New Vrs or Used Golf R

Yep its true, there is more to car than looks - The R is inevitably an overall better driving package is without question.

The materials I'm sure are reserved by the master race (sorry! I mean brand) but what evidence is of them being screwed together to be fitted, finished any better?

Better materials in some places I have no doubt

Does anyone have any definitive evidence of them being fitted and finished better by the Germans though other than by the successful perceptual branding in people's heads ?

I think the Czecks work hard in some of the best modern factories to produce great cars, personally, would be even better if they were afforded some better materials and parts by the group like interiors etc....

• Like 2

Just to throw in about excitement the random idea, hows this for excitement and build quality !

10k more than a new Octy though ( not so fond on soft tops either personally).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Jaguar-F-TYPE-V6-Petrol-red-Automatic-/222348517534?hash=item33c501209e:g:hQ8AAOSwa~BYVL95

Yep its true, there is more to car than looks - The R is inevitably an overall better driving package is without question.

The materials I'm sure are reserved by the master race (sorry! I mean brand) but what evidence is of them being screwed together to be fitted, finished any better?

Does anyone have any definitive evidence of them being fitted and finished better by the Germans though other than by the successful perceptual branding in people's heads ?

I think the Czecks work hard in some of the best modern factories to produce great cars, personally, would be even better if they were afforded some better materials and parts by the group like interiors etc....

I like the master race comment.........

As for build quality, I'm certain that Skoda's workers & robots are as good as any other in VAG, but materials can feel cheaper. Octy 3 door cards feel cheaper than the Octy 2, especially

the FL models.

I'm very happy with the interior fit / finish of my Superb 2, decent quality materials everywhere except the carpets.

If SEAT & Skoda are to sell their cars at a lower price-point to VW or Audi, then there has to be some cost-cutting somewhere.

Labour rates / wages might be cheaper in Czechia & Spain, but since most of the oily bits are standard VAG components, something else has to be cheaper. 

DC

But then it would be inevitable by adding better quality interiors etc the budget branded skoda would no longer be in that category, therefore the car would be more costly, which sort of goes against why people buy them in the first place.

The owner that is a petrolhead will buy the Golf R and won't think otherwise.

The owner that is more frugal with money would take the skoda....typically.

Fair shout. The R is a really nice car. Assuming its a 64 plate, 30k miles @19k.....i'd put that somewhere between trade and resale money so not a bad deal.

If it has lots of extra spec then you have probably done well there. I wouldnt however anticipate that its residuals ongoing will be fabulous, being rather a victim of their own success whereas 18/24 months ago they were quite rare/desirable there are alot of them on the road now and that will affect its residuals.

But then it would be inevitable by adding better quality interiors etc the budget branded skoda would no longer be in that category, therefore the car would be more costly, which sort of goes against why people buy them in the first place.

The owner that is a petrolhead will buy the Golf R and won't think otherwise.

The owner that is more frugal with money would take the skoda....typically.

Agree re. "owners".

I'm thinking that Skoda is no longer regarding itself as the VAG budget brand, rather it's trying to build on the "Simply Clever" concept instead.

Also "electrification" might well be their next "big thing", 1st a hybrid Superb & then a pure electric perhaps.

DC

Agree re. "owners".

I'm thinking that Skoda is no longer regarding itself as the VAG budget brand, rather it's trying to build on the "Simply Clever" concept instead.

Also "electrification" might well be their next "big thing", 1st a hybrid Superb & then a pure electric perhaps.

DC

Sure they play on the simply clever buzz words but unless I count the parking ticket clip on the windscreen there is nothing In the car that suggests a higher level of design or ergonomics. Its basic transport. Hence the petrolhead would take the Golf r and forsake logical reasoning like 'boot space' for a more powerful car and albeit subjective, better handling.

Skoda need to concentrate on their remit within the VAG. Keep offering basic transport at affordable prices.

I went from a MK2 Octy to a Golf GTi pp as I did not want the space of the MK3.  Kept the PP for 2 years and bought an R - the best car I have ever driven, power, safe, grip, well built (so much better than the pp).

You will never regret the R unless you need more boot space, but it does me, the interior space is good and very comfortable.

Would recommend the DSG with DCC and Teck pack (Large screen and Better Audio).

