Hello,

2 months and 2500 km now on my new 2016 Octavia Scout, 135KW, DSG. I don`t know about other Scout owners, or other car owners with factory Rough Road Package, but for me the ride seems harsh and bumpy on bad, an on good roads too. The car is in 16 inch winter tires now, a little beyond recommended PSI (2.0 in front and back, vs. 2.3 recommended).

Really don`t know what to do, local Skoda dealer won`t change anything to my suspension, and so far the only aftermarket solution that I found is a KW variant 3 coilover - but this lowers the car between 30-55 mm and I don`t  know if I will end up with an even stiffer ride ?   

Anybody has/was in the same situation, or has an advice ?

It would be very much appreciated.

Istvan

Sorry.....I wanted to say that I have set them, and running them now at 2.0 BAR, under the recommended minimal pressure of 2.3 BAR,  (in trying to make the ride more comfy), but the ride is still bumpy and harsh. One of my mechanic friend suggested to put two 40 kg sandbags in the trunk, because the Scout was designed for big loads…  :(

I have a 2016 Octavia Scout with the bad road suspension and all my tires are on 2.5Bar - the car is comfy and not bumpy or harsh at all. Even on the OEM 7.5x18 with 225/45R18 the car is very smooth.

Maybe as Kenny R mentions the transport blocks still are in?

Thanks, but the transport blocks was the first thing that I have checked, and that`s not the case.

Where I live in Romania, the majority of roads are bad, so that`s a perfect ground to test any suspension. The car just doesn`t feel settled, it`s constantly bumpy and in bigger potholes the back crashes too hard, for me it feels overdamped. Even on occasional highway trips, on bigger speeds, the front is constantly jittering, the suspension feels nervous and the overall feeling in the car is far from supple or comfy.

I am really struggling with this concept of the Rough Road Package (RRP), consisting of hardened coils and dampers…For an Skoda engineer is more important to take care of the car in the long term, and as a result the suspensions components lasts longer? or it should be better to take care about the people inside the car when they encounter `rough roads` and offer them a comfier ride ?

Or maybe it`s just me that I want to use my car as a normal/family car, and not carry around a lot of heavy weight stuff on a daily basis.

Anyway. I am thinking now, of ordering the complete 4 dampers and 4 springs that a regular 4x4