My promised 1.4TSi one month in review

Should have got an estate...four curry hooks provided in the boot. :)

Hopefully it will be a few more years before I am looking for a replacement but it is gonna have to be good to meet all the criteria that this one does so well for the price.

Should have got an estate...four curry hooks provided in the boot. :)

Hopefully it will be a few more years before I am looking for a replacement but it is gonna have to be good to meet all the criteria that this one does so well for the price.

I do like the estate version, and had the deal been for an estate I would have snapped it up. This was a golden deal find, the dealer didn't even know they had the car  :D

I had to double check I wasn't imagining it. A 16 plate with 780 miles on it, dealer advert car, list price 21.8K selling for 15K Win win as they say.

I've got 4 Curry hooks in my hatch! Not bragging, or anything.. :D

Glad you're enjoying the 1.4.  My Dad has one (140) and he really likes his. 

Edited by Isocrem

I do like the estate version, and had the deal been for an estate I would have snapped it up. This was a golden deal find, the dealer didn't even know they had the car  :D

I had to double check I wasn't imagining it. A 16 plate with 780 miles on it, dealer advert car, list price 21.8K selling for 15K Win win as they say.

Sounds a Bargain. Did they give you a reason why it was reduced by so much? Was it damaged or something prior to selling?

Edited by Isocrem

Sounds a Bargain. Did they give you a reason why it was reduced by so much? Was it damaged or something prior to selling?

It's my regular dealer and they do great deals on ex demo or advertisement cars. The car needed a good detail in places were the advertising logos had been. Other than that car is minted.

Edited by MoggyTech
  • Like 1

I'm a little underwhelmed by my 1.4 SE Sport.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car, it's beautiful, refined and always makes me smile but something isn't right.

When I push the go button it's like it's a drive by cable accelerator and the cable is an elastic band. Push and it's not as responsive, even in sports mode.

Hopefully I need to push it harder to get the beans out of it..

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I love the car, it's beautiful, refined and always makes me smile but something isn't right.

When I push the go button it's like it's a drive by cable accelerator and the cable is an elastic band. Push and it's not as responsive, even in sports mode.

Feel a bit the same myself - another 1.4 SE Sport 

Could be because we are both coming from old style PD Diesels where you could floor the accelerator with plenty torque on demand from low revs.

On the plus side:

No DPF

No SCR

No LNT

Edited by Octy0GG
  • Like 1

Is your curry hook like this Moggy, if so you can fit one on the other side. If you press quite hard on the other side you can feel the screw holes in/under the felt like carpet.

http://www.theskodashop.co.uk/product/Boot_Hook_-_Octavia_3_5E0065191

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

Feel a bit the same myself - another 1.4 SE Sport 

Could be because we are both coming from old style PD Diesels where you could floor the accelerator with plenty torque on demand from low revs.

Yup - my PD130 had far more torque and certainly felt a LOT faster than my 1.4 but that is certainly expected.

I'm sure it'll loosen up soon or at least I'll get used to driving it, but at the moment, putting my foot down is like lighting a fuse, wait wait wait wait, bang, even in lower/suitable gears.

Is your curry hook like this Moggy, if so you can fit one on the other side. If you press quite hard on the other side you can feel the screw holes in the felt like carpet.

My vRs also has one each side in the boot. They are very handy!

Is yours also an automatic?

Mine is manual, an ordinary 1.4 TSi SE hatch, and is nothing like that in throttle response.

Always assuming you are in the right gear, when I hit the throttle it throws me into the back seat!

Is yours also an automatic?

Mine is manual, an ordinary 1.4 TSi SE hatch, and is nothing like that in throttle response.

Always assuming you are in the right gear, when I hit the throttle it throws me into the back seat!

Manual here. I know it'll be because I'm used to the low down grunt of a PD - if I get it up in the 3-4k range it moves but seems to take an age.

To be fair - I haven't even red lined it yet and I'm at 800 miles. I'll end up airing it out this weekend.

Manual here. I know it'll be because I'm used to the low down grunt of a PD - if I get it up in the 3-4k range it moves but seems to take an age.

