It's coming

Paul007

4 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Dammit! You go on holiday for 7 weeks to avoid the winter - and the bloody thing rocks up the day after you get home. Humbug!

Normally one can rely that March 1st that Spring is here but with climate change now it is less predicable.

Mid February I always remember as the sting in the tail for Winter, the winds stat to bring more moisture and then hit the cold winter air mass so we tend to get more slow in Feb than November, December or January.  Hope the west of England stays not to bad ie cold and not too much slow on the roads.  Due to stay on Dartmoor on Saturday night ! 

We were talking about this in the car yesterday. Late Feb / March seems to be the time now for a late heavy dump of snow.

But today (and I know it could get worse any minute) but the headlines and pictures are farcical.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-43202018

" In Rochester, temperatures are -1C, colder than Reykjavik in Iceland. "

-1C. I know I'm from a long way North but that's not what we would ever call very cold unless there was a strong wind chill. -5C and lower is cold.

And the pictures, come on! there is hardly half an inch of snow there, barely enough to sledge.

I know we all say "eee in my day we'd go to school in feet of snow". But we actually did. I can only remember my school being shut in winter once when the A90 was blocked and the school was full of stranded drivers. We had about 4' of snow then. In 2010 when it was -17C and below -9C for about 6 weeks not much shut.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

They feed them Bridies. 

1991 was it?   Road closed, HGV's stuck, many off work due to the weather,

and yet people went to work in Dundee etc using the back roads.

Lambing Snows February / March are common for the North East of Scotland and Grampian / Cairngorm area.

As to the cold temps in the south, 

they had to resort to saying ' Wind Chill will have it feel like as low as Minus 15*oC.   Not the Low Temps then, cold and wind.

There have been 5 weeks of Cold Weather Payment Triggers for PH20 & DD8 since November, 

2 for PH1

will there be many areas in the south having any other than 1 for this week if they do have one?

http://coldweatherpayments.dwp.gov.uk 

http://gov.uk/cold-weather-payment 

End of March 2013. Blizzards. Or 'Blizzard like conditions!'

Edited by AwaoffSki

I got stuck in glasgow for an extra 2 days in 2010 (pre briskoda!!) when a sudden dump of snow at 815am rysh hour shut the whole of the M8 glasgow - Edinburgh road. 

Had to change our flights twice, made to get a colleague to cover night shifts for me. My boss was not impressed :D

Just looking at skynews right now, and the kittens doing on scene stuff (from during the day being repeated) standing on the hard shoulder of an open dual carriageway in a dark jacket and snow falling .. what a pillock, who the f gave it nod to set up and do that piece to camera???

13 hours ago, mac11irl said:

I got stuck in glasgow for an extra 2 days in 2010 (pre briskoda!!) when a sudden dump of snow at 815am rysh hour shut the whole of the M8 glasgow - Edinburgh road. 

Had to change our flights twice, made to get a colleague to cover night shifts for me. My boss was not impressed :D

I got stuck in Glasgow about the same time, because the aeroplane (and crew) for my flight were snow-bound in Belfast!

• Haha 1

so -6C this morning & 1 inch of snow......

PANIC!!!!!.........

I lived in USA & we didn't bother measuring in inches...just feet...that's when you panic...1ft of snow in 1hr...

not this pathetic stuff...

& huge accidents & car crashes & people killed.....FFS fit winter tyres for crying out loud...its not as if they are a new fangled item...:wall:

Avoiding walking in Yellow Snow is a given. 

Walking in Red Snow is just going to pure creep me out. 

Good practice for anyone intending going to Mars though. 

Screenshot_20180228-112649.jpg

3 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

so -6C this morning & 1 inch of snow......

PANIC!!!!!.........

I lived in USA & we didn't bother measuring in inches...just feet...that's when you panic...1ft of snow in 1hr...

not this pathetic stuff...

America, where they can deal with anything, except gun control. 

4 minutes ago, Fin69 said:

Avoiding walking in Yellow Snow is a given. 

Walking in Red Snow is just going to pure creep me out. 

Good practice for anyone intending going to Mars though. 

There are topics on this on UKC forum as people pee near or on the paths a lot in winter...& the red can a female climber having her period...or a male climber having energy drinks with loads of red colouring in them, or medication...

But yes the Met Office stupidity of "yellow snow warning" etc just gets me....

• Haha 1

Transport Scotland needs to get the Traffic Scotland website working all the time every time they have Weather Warnings.

Yellow, Orange and now Red and no wonder people ignore when they are just so random on what is happening where with weather, roads and travel.

There are problems, there are roads and routes closed, but it is the Trunk Roads that interest them most.

& then the Scottish Government never bother that Radio Reception is not available where some of the highest roads are, 

and Broadband reception can just not there.

http://trafficscotland.org/currentincidents 

http://trafficscotland.org 

Was in Edinburgh this morning when the red warning came out.

TBH Edinburgh was basically on shutdown anyway, they had half an inch of snow last night and half the city cried off work. As bad as London these days.

Spoke to some locals who thought I was an alien to not be bothered by this.

Red warning came out and we left the conference at lunchtime. Glad we did.

