VRS 4X4 Haldex/ transmission noise?!

The car I bought was supposedly a 'Management car' from Skoda UK and that hasn't turned out so well!! They are saying that there are currently no 4x4 VRS estates available from Skoda UK, whether that be ex management cars or otherwise. 

They have also made no suggestions or offers of recompense of any kind yet. They have told me that the maximum compensation they could offer is to the value of £200!!

'They' are going to have to rethink though are they not.

?

Who are you dealing with, a Senior Communications Manager or someone lower down that 'Management Pyramid'?

A Solicitors letter if required might have them reconsider if you need to get to that, 

but likely someone at Skoda UK will be having a little read of this thread and be aware that Owners & potential Owners know yet again Skoda Customer Services and after sales is crap.

?

So who was the 'Driver / Keeper' previously of what Skoda UK call a 'Management Car', was it a Demonstrator or something else 

& the only Manager driving it was a 'Sales Person'?

• Like 1

Yes - completely agree!! Not sure if I mentioned previously or not BUT I am aware that the car has had the bonnet re-painted and on the day I collected the car the steering wheel was out of alignment by a good 15% so that suggested to me that the car may have had some kind of front end impact?!

With the car being a 'Skoda Management' vehicle you would think they could track down whoever drove that car and find out exactly what happened to it....... I've put this to both the supplying dealer and Skoda UK but the response I've got from both is "sorry sir, we can't disclose that information because of confidentiality".

Regarding who i've been dealing with - it's the sales manager at the supplying dealer, the master technician at the dealer and someone at Skoda UK customer services.

I have also asked if they would buy the vehicle back from me and they've said they could but it would be at current market value, so basically that means I would no doubt lose 5k, even though they have done as many miles in the car as I have due to all the road testing!!

They can have so many previous drivers, some are even Media Cars out on loan as Long Term Testers, maybe used by Motoring Journalists maybe a photographer.

Anyway Skoda UK know the correct thing to do because they know exactly who was 'Keeping' the car from First Registration, or should do.

Best of luck.

Update from the dealer - Today they have transferred the diff and drive shafts from the Scout to my car but it still hasn't made any difference.

I've said enough is enough and requested a replacement car but unfortunately there are currently no Octavia VRS 4x4 estates available.

Plenty of hatchbacks available but I want/ need an estate.......

Gutted isn't the word.....

So for now, I own a car which can't be driven (as it's in bits) and im

stuck in a ****ty courtesy car hanging around for a replacement car to turn up!!

Time for Skoda UK to step in, collect the vehicle and have it transported to their facilities, have their Engineers & Technical people look at diagnose and repair / replace.

Motor Sport Heritage & Success and all that jazz, VW was biggest manufacturer in the world for a few months, 

Rally Success and all that publicity, rebuild a Rally car in just a Service Time between stages.  Obviously road cars are more of an issue.

• Like 1

Car still at dealer. They haven't been able to sort it and to make things worse the Master Tech who has been working on my car has gone to Portugal for the Kodiaq launch. That means it's just sat there unable to be driven and no more work will be done to it until Wednesday when he's back!

The dealer is still trying to source a replacement for me. So far all that's available is a Rallye Green 4x4 VRS estate.

I'm not sure about the colour.........?

11 hours ago, thomas5265 said:

Car still at dealer. They haven't been able to sort it and to make things worse the Master Tech who has been working on my car has gone to Portugal for the Kodiaq launch. That means it's just sat there unable to be driven and no more work will be done to it until Wednesday when he's back!

The dealer is still trying to source a replacement for me. So far all that's available is a Rallye Green 4x4 VRS estate.

I'm not sure about the colour.........?

Personally I would leave it with the dealer until they source you another car!

I personally like the Rallye Green, I would definitely take it and move on leave them with the junk one!

It's sounds like you've just been unlucky, thankfully i've not heard any other horror stories about the 4x4 VRS, I love mine!!!

• Like 1

Been in to see the dealer face to face today. They have located me a replacement estate 'like for like' in meteor grey but with no extras.

They've requested it to be brought up from Skoda UK for me to have a look at.

That will take around 5 days, so they've got another week effectively to try and fix mine and then if they are still getting nowhere I'll be in a new car!

Not 100% sure about the meteor grey colour, however it's livable with and if it's mechanically sound then that's the most important thing!!

rsz_20170130_222539.jpg

It came with the 19" Extremes as above.

