2017 F1 General Discussion Topic

camelspyyder

I think the momentum has changed from Ferrari to Mercedes, slight hints of the last 3 years especially in qualifying. Key question is can Ferrari respond or will Mercedes take it by the scruff of the neck and run away with it.

• Like 1

Azerbaijan and dump in the same sentence?

Crap track better suited to Indycar I think.

The debris was all bits of F1 cars - not landfill.

They really should get rid of that stupid bit of single car wide track around the castle though.

Edited by camelspyyder

Would have thought that Gary Anderson of all people would know the rules about safety car restarts. Looks like the Fia think the second contact was deliberate so what will happen to Vettel? 

Jackie Stewart quoted yesterday that Hamilton braked or slowed down causing Vettel to run into him.

I thought the FIA stewards announced that didn't happen since they checked his telemetry before doling out penalties during the race?

They did. Hamilton was cleared. Still no word from Vettel or Ferrari, probably too late to stop the hearing even if a statement of apology is issued now. I think if Vettel had said something along the lines of 'the second contact was not intended' that would have been the end of it but maybe Ferrari told him to keep quiet

They know there's a precedent for a bigger punishment if they contest it.  Irvine's 1 race ban became 3 races when Jordan challenged the FIA verdict.

I think Ferrari will keep their heads down and hope the FIA don't go beyond a suspended ban (like Hakkinen got).

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

Jackie Stewart quoted yesterday that Hamilton braked or slowed down causing Vettel to run into him.

I thought the FIA stewards announced that didn't happen since they checked his telemetry before doling out penalties during the race?

Someone's feed is slow! ;) Jackie was spouting that nonsense before the race was even over!

Suspended ban would probably be on the table if Seb hadn't spouted off in Mexico. I'm thinking he will be dq from Baku result but nothing more than that, unless intent is proven. Monday should be an interesting day

Dan Ticktum was banned from racing worldwide for 2 years after crashing a rival off under safety car at Silverstone in 2015.

Mind you his actions were some way beyond Vettel's:

Ticktum, after a first-lap collision with Collard had dropped him to the back of the field, passed 13 yellow flags, four double-yellow flags, two white flags and 15 safety-car boards to catch back up to his rival during the safety-car period.  He also overtook 10 competitors under safety car conditions to catch and crash into MSA Formula championship rival Ricky Collard 

Lucky it wasn't a life ban really.

I have indeed seen the head on footage and it is damming to say the least. As I said before I'm still trying to give Vettel the benefit of the doubt but that has been fading. Jean Todts main aim is to promote road safety and Vettel certainly did not help that. I heard about the Ticktum case and agree he should be banned for life. 

No real surprise there I guess. Vettel gets lucky again so if he wins the title by 14 points or less, the title may be tainted somewhat. Hey ho, onward to Austria, maybe some karma will head Sebs way as I think he is already borderline on engine parts