• Like 3

Mate has a R and other mate has S3 both great cars Audi better finished off but both have had issues with dsg and launch control R is 64 plate and S3 a 16 plate.

I went from a MK2 Octy to a Golf GTi pp as I did not want the space of the MK3.  Kept the PP for 2 years and bought an R - the best car I have ever driven, power, safe, grip, well built (so much better than the pp).

You will never regret the R unless you need more boot space, but it does me, the interior space is good and very comfortable.

The R estate solves the boot space problem, it;s nearly as big as our old Octy 2 vRS & it still handles nicely + it's not a "hot hatch"!

DC

• Like 1

Sure they play on the simply clever buzz words but unless I count the parking ticket clip on the windscreen there is nothing In the car that suggests a higher level of design or ergonomics. Its basic transport. Hence the petrolhead would take the Golf r and forsake logical reasoning like 'boot space' for a more powerful car and albeit subjective, better handling.

Skoda need to concentrate on their remit within the VAG. Keep offering basic transport at affordable prices.

Offering "basic transport" only isn't where Skoda want to be in the market place, VW have already indicated that they are considering creating a new basic brand to compete with Dacia, etc.

The current Octavia, Superb & the forthcoming Kodiaq, aren't budget vehicles & are likely to be more profitable for VAG than Fabias & Rapids.

Traditional Skoda buyers, wanting cheap cars, are no longer welcomed or catered for by "New Skoda"

• Like 1

I think the truth of it is in OctavianEstate's post above. I'd wish it was not so but it definitely is.

Based on current spec I would not be buying any new Octavia but have been gratful to get one used far cheaper through the high depreciation.

That's where I think many future 2nd hand purchases of Octavia's will come.

Actually I think an L&K would be wiser money in regard to resisting depreciation but everyone goes for the vRS as the "supposed" top of range, when it really isn't only on engine spec). My fathers L&K is way more lush than my vRS.

Also for my own ownership Its a huge pity their middle offering ( "Rapid" ) certainly isn't Rapid and they don't offer a better midrange model as I'd definitely be more keen to have something that size but with more of a VRS spec.

I appreciate also for the OP his decision was "Golf R vs vRS" but in price/spec the more simlar comparison would really be GTI vs vRS. Though the 2nd hand prices of GTI's seem to be strangely not that far off the R's, what is that about ?

The r had a massive lease opportunity which has made them considerably more appealing than leasing a gti. Supply and demand. There are a lot more r's on the road for a given registration year (this based purely on my observations locally- r's are ten a penny compared to gtis).

Leases get back into the used market. Fewer available to buy will drive pries up. More available to buy and prices will drop. This has really pulled the price difference close together now.

I think the truth of it is in OctavianEstate's post above. I'd wish it was not so but it definitely is.

Based on current spec I would not be buying any new Octavia but have been gratful to get one used far cheaper through the high depreciation.

That's where I think many future 2nd hand purchases of Octavia's will come.

Actually I think an L&K would be wiser money in regard to resisting depreciation but everyone goes for the vRS as the "supposed" top of range, when it really isn't only on engine spec). My fathers L&K is way more lush than my vRS.

Also for my own ownership Its a huge pity their middle offering ( "Rapid" ) certainly isn't Rapid and they don't offer a better midrange model as I'd definitely be more keen to have something that size but with more of a VRS spec.

I appreciate also for the OP his decision was "Golf R vs vRS" but in price/spec the more simlar comparison would really be GTI vs vRS. Though the 2nd hand prices of GTI's seem to be strangely not that far off the R's, what is that about ?

Agreed. I think to much is read into the badge of this brand. Keep it simple and keep it honest.

It will always be the brand that receives hand me downs from those higher up the VAG brand line or receives the older tech as Audi and VW develop newer equipment. Skoda don't even get the more powerful engine models.

Sure the Superb and Kodiaq will push the quality image up but there is still the glass ceiling In the way. The passat and the A4/6 are still the aspirational carrots on a stick for those chasing the company car way of life. The Octavia and superb barely feature In the white collar society.

I would have chosen the Golf r. A lot more desirable.

That's where I think many future 2nd hand purchases of Octavia's will come....