To be fair - I haven't even red lined it yet and I'm at 800 miles. I'll end up airing it out this weekend.

Red lining is what it doesn't want! All the grunt seems to be low down, say 2500 to 4000. There seems to be no point in revving higher, it is almost a bit diesel-ish!

If there seems to be a lag in power, even in low gears on level roads, I'd suggest it needs looking at, because mine just leaps off the line.

Admittedly I have the throttle (only the throttle) in sport mode which possibly makes it respond more sharply without flooring it.

Is your curry hook like this Moggy, if so you can fit one on the other side. If you press quite hard on the other side you can feel the screw holes in/under the felt like carpet.

Yup, just like the one I got from the scrappy an hour ago.  :D

I felt the same when I went from a Fabia Mk1 VRS Limited Edition to the 2.0 CR Octavia VRS, the Octavia felt slower but not by much. The reason I find the 1.4 TSi so quick, is mostly due to the 7 speed DSG I think. The DSG will always shift at the torque limit if you keep the loud pedal to the floor.

The problem with the 1.9 PD was all the torque came in one huge lump, unless you got a decent remap.

Thanks for that report, it looks like the 1.4 will be my next car, be a couple of years still. Till then I will get by with the 1.2 which fitted my needs when I bought it.

Mr Roberts you have definitely got a problem with your new car that needs to be addressed by the dealer as soon as possible.

It is characterised by your fuel consumption and your description of performance delivery, it is just wrong.

At the very least have a comparative test drive on their demo to appreciate what you are missing.

Do not take any BS about it needs to be run in because it should deliver out of the box, mine did and so has every other new car I have had.

I had an early model Hyundai Santa Fe V6 which I thought was a 'lemon' but it turned out they were all lemons as Hyundai lied about consumption.

The 1.9pd was a great engine and a wonderful and economical tourer but it was not a fast accelerator. The mk2 1.9pd, the current model 1.6cr and 1.2 tsi are all in the 11 or 12 second to 60 mph category, the mk3 140 hp 1.4tsi is about 8.5 seconds although I think the latest 150 hp versions are claimed to be 8.1 seconds (?).

The 1.4tsi produces it's max 250Nm torque between 1700 and 4000 rpm so if you are seeing nothing until 2500 then you have got issues to be addressed by the manufacturer.

That is probably coming across more aggressive than I intended but I think you deserve the performance and economy you paid for

Mr Roberts you have definitely got a problem with your new car that needs to be addressed by the dealer as soon as possible.

It is characterised by your fuel consumption and your description of performance delivery, it is just wrong.

At the very least have a comparative test drive on their demo to appreciate what you are missing.

Do not take any BS about it needs to be run in because it should deliver out of the box, mine did and so has every other new car I have had.

I had an early model Hyundai Santa Fe V6 which I thought was a 'lemon' but it turned out they were all lemons as Hyundai lied about consumption.

The 1.9pd was a great engine and a wonderful and economical tourer but it was not a fast accelerator. The mk2 1.9pd, the current model 1.6cr and 1.2 tsi are all in the 11 or 12 second to 60 mph category, the mk3 140 hp 1.4tsi is about 8.5 seconds although I think the latest 150 hp versions are claimed to be 8.1 seconds (?).

The 1.4tsi produces it's max 250Nm torque between 1700 and 4000 rpm so if you are seeing nothing until 2500 then you have got issues to be addressed by the manufacturer.

That is probably coming across more aggressive than I intended but I think you deserve the performance and economy you paid for

To be fair it's probably my circumstances that are the result of my experiences.

My overall average speed over 800 miles of ownership is 17mph with a 38mpg. I've mainly used the car for commuting so haven't really had the chance to properly drive it.

My 1.9 was the 130 VRS which had 310 Nm, 229 ft-lb. This compared to the 1.4's 250 Nm, 184 ft-lb will account for a lot.

The test drive thinking back was similar so I'm less inclined to think it's my particular car but more my way of driving it.

I'll soon find out either way as I'll give it a good run this weekend.