The wheels in the previous picture are my 18" winter wheels, I actually haven't a clue what make they are, they were a lucky eBay find.

They had just been fully refurbished and came complete with nearly new Vredestein winter tyres for less than the new price of the tyres alone!

• Like 2

So BIG update -got a call yesterday to ask me to go down to the dealer

for a test drive with the technician.

He took me out in another VRS 4x4 (hatchback) and an estate Scout 4x4

And, guess what! They also both make the same diff noise that mine does. It's under acceleration and happens anywhere between 65-90mph (different on each car).

He's spent upwards of 50 hours working on my car, including being driven around at speed whilst laying in the boot of my car.

So, the conclusion (and he can't believe it himself) is that's it's 'normal'. He said he can't believe he's never had more people complaining about it!

So looks like it's a case of living with it!

What was worth noting though, is when running 19inch alloys it's less noticeable because you have to go much faster (85mph plus) in order to get the noise! 

Looks like I'll be buying some Xtreme alloys!! 

As I said previously mine is the quietest of three VRS,s in 4 years 

You could try playing with tyre pressures 

I run 35 front 40 rear as I carry a lot of tools etc 

i also have a boot mat from super ŠKODA which may help 

8 hours ago, thomas5265 said:

So BIG update -got a call yesterday to ask me to go down to the dealer

for a test drive with the technician.

He took me out in another VRS 4x4 (hatchback) and an estate Scout 4x4

And, guess what! They also both make the same diff noise that mine does. It's under acceleration and happens anywhere between 65-90mph (different on each car).

He's spent upwards of 50 hours working on my car, including being driven around at speed whilst laying in the boot of my car.

So, the conclusion (and he can't believe it himself) is that's it's 'normal'. He said he can't believe he's never had more people complaining about it!

So looks like it's a case of living with it!

What was worth noting though, is when running 19inch alloys it's less noticeable because you have to go much faster (85mph plus) in order to get the noise! 

Looks like I'll be buying some Xtreme alloys!! 

Not looking forwards to having this noise in mine when it's delivered, is it a liveable noise? 

On 30/01/2017 at 19:30, pist0nbr0ke said:

20161119_141101.jpg

A meteor grey 4x4 estate, not quite yesterday. If it helps...

If you do get chance to find the make and model of these wheels I would be grateful, think they look awesome! 

My 66 vrs 4x4 makes no more transmission noise than my 65 vrs petrol with dsg, or even my mk1 octavia 4x4 turbo and I've driven and had many 4x4 versioned cars over the years. So I wouldn't worry too much about your car when it arrives with regards to transmission noise as I've never noticed anything untoward on mine.

• Like 1

So today I got it back!! All things crossed it seems to be sorted! I've demanded an extra years warranty and 2 services as goodwill. They have already said that the warranty is a 'no go' as Skoda won't sell extended warranty products via dealers..............

11 hours ago, thomas5265 said:

So today I got it back!! All things crossed it seems to be sorted! I've demanded an extra years warranty and 2 services as goodwill. They have already said that the warranty is a 'no go' as Skoda won't sell extended warranty products via dealers..............

I have followed this thread with interest as having just bought a VRS Estate 4x4 DSG. 

So what exactly has been sorted to satisfy you that the problem has a) been fixed or b) Normal car noise? Reading the thread it appears the dealer has invested a lot of time / expense to ultimately determine the car is fine and the noise is normal.  

'They' might say no Warranty via a dealer, if They are a Skoda UK Customers Services Communication Manager, 

but 'THey' the company do give as a deal a '2 Year Warranty Extension', and they do it regularly and recently to 'Those' that had a Failing Engine replaced and the likes.

So Not a 'Warranty Repair' that lasts the life of the 'Manufacturers Warranty',  they can call it a 'Gesture' or anything 'They' like, 

but push for an Extension of the Warranty, 

after all costs them little, VW own the Company and underwrite the Warranty, and there should be no need to claim anyway.

21 minutes ago, Mattieuk said:

I have followed this thread with interest as having just bought a VRS Estate 4x4 DSG. 

So what exactly has been sorted to satisfy you that the problem has a) been fixed or b) Normal car noise? Reading the thread it appears the dealer has invested a lot of time / expense to ultimately determine the car is fine and the noise is normal.  

Errr, well the car had a faulty diff which was replaced.