2017 F1 General Discussion Topic

camelspyyder

Not forgetting how much the Mercedes struggles with dirty air, all the more difficult to pass at Hungary. Can't help but feel that Hamilton will regret handing back the place to Bottas at the end of the season

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ben1990 said:

Not forgetting how much the Mercedes struggles with dirty air, all the more difficult to pass at Hungary. Can't help but feel that Hamilton will regret handing back the place to Bottas at the end of the season

I was chuffed he done it though, Bottas was decent enough to let him having a go at the Ferrari even though I'm sure he knew Hamilton wouldn't manage it. I'm sure it'll pay itself at some point, when they ask again and Bottas complies and it works out for Hamilton, rather than ****ing him over and ended up with Bottas refusing next time.  Like Toto said, they win and lose as a team. 

Di Resta done well IMO, considering his lack of practice in the car. Also, shout out to Macca, I hope the progress will continue and they move forward. Alonso wacking his car into Qualy mode and smashing out a fastest lap was quality, along with the sunbathing stunt at the end :D 

• Like 3

Back in the days when he won his World Championships I was never an Alonso fan, but over the last couple of seasons I have become a huge admirer of him, both as a person and as a driver.

Bored stupid by the first half of today's race but the second half was tense. It never really delivered but it was not a snooze-fest. The Hungaroring needs to offer an overtaking opportunity; it sounds daft but all they need is another couple of hundred metres on the main straight and it would be great. I think.

They already did that.

The straight was stretched 200m in 2003, and I don't think the topography allows for further.

To be fair over the years there has been some great overtaking into turn 1, just not when the car you're following has DRS open as well as you.

Edited by camelspyyder

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 20:48, vrskeith said:

Hope the tests today went well for him.

Top man & Driver imo :https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport-f1-2017/robert-kubica-passes-fia-extraction-test-second-renault-f1-test

• 2 weeks later...

Cant give 'em away:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131280/toro-rossohonda-talks-collapse

after Sauber back out of their Honda deal the Toro Rosso talks collapse after several weeks as well.

Lucky Honda have still got McLaren (because no-one else wants to sell them an engine)

Edited by camelspyyder

1. How evenly matched are the top 2 this year?

2. Will a Force India have to fly into the grandstand before the team stop their 2 idiots crashing each other? The FIA should give Perez and Ocon a race ban each if the team won't take control of  them.

I'm still trying to work out how Hamilton kept Vettel behind at the end despite being on much harder tyres. Engine power helped of course but I would have thought that the tyre delta would have allowed Vettel to get drs then breeze past.

Agreed about the force India drivers, they need to curb it before they cause a major problem. Perez was too aggressive Imo, Ocon made a legitimate attempt to pass

14 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Red Bull bitching at Renault again. As if anyone else will sell them an engine?

Quote on the RenaultSport webpage....https://www.renaultsport.com/formula-1-pirelli-belgian-grand-prix-sunday.html

Not the case here but is Max "heavy handed" compared to Dani?   

Nico Hülkenberg, #27, R.S.17-04: Started P7, finished P6.
“It was a solid day; I’m happy and pleasantly surprised. I had a poor start but was able to rectify it at the first corner with a move down the inside to have a great run on Checo through Eau Rouge. The car felt better than yesterday and we were the fourth quickest team out there again which allowed us to finish in the top six. I had some great fighting with Fernando. It was pretty hairy getting three abreast with him and Esteban. Fernando was making a move with DRS and a big tow, then Esteban had a massive overshoot so for a moment I thought ‘oh gosh, it’s not going to end well,’ but fortunately it was great racing and I’m sure great to watch from the outside. I’ve definitely got good confidence heading to Monza.”

Jolyon Palmer, #30, R.S.17-03: Started P14, finished P13.
“I think the race could have gone better; we knew that taking a penalty would mean starting on used tyres with everyone around me on fresh sets and that was always going to put us on the back-foot. Despite that, I had a decent start and the car was much better once we changed tyres. It was just a case of being stuck in traffic for much of the race. I had some good fights though, they were fun, but it’s a shame not to have anything to show for it. Had we started seventh, points would have definitely been achievable today.”

Cyril Abiteboul, Managing Director
"Overall the team had a good race, making a return to the points, where it belongs, as fourth strongest in both qualifying and on race day. Nico equalled his season-best with sixth and despite a difficult first lap, he was able to come back strong with a very solid race strategy that was perfectly executed. Jolyon’s results were disappointing for him and for the team. The five-place grid penalty and the results today do not reflect his strong start to the weekend. We will investigate further to see what happened with the difference in pace from Saturday to Sunday.  
I want to mention Red Bull Racing. Their race was one of contrasts, on one side Daniel Ricciardo showed solid pace for another podium but on the other side Max Verstappen was forced to retire. An electronic systems issue seems to be at the heart of this problem. I personally apologise to Red Bull Racing and more specifically to Max and his many fans who are as disappointed as we are. We will work closely with RBR to define a course of action and a roadmap to eradicate issues such as this one which meant they couldn’t harness their package’s potential today."

