EA 189 LATEST NEWS

Just been in my local dealer for a sump plug (£2.96) !!!! Whilst there, I asked whether there was any news on the update and was told that for my 1.6, it is software only and takes about an hour. This takes  some believing; if it is only software, why go to all the trouble of the defeat in the first place?

The 2.0 & 1.2 TDI were said to just require a Software change, 

the 1.6 TDI CR also required a Hardware part. (bit of plastic, air flow modification.)

?

Has this now changed to just a Software / Engine Management change without the 'Bit of Plastic' being required?

?

Are you getting it done?

9 or 10 years ago they were getting R & D & a contractor to have Software / Engine Management & a Defeat Device in a ECU.

Now they are just getting Engine Management to let the German Regulator allow them off the hook & keep other EU & RoW Governments happy.

(If 7 EU Governments are taken to Court By the EU Commission then who knows what the future holds if the Fix Fixes nothing.

Or they allow Vehicles to go around without The Fix.)

Time will tell the truth of 'The Fix' as far as cars being driven on the roads rather than just in EU Testing.

PS

A bit pricey for a Sump Plug.  

Is this a special Main Dealership that like to mark up the price of parts so that they can have a nice shiny showroom?

Edited by Offski

That is the price that VW charged me for a drain plug as well, worse than that, £10.18 for a drain plug and oil filter for a 1.4 16V petrol engine! (filter packaged in new style trendy plain brown cardboard box - VW group's nod to "greener issues"?

And yes, at that VW dealer, as it has been fully modernised, there is no access to parts department, if you walk past the slightly matronly meeters and greeters, you are out of luck as no one will appear out from parts department - even if you hang about near a "parts" and "service" area - nice, lesson learned! The flip side of that situation is, that VW dealer is located next door to a large plush furniture and home goods store - and they have clean toilets and a huge mainly empty car park - sorted!

Edit:- all showroom cars seem to be "plumbed up" with CTEK charging leads so that they can quickly rotate the CTEK chargers around and keep these cars alive. Well maybe except the electric ones and the ones with the covers on emblazoned with "I'm ready to go home"!

Edited by rum4mo

Tell them straight and watch it being written down.

Do not carry out any Software Updates or carry out the VW's Fix to remove the Defeat Device from my vehicle.

They will ask you to sign a Declaration you do not want it carried out, 

you can if you wish, and the 'Fix' can still be carried out at a later date.

I was told that there is now only a software change, no plastic mesh, etc.

I agree about the price of the sump plug to pay for the new counters, etc.

I will be removing the washer and fitting a new copper washer every other  oil change from now on; why this is not standard, I don't know. I alternate with a vacuum pump to remove the oil by the way; saves jacking up and removing the undertray etc.

I am still undecided about this update. Has anyone had it done yet, I wonder?

For the usual price of less than £2 for a sump plug it is no major cost to fit a new one of you are not taking the oil out of the dip stick tube.

Just name the Dealership that says the 1.6 TDI Fix is just a Software Update and then it will be out there and we will find out 

if that is correct when Skoda / VW / Audi / Seat get around to a up to date press release & videos.

Edited by Offski

I reiterate;   My local dealer is Hayseldens of Doncaster and I was told it is a software update ONLY.  I said I had heard that there was to be some kind of air flow device fitted and was told  that this is not the case.

I was also told that the programme is way behind schedule; has anybody actually had it done, I wonder?

Frankly, this matter is a disgrace and reflects badly on Skoda as a whole. 

• Like 1

There were 3 people involved; 1 from service reception, 1 from parts and 1 from sales. They looked up my reg. number on the computer and as I said, when I was told it was only software I said that It was common knowledge that a mesh of some kind was due to be fitted. They were emphatic that no such thing was to be fitted. I then said that if it was a simple software fix, why had they gone down the defeat and cheat route in the first place. They just smiled and offered no answer. As I said, this is Skoda at it's worst.

The only way I can see forward is by Government intervention, and, frankly, they do not seem interested in the slightest.

I've had mine done in ireland software and plastic piece in air intake duct, shown it by service manager before fitting

Has it made any difference to fuel consumption/performance?

As pointed out my car was remapped, fuel consumption is still the same but power is way down back to 75, to be honest it's been remapped again in January, it was a tick box exercise on my behalf

• 1 month later...

Just had my car back from its service and notice on the service history they gave me which ironically wasn't on the online checker that they carried campaign 23R6 when I put it in for a winter check up back in December. 

Google it and seems its the emissions recall. 

I did say when it was in and asked when the recalls took place I didn't want the update and they said it's fine I don't have to. 

Spoke to a friend that works at the dealer and he said they haven't started doing the updates for the 1.6 just the 2.0's

1 hour ago, Offski said:

So are you asking them why it shows as '23R6' carried out if it was not.  I take it there is no sticker in the Boot showing it as done?

Is this Parks of Hamilton?

Yep it was, it was in for the winter check up but they did that by mistake. 

I took the intake off and theres no flow reatrictor there but they don't know how to amend the service history to take it off and said if I plan to sell the car (which I don't) to call them and they will confirm the work hasn't been done. 

20 hours ago, Offski said:

Very odd behaviour on their part, not something easily done by mistake, and they could not have had a payment from Skoda / VW for doing the work.

?

Does your car no longer show on the VIN checker for vehicles due the Recall Action due to the VW Cheat?

It still shows as needing done on the vin checker. 

Any chance you can pm me it won't let me pm you

• 4 months later...

I got a letter through saying that its time for the EA189 NOx emissions service action to be applied.

Is there any more information with regards to the 1.6?

Worse to drive/economy/reliability?

I've read alot about people having problems with other models but cant seem to find much out about the Mk2 Fabia 1.6 or maybe im just using the search wrong!

Difficult to find anything on them since Skoda are only now starting to get them in if owners are going to.

Plenty on 1.6TDI CR's in VW's that have already been getting done.

Why would you take your car in if it runs OK.

Best wait it can get done anytime into the future and by then you will know the T&C's of the 2 year extended warranty and its limits if VW Group do introduce it.

EDIT.  Here is one for you.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/434368-rapid-spaceback-16tdi-emissions-recall 

Edited by Awayoffski

Aye I wasnt actually keen on getting the 'fix'. Will hold off and hope that it doesn't become mandatory.

Its a little bit frustrating because I only just got the car in march and not once was it mentioned by the main skoda dealer that it would be subject to this recall even though they must have known it would be at that point. I suppose that is partly down to me not asking the question but at that time i thought it only applied to the 2.0's.

There is no 'Recall',  just a Campaign to remove Defeat Devices with no compulsion to have it done.

It can not become mandatory in the UK as there is no Safety Recall and no actions enforced against VW who seem to argue there is nothing illegal about the Defeat Device in the EU.

The MOT Legislation would need to be changed and that might then include many other vehicles, and if manufacturers 'had' to Recall all cars and then Modify them they would have to pay Owners for their time wasted and any losses they suffered.

That seems to be just something that was required in the USA as they have stricter emissions requirements, testing and laws that hold manufacturers responsible.