Drop In MPG...

DamoR

Recently ive noticed im really struggling to get high 30's mpg... im sure i used to get 38-45 easily when driving normally unless im going mad. 

I have a new set of plugs waiting to go in so thats my first idea.. anyone else have any ideas why my mpg may have dropped? 

I use Tesco Momentum 99 fuel and car is on 44k, FSSH

If i drive like a seriously committed sunday driver on my journey home from work (29 miles) i only hit 40 mpg as im pulling up at my door. the journey is a mixture of duel carriage way and A roads not going over 70 at any point. 

Cheers

Damo

Ive convinced myself it was Tesco Momentum, Had a really poor month only 260 miles off a full tank. Switched back to Shell nitro now. Done 80 miles & just below 3/4. So i should get 300 miles

I only do short weekday journeys with occasional 20 mile trip at weekend

Easy to see if the new spark plugs in help, put them in.

The MPG does usually suffer as the single plug gap gets bigger.

Have you noticed as it gets colder how many more miles you drive before the oil indicates 50*0C then until it gets to 80*oC?

That is when it uses more fuel, not up to operating temperature.

There is now Winter Formulation Petrol in the Filling Stations, 

but with Super Unleaded 99 ron minimum that usually means better performing fuel.

Just like the lovely stuff they sell in Winter in Germany etc.

A tank of Shell V-Power Nitro+ is £2.25 more than Tesco Momentum 99, so that can buy you near 2 litres more of momentum.

As it is the thing with Royal Dutch Shell's fuel is do you want their detergents that are used in engines that can suffer from Bore Wash.

& as it is Tesco Momentum 99 has detergents as well, and the fuel stock can come in from the same source, even in the same fuel tankers ships,

Greenergy the produce Momentum & Shell share facilities.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Ive convinced myself it was Tesco Momentum, Had a really poor month only 260 miles off a full tank. Switched back to Shell nitro now. Done 80 miles & just below 3/4. So i should get 300 miles

I only do short weekday journeys with occasional 20 mile trip at weekend

i reckon you could be right as i used to use shell and switched in the last month to tesco.. gonna do plugs anyway

Easy to see if the new spark plugs in help, put them in.

The MPG does usually suffer as the single plug gap gets bigger.

Have you noticed as it gets colder how many more miles you drive before the oil indicates 50*0C then until it gets to 80*oC?

That is when it uses more fuel, not up to operating temperature.

There is now Winter Formulation Petrol in the Filling Stations, 

but with Super Unleaded 99 ron minimum that usually means better performing fuel.

Just like the lovely stuff they sell in Winter in Germany etc.

A tank of Shell V-Power Nitro+ is £2.25 more than Tesco Momentum 99, so that can buy you near 2 litres more of momentum.

As it is the thing with Royal Dutch Shell's fuel is do you want their detergents that are used in engines that can suffer from Bore Wash.

& as it is Tesco Momentum 99 has detergents as well, and the fuel stock can come in from the same source, even in the same fuel tankers ships,

Greenergy the produce Momentum & Shell share facilities.

Cheers george,

yer im guessing the time to get up to running temp is a factor and as most of my journeys are around the 30 mile mark im only really getting about 15 miles at full temp.

as for shell only being £2.25 a tank more.. its a bit more than that down here. Tesco is £1.16 a ltr and shell is around £1.25 so looking about £4.50 a tank more.

I would buy the Tesco Momentum even if it cost the same as Shell V-Power Nitro +. 

I have too many times bought Shell V-Power, then Shell V-Power Nitro+ and been sold a pup. not the Super Unleaded.

Only once did i get crap Tesco Momentum 99, and that was outside Blackpool when going to Santa Pod.

Not a happy chappy that day on the M6,

Luckily i had 102 ron in cans in the boot.

Detergents are not needed really with a Twincharger, they love some ethanol though.