TBH visibility was bad but the roads were fine at that time. The problem as usual were the other drivers. Bloody hell some people do stupid things in the snow.

Worst and probably most dangerous was the idiot in his Peugeot on the M90 just south of Kinross. Don't know if he'd had a problem or just panicked but he's just stopped in the middle of the carriageway and stuck his hazards on, didn't bother to get to the hard shoulder. He had no lights on either and his flashers were not very visible. Luckily the snow had cleared so we could see him.

Practically everyone was tailgating. Not just too close but like 6' off the car in front. Plenty of arctics doing 60 in the inside lane on hard snow, plenty of execs in A8s thinking they're Ari Vatanen.

I found a meme on line and it was pretty close to my thoughts "If you can't drive in the snow, get the F out the way for those of us that can".

• Like 1

My new favourite sport is watching people trying to turn the corner into my street. It's relatively flat, but it's a double 'T', and is  relatively busy as it leads  onto the only primary school and pineapple of a particular faith. 

Most have given up and *ahem* parked (read abandoned) outside my property in dangerous locations. 

There is going to be an entire generation of children growing up who think snow smells of burning clutch. 

Even though my Octy Scout has  its cold weather tyres on  the fact the snow on my drive was coming in over the top of my wellies, means she'll stay safely tucked up under the carport. 

20180228_152202.jpg

Edited by Guest
Image would not load

6 hours ago, Fin69 said:

Even though my Octy Scout has  its cold weather tyres on  the fact the snow on my drive was coming in over the top of my wellies, means she'll stay safely tucked up under the carport. 

Chicken....might as well have a 2wd SUV & summers on then...lol...

So that's another load of cars & HGVs stuck on the M80....Glasgow-Stirling...all because of HGVs jack knifing & getting stuck ..etc....

Not long after the same incident on the M74....with people stuck overnight etc..

Why since the etch in cars has got better & more people sell & know about winter tryes (correct tyre) we actually have more cases of people stuck & then the councils just give up & close the roads at the drop of a hat...

years ago I remember traveling down those roads (A9) etc down to Manchester in a blizzard & 4 inches of fresh snow....roads still open. no gritters etc...mind you I was taking it easy behind a convoy of army trucks for part of the journey...

Norway etc must be laughing their heads off at us....ohh look pathetic English...small snow fall & they all stop....that is not snow....

Winter happens every year..just some are mild , some are not...just people & bean counters plan for the cheapest option (mild winter) which is short term & cost loads of money in the long term....when a bad winter hits them...idiots...

11 hours ago, Aspman said:

Was in Edinburgh this morning when the red warning came out.

TBH Edinburgh was basically on shutdown anyway, they had half an inch of snow last night and half the city cried off work. As bad as London these days.

Spoke to some locals who thought I was an alien to not be bothered by this.

Red warning came out and we left the conference at lunchtime. Glad we did.

TBH visibility was bad but the roads were fine at that time. The problem as usual were the other drivers. Bloody hell some people do stupid things in the snow.

Worst and probably most dangerous was the idiot in his Peugeot on the M90 just south of Kinross. Don't know if he'd had a problem or just panicked but he's just stopped in the middle of the carriageway and stuck his hazards on, didn't bother to get to the hard shoulder. He had no lights on either and his flashers were not very visible. Luckily the snow had cleared so we could see him.

Practically everyone was tailgating. Not just too close but like 6' off the car in front. Plenty of arctics doing 60 in the inside lane on hard snow, plenty of execs in A8s thinking they're Ari Vatanen.

I found a meme on line and it was pretty close to my thoughts "If you can't drive in the snow, get the F out the way for those of us that can".

I had a medical appointment yesterday, fair play to the NHS they called me in early to avoid the red alert. Sadly although the Octy had no issues in the snow, the amount of muppets out there was unreal. Including an Octavia Taxi which was being revved flat out to try to get up a tiny incline. I waited behind him for a while and then just pulled out and overtook him. Some people really have not the first clue. 

Another light dusting overnight

01-03-201826domhnall dods.jpg

• Like 2

First image is of the M8 Glasgow at  Kingston Bridge at approximately 1000 this morning. 

The second image is how it would normally look at that time. 

Screenshot_20180301-130858.jpg

Screenshot_20180301-131131.jpg

Much of the Met-office website has gone down.

Highway agency is still working but slow.  Lots of good info on here, will delay my journey to Dartmoor until it gets better. 

5 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

It can be hell out there if you must travel.

& just lovely if you do not have to.

DSCN3891.JPG

+1. But you also have the right tools for the job I see. Great bike.

Currently sat in the southwest waiting to see what the red warning has in store for us. And my car is going nowhere in the next 24 hours (2WD, summer tyres and lack of talent being the main reasons).

5 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Well I had a snow day today, roads around my bit are thick with snow, not much traffic in my street at all, Lothian buses suspended all their services apart from Airlink and the trams. 

Looking at the sky there is more to come overnight, we have to call into a incident number to see if work is open but I reckon the buses will not be running again till at least mid morning or lunchtime.

For me work is a 3 mile walk each way which in these conditions will prob take me a good hour and a half!

Davy