CTEK MXS 5.0 with cigarette socket adapter

Hi

We do too many short journeys in our 2016 1.4 TSI Octavia and are getting battery warnings. I'm considering therefore buying a CTEK MXS 5.0

Does anyone else use this model on their mk3 Octavia via the cigarette socket adapter? I'd be greatly comforted knowing that I won't fry the electrics.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

I don't know if you could actually cause damage to the car battery by charging it via the cars cigarette (accessory) socket and so you also need to be aware that if it has Stop/Start system there are some caveats.

If it does have the S/S system, then read the manual before applying the clamps to the terminals.

Or as it says in the manual:

On vehicles with the START/STOP system, the pole terminal of the charger must

not be connected directly to the negative terminal of the vehicle battery, but only
to the engine earth » page 223, Jump-starting in vehicles with the START-STOP
system.
Edited by TheWanderer

I can't comment on the Octavia, but I use this setup on my VX220 that gets stored for the winter months as the battery is not that easily accessible. It's a great bit of kit that works very well. It's decent value from Amazon as well, though I did find I had to buy the extension lead as the standard cables aren't that long.

• Like 1

I don't know if you could actually cause damage to the car battery by charging it via the cars cigarette (accessory) socket and so you also need to be aware that if it has Stop/Start system there are some caveats.

If it does have the S/S system, then read the manual before applying the clamps to the terminals.

Or as it says in the manual:

On vehicles with the START/STOP system, the pole terminal of the charger must

not be connected directly to the negative terminal of the vehicle battery, but only

to the engine earth » page 223, Jump-starting in vehicles with the START-STOP

system.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had missed it.

My car sometimes stands for a week, and I use a Halfords 'smart' trickle charger that can be left permanently connected.  The car is a 2015 Octavia and has a 12volt socket in the boot.  I connect via a flat profile 5amp cable that runs out through the tailgate and is thin enough to have the rubber seal close on it, so the car is all shut and alarmed while the battery is charging.  I never charge at more than the trickle rate of about 600mA.  This is low enough to not trigger the car alarm when turned on or off.

Hi, I use it for my garaged cabrio, it is connected to this charger continously all year, and I even use it for my boats battery. I can highly recommend it, you will not be disappointed.   

• Like 2

I bought the CTEK MXS 5.0 recently with the 12V adapter, and I've used it twice for my 2014 VRS 2.0TSI - seems to work just fine.

• Like 1

Yes, my car is stop/start.  And it has an AGM battery, so I use this setting on the CTEK.  The CTEK MXS 5.0 is an excellent piece of kit IMHO.  I like the fact that the LEDs show you clearly the various stages in the charging process.

Yes, my car is stop/start.  And it has an AGM battery, so I use this setting on the CTEK.  The CTEK MXS 5.0 is an excellent piece of kit IMHO.  I like the fact that the LEDs show you clearly the various stages in the charging process.

Just to add, I bought my CTEK from www.smarterchargers.co.uk who gave good service and expert advice over the phone - I'd recommend them.

Cheers kens  :thumbup: Do you use the charger outside or in a garage? the reason I ask is because I've been looking to purchase a smartcharger for 2 cars with start stop & noticed the newer model of CTEK mxs 5.0 has a automatic ambient temperature unlike the old model which you had to select manually & as I'll be using it outside to charge, the newer model seems to fit the bill.

Thanks for the link, that's the cheapest I've seen the 5.0, was thinking of buying the Ring rsc612.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Diagnostic-Testing-Measuring-Tools/RSC612-Battery-Charger-Vehicles-Charge-Functions-Diagnostic/B00S8969OG

Does it come with a carry case & leads (not interested in the cigarette adaptor/lead) but power lead & jump connections really drawn more towards the CTEK mxs 5.0 now.

Edited by BATVANVRS

So far, I've used the CTEK on my VRS in the garage and on my other car (Mk4 Golf GTI 1.8T) with the car outside and the charger still indoors ... I'm able to do this using a 12V extension cable (10 metres, 10 amp rated).  The MXS 5.0 comes with a drawstring bag and crocodile clip connectors which just use the standard CTEK "comfort connect" system.  I think the comfort connect options (including optional extra 12V connector) are one of the strong points of the CTEK design.  I bought most of my kit as a bundle (www.smarterchargers.co.uk/12-volt-chargers?product_id=97).

• Like 1

Cheers kens  :thumbup: Do you use the charger outside or in a garage? the reason I ask is because I've been looking to purchase a smartcharger for 2 cars with start stop & noticed the newer model of CTEK mxs 5.0 has a automatic ambient temperature unlike the old model which you had to select manually & as I'll be using it outside to charge, the newer model seems to fit the bill.

Thanks for the link, that's the cheapest I've seen the 5.0, was thinking of buying the Ring rsc612.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Diagnostic-Testing-Measuring-Tools/RSC612-Battery-Charger-Vehicles-Charge-Functions-Diagnostic/B00S8969OG

Does it come with a carry case & leads (not interested in the cigarette adaptor/lead) but power lead & jump connections really drawn more towards the CTEK mxs 5.0 now.

I wonder if this creates a problem.  The charger unit apparently measures the ambient temperature and adjusts the charge accordingly.  However, if the charger is at a different temperature to the battery...well then i guess the battery might receive a voltage/current inappropriate to its state.

I've posed this question to CTEK and will report back.

• Like 1

I wonder if this creates a problem.  The charger unit apparently measures the ambient temperature and adjusts the charge accordingly.  However, if the charger is at a different temperature to the battery...well then i guess the battery might receive a voltage/current inappropriate to its state.

That is a valid point but with all that in mind, I suppose the main thing is, that the charger don't overcharge in that case. I would think the unit would then maybe go into a slower charge rate if that being the case?

But very interested in the response you will get back from CTEK  :thumbup:

Edited by BATVANVRS

The charger won't overcharge, it has a monitor.

I bought mine on the basis that if every showroom model in my local Audi dealer has a comfort indicator sticking out of the bonnet it's a good enough endorsement for me.

Also, I use t on the bike in the winter permanently.

Edited by Mallettsmallett
  • Like 1

Received the CTEK Mxs 5.0 this morning from smartchargers.co.uk. Ordered Saturday using the free post method via the website, sent via interlink/Dpd

http://www.smarterchargers.co.uk/12-volt-chargers?product_id=53

Great service from smartchargers.co.uk £62.95 delivered.

Nice 1 Kens for the heads up :thumbup:

Received the CTEK Mxs 5.0 this morning from smartchargers.co.uk. Ordered Saturday using the free post method via the website, sent via interlink/Dpd

http://www.smarterchargers.co.uk/12-volt-chargers?product_id=53

Great service from smartchargers.co.uk £62.95 delivered.

Nice 1 Kens for the heads up :thumbup:

Glad you're pleased with your purchase!

• Like 1

Reply from CTEK:

Good question!
You should have the battery charger in the same temperature as the battery, as the temperature sensor is inside the charger.

Which I guess means putting the charger outside....

• Like 1