Force India threaten to ban their own drivers:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131490/force-india-threatens-drivers-with-race-bans

I was reading yesterday that Perez said he's never had any trouble with team mates before.

He lied.

After the Bahrain Grand Prix, Jenson Button was quoted with the following on Pérez's driving style:

I've raced with many team-mates over the years and with quite an aggressive team-mate in Lewis, but I'm not used to driving down the straight and then my team-mate coming along and wiggling his wheels at me and banging wheels with me at 300km/h. I've had some tough fights in F1 but not quite as dirty as that. That's something you do in karting and normally you grow out of it but that's obviously not the case with Checo [Pérez]. Soon something serious will happen so he has to calm down. He's extremely quick and he did a great job today but some of it is unnecessary and an issue when you are doing those speeds.

— Jenson Button speaking to ESPN about Pérez after the 2013 Bahrain Grand Prix

He is a bad loser who cannot stand to be overtaken - 

At the 2013 Monaco Grand Prix Pérez performed several aggressive overtaking moves, before retiring after colliding with Kimi Räikkönen. Following the incident Räikkönen said that Pérez should be "punched in the face".

Mr laid-back Ice-Man said that?  Wow!

He also crashed Massa at very high speed in Canada.

But he is particularly over - aggressive with team mates.  If Force India lose a place in the constructors because of points lost by him it will cost them millions.

They should sack him now.  Ocon is faster already and a better prospect for the future.

Edited by camelspyyder

1 minute ago, lol-lol said:

Quote on the RenaultSport webpage....https://www.renaultsport.com/formula-1-pirelli-belgian-grand-prix-sunday.html

Not the case here but is Max "heavy handed" compared to Dani?   

Nico Hülkenberg, #27, R.S.17-04: Started P7, finished P6.
“It was a solid day; I’m happy and pleasantly surprised. I had a poor start but was able to rectify it at the first corner with a move down the inside to have a great run on Checo through Eau Rouge. The car felt better than yesterday and we were the fourth quickest team out there again which allowed us to finish in the top six. I had some great fighting with Fernando. It was pretty hairy getting three abreast with him and Esteban. Fernando was making a move with DRS and a big tow, then Esteban had a massive overshoot so for a moment I thought ‘oh gosh, it’s not going to end well,’ but fortunately it was great racing and I’m sure great to watch from the outside. I’ve definitely got good confidence heading to Monza.”

Jolyon Palmer, #30, R.S.17-03: Started P14, finished P13.
“I think the race could have gone better; we knew that taking a penalty would mean starting on used tyres with everyone around me on fresh sets and that was always going to put us on the back-foot. Despite that, I had a decent start and the car was much better once we changed tyres. It was just a case of being stuck in traffic for much of the race. I had some good fights though, they were fun, but it’s a shame not to have anything to show for it. Had we started seventh, points would have definitely been achievable today.”

Cyril Abiteboul, Managing Director
"Overall the team had a good race, making a return to the points, where it belongs, as fourth strongest in both qualifying and on race day. Nico equalled his season-best with sixth and despite a difficult first lap, he was able to come back strong with a very solid race strategy that was perfectly executed. Jolyon’s results were disappointing for him and for the team. The five-place grid penalty and the results today do not reflect his strong start to the weekend. We will investigate further to see what happened with the difference in pace from Saturday to Sunday.  
I want to mention Red Bull Racing. Their race was one of contrasts, on one side Daniel Ricciardo showed solid pace for another podium but on the other side Max Verstappen was forced to retire. An electronic systems issue seems to be at the heart of this problem. I personally apologise to Red Bull Racing and more specifically to Max and his many fans who are as disappointed as we are. We will work closely with RBR to define a course of action and a roadmap to eradicate issues such as this one which meant they couldn’t harness their package’s potential today."

In the past driver technique would certainly threaten the mechanical parts, but you would think that modern electronic controls would prevent the drivers from breaking engines or gearboxes. That said, I have had the exact same thought about Verstappen and reliability. 

10 place grid penalty for Sainz.

15 place grid penalty for Verstappen.

20 places for Ricciardo.

35 places for Alonso.

I'm with Ross Brawn on this one... they have to stop doing this and dock the manufacturers points instead.

Edited by camelspyyder

although I do admit it would be funny if they extended the starting grid all the way back down the track to 100 places and had them start a few corners behind everyone else.

Might help with avoiding "moments" at the first few corners from people used to being further up making desperate attempts to get past