That'd explain why I normally have about 400-420 miles in a tank overall where-as at the moment it's looking to be about 300-ish... ok I lead-footed a bit but it can't be that :notme:

• Like 1

That'd explain why I normally have about 400-420 miles in a tank overall where-as at the moment it's looking to be about 300-ish... ok I lead-footed a bit but it can't be that :notme:

what fuel you on SkyL1n3?

I would buy the Tesco Momentum even if it cost the same as Shell V-Power Nitro +. 

I have too many times bought Shell V-Power, then Shell V-Power Nitro+ and been sold a pup. not the Super Unleaded.

Only once did i get crap Tesco Momentum 99, and that was outside Blackpool when going to Santa Pod.

Not a happy chappy that day on the M6,

Luckily i had 102 ron in cans in the boot.

Detergents are not needed really with a Twincharger, they love some ethanol though.

How many fuels chemists do Tesco employ then? I'm guessing that the answer is a round number.

TESCO do not make fuel do they.?

That will be Greenergy that produce it.  Greenergy that produce for Esso & others, Greenergy that shares / owns in partnership facilities in the UK with Royal Dutch Shell.

Both who have total knowledge of every consignment of fuels from the Oil to the Refineries then to distribution depots and as they transport it around the world.

Not some back street Home Brand Bean Producers.

http://greenergy.com

http://greenergy.com/uk

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent

Edited by Offski

{whoosh}

TESCO do not make fuel do they.?

That will be Greenergy that produce it.  Greenergy that produce for Esso & others, Greenergy that shares / owns in partnership facilities in the UK with Royal Dutch Shell.

Both who have total knowledge of every consignment of fuels from the Oil to the Refineries then to distribution depots and as they transport it around the world.

Not some back street Home Brand Bean Producers.

http://greenergy.com

http://greenergy.com/uk

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent

The point is not the refined stock, or the name on the side of the road tanker that takes it to your local, but the additives package used. I've talked to tanker drivers, and, for example, BP, Esso and Shell all have their own separate loading points in the refinery, which is where the additives are combined with the refined base stock. Yes, the octane or citane is all the same, but the other 2% of what you pump isn't!

We pay for fuel and pay tax and duty, if ethanol raises the octane to 99ron minimum, then fraud is being done if you don't get 99 minimum, to us and HMRC. Now if detergents are sodium you are not told, the other ingredients are possible to check, another member has them in a premium fuel thread. As to Royal Dutch Shell, what were their scientists smoking back 2 decades ago when the new SHELL formulation was killing engines, police cars in Fife etc. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you give more profit and pay for advertising agencies and mororsport sponsorship.

Edited by Offski

Ken please ask the drivers you know if they have ever helped a filling station commit fraud by putting 95ron unleaded into. a 97 or 99 Ron tank, allowing the station to profit from misselling or if mistakenly they have done it?

Yeah, Ken, you do that. Make absolutely sure that you record the conversation so that the driver can't subsequently say he "misspoke".

I don't believe that any normal driver, in the real world could tell whether they had 95, 97 or 99 RON in their petrol tank - I am equally sure that it would be blindingly obvious to an "abnormal" driver.

You are totally right, in that any normal driver in the real world can not really tell whether that has 95, 97 or 99 ron in the tank.

Can you tell?

But then the 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136kw Twincharger can tell and sometimes make even the biggest numpty in the world aware what fuel is being used.

So there might be enough abnormal owners and drivers that are aware, and feel misfires, hesitations, rough starting etc, 

then of course there is the recommended fuel for these engines and engine management, Super/ 98.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

We all like to save the planet and reduce emissions with an efficient running vehicle do we not?

Happy Christmas VXH26 / VXH28,  enjoy yourself.

Edited by Offski

And you too George, you too - and a specially happy Hogmanay and 2017 - genuinely, I am quite serious . . . for once ;)

George and vxh26 getting a long...

F*** off... I don't believe you :D

Edited by LGM
  • Like 1