However you do need 1st time purchasers to provide the 2nd hand purchases. I understand the reluctance to pay full whack and many don't, my first VRS was a Skoda UK 9 month old and at a very good price. Most of the people on this site originally bought a Skoda as hey were good value cars for the price. They are now considerably more expensive, common and looking at the Superb III and Octy III forums, suffering from build quality issues caused by thinner/lighter materials. As for the Golf R, whilst it is obviously a very good car, I think it takes the 'sleeper' image too literally.

• Like 1

Hi decission made its the Golf R. Have really enjoyed the Vrs and would recommend but warn about resale values. So will try sell privately or hand back Cheers

Got the new motor yet?

However you do need 1st time purchasers to provide the 2nd hand purchases. I understand the reluctance to pay full whack and many don't, my first VRS was a Skoda UK 9 month old and at a very good price. Most of the people on this site originally bought a Skoda as hey were good value cars for the price. They are now considerably more expensive, common and looking at the Superb III and Octy III forums, suffering from build quality issues caused by thinner/lighter materials. As for the Golf R, whilst it is obviously a very good car, I think it takes the 'sleeper' image too literally.

Quality-wise, the Octy 2 FL & the Superb 2 don't feel cheap, just good value for money as does the Golf 7, &, FWIW we really do like the R's "sleeper" image, combined with it's ability to behave badly as & when required.....

Of course, the fact that we are both in our 60's might influence our thinking....

DC

Hi

The R i am getting has DSG (main reason for new car) DCC and the teck pack 

Do like the look of new VRS  model but need a change

Have realy enjoy the VRS great car but its still the badge snods  do really  p***s me off 

Edited by Beast

I went from a MKII VRS TDi to a Golf R estate in Oct last year. Absolutely flippin LOVE the car (and great to be back in a petrol again). 4WD means never having to worry about traction! Feels like the perfect car to me - has the same split personality that I loved in my MkI VRS.

Although I didn't post much on Briskoda, I did spend a lot of time reading posts (and even pop back occasionally to see what's going on). VWROC.com is a friendly forum. My first post (with more first impressions) here http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/16404-golf-r-estate-newbie/

DSG is really smooth and makes the car so easy to drive (do still miss the interaction of a manual sometimes, but compensated for by the smoothness at *all* times). Still can't get over the refinement when pootling along... and the performance/handling/grip when you put your foot down - the car really feels like two completely different animals. I don't want another car... ever!!

Hope you enjoy yours as much!

• Like 1

I went from a MKII VRS TDi to a Golf R estate in Oct last year. Absolutely flippin LOVE the car (and great to be back in a petrol again). 4WD means never having to worry about traction! Feels like the perfect car to me - has the same split personality that I loved in my MkI VRS.

Although I didn't post much on Briskoda, I did spend a lot of time reading posts (and even pop back occasionally to see what's going on). VWROC.com is a friendly forum. My first post (with more first impressions) here http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/16404-golf-r-estate-newbie/

DSG is really smooth and makes the car so easy to drive (do still miss the interaction of a manual sometimes, but compensated for by the smoothness at *all* times). Still can't get over the refinement when pootling along... and the performance/handling/grip when you put your foot down - the car really feels like two completely different animals. I don't want another car... ever!!

Hope you enjoy yours as much!

+1. Apart from SWMBO's vRS being a DSG petrol it's how we feel about our Golf Wagon. The boot isn't quite as big as the old Octy hatchback & it does burn more fuel, but it's a great car.

If we do need more space, the Superb is going to be with us for while,until I get bored with it!

DC

Had a 12 plate Golf R with a stage 1 remap; awesome car. I was gonna keep it forever, or trade in for the Mk7 as I absolutely loved the car, so much fun and bloody quick to boot. But changed jobs and needed a newer car with better economy, so got the 4x4 VRS, had to have AWD, can't do with front wheel drive any more in the wet with the wheels scrabbling and spinning when needing to pull away quickly. Miss the power of the golf, no doubt about that, but love the fuel economy of the VRS and with the DTUK tuning box a bit more power, so not all bad.

However, I am pining for the Golf R and seriously considering getting one. Done 25500 miles in the VRS in 10 months, had one problem, fuel gauge failed to reset after a refuel, sorted easily by the garage, no other issues at all. If I got the R, my fuel cost would increase by £1500 a year, plus the loss I would make on the VRS as depreciation is horrendous, so I would be well out of pocket.

Decisions, decisions!!! Money, money!!!! Bloody cars lol.