A good run on relatively open roads will give you a much better idea of where you are at as it knocks out a lot of variables affecting consumption for a truer indication

My 1.9pd was a mere 103hp/270Nm version so our comparisons to the 1.4tsi would certainly be different.

I have attached a link to the VW guide to economical motoring.

It is an older and slightly less powerful 1.4tsi engine but I have found the figures in the gear/speed/consumption graphs pretty well match what I get.

It might be of assistance to you?

http://en.volkswagen.com/content/medialib/vwd4/de/Volkswagen/Nachhaltigkeit/service/download/spritspartipps/effizient_unterwegsengl/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.file/spritspartipps_par_0008_file.pdf

GRoberts and Octy 0GG , I'm interested in both your comments. I too picked up a 1.4 tsi manual just before Christmas. I like the look of the car( race blue, sports suspension, 18 inch wheels, sunset glass) but... I chopped in a 1.8 tsi petrol with the 7 speed DSG gearbox which, with a dab of the loud pedal would take off like greased **** off an oily shovel. Due to various circumstances I've only done a few hundred miles and I'm going to be sensible and not rag it round the roads or redline it until it's done the suggested 1500 kilometres but I've already noticed that you can't be lazy with the gearbox. It needs to be worked hard which I don't think I was expecting. 5 and 6 gear are practically overdrive and 1,2 and 3 need a lot of stirring to make it even reasonably quick. I'll reserve judgement until its run in but it's interesting that you find the same.

• Like 1

GRoberts and Octy 0GG , I'm interested in both your comments. I too picked up a 1.4 tsi manual just before Christmas. I like the look of the car( race blue, sports suspension, 18 inch wheels, sunset glass) but... I chopped in a 1.8 tsi petrol with the 7 speed DSG gearbox which, with a dab of the loud pedal would take off like greased **** off an oily shovel. Due to various circumstances I've only done a few hundred miles and I'm going to be sensible and not rag it round the roads or redline it until it's done the suggested 1500 kilometres but I've already noticed that you can't be lazy with the gearbox. It needs to be worked hard which I don't think I was expecting. 5 and 6 gear are practically overdrive and 1,2 and 3 need a lot of stirring to make it even reasonably quick. I'll reserve judgement until its run in but it's interesting that you find the same.

As mentioned before, I also came from a Mk. 2 1.8 TSi, though it was a manual Elegance, to the 1.4 TSi manual, only because the 1.8 was no longer available, except I think as L&K.

Possibly because my 1.4 is manual, hence allows me to choose the gear I'm in, after I adapted slightly to which gear I actually choose to be in, I was very surprised at how close the 1.4 is to the

1.8, to some extent only noticing the difference when, as said, in a gear too high or on a stiff climb, when well loaded.

Some time ago I did a 100 mile trip, 4 of us on board,  and boot luggage for 4 for a weekend, and noticed very little difference in performance.

As some of you may recall I traded in the 2014 VRS 2.0 CR for a 1.4 TSi SE DSG about 5 weeks ago, so here's my thoughts 2,000 miles later.

I miss the looks of the VRS front end and that's it, I also preferred the candy white paint, but the deal I got on the 1.4TSi meant silver or pass up a car that had only done 780 miles and save £7000 in the process. I really wanted to get away from diesel, and I really needed DSG to help my left wrist heal up. I play a lot of guitar bass and drums, so not changing gear was one less thing for the wrist to cope with.

Anyway, the car. If there is a performance difference I can't find it, forget sports mode for the moment, even using kick down to pass someone on the motorway is quite simply awesome. For a 1.4 litre engine this thing is more than quick, it's down right fast.

Less road noise, I mean a lot less road noise despite the lack of multilink on the rear end. Economy, 49.9 MPG over 2000 miles compared to 50.4 with the VRS.

Engine note, well going from tractor bag of spanners noise to refined petrol tone is music to my ears.  :D

Niggles, nope not one despite going down a trim level this car has all I need

What could be better? Dipstick arrangement means skinned knuckles if your not careful, and an engine cover would have been nice. Only one curry hook in the boot seems a cost cutting exercise too far, but other than that, happy  :sun:

Massive thanks for this, you tipped me over the edge and I placed an order today