arguzen
  • Like 1

... and mine are also on an awful lot of the time. When there's direct sunlight on the screen, they'll turn themselves off, but if there's a grey sky, they're probably on. That's on "early". 

- Bret

DRL and dipped beam should never be on together.

When it's dark enough for the dipped beam to be turned on in auto, the DRLs should get turned off.

Not on models equipped with the bi-xenon headlights (as here on the SE Sport).

The DRL's do not turn off, they dim to perform the role of side lights and/or parking lights.

Did have some bright daylight for the first time this year today. Actually for the first time in a very long time.

Went outside to test the lights.

Started up the car and the DRLs and only the DRLs lit up. When I laid my palm over the sensor in the windscreen it didn't take long before the dipped beams lit. Removed my palm form the sensor and after a few seconds the dipped beam turned off and the DRLs came back in full strenght.

I hate to admit it but it seems that my sensor is working as expected. I should only wish it was possible to tweak the sensitivity a bit.

An upside is that I can leave out the diagnosis of the light sensor when leaving the car for service in 3 weeks time. Approx £75 saved on the bill.

A "work around" until a more permanent solution is found is to set the light switch to "0" when I want only the DRLs to be lit and not the dipped beams.

Misses out on the auto function but still.

Will have to read, search and dig for some further information regarding the sensibility of the light sensor.

. . . A "work around" until a more permanent solution is found is to set the light switch to "0" when I want only the DRLs to be lit and not the dipped beams.

Misses out on the auto function but still.

Will have to read, search and dig for some further information regarding the sensibility of the light sensor.

Ah! The old ways are the best :-)

@groberts. Did this issue get resolved? Mine is doing the same.

Sorry mate, only just seen this.

They're still coming on a lot sooner than I would like, even with the setting set to Late, however I've just got used to it :(

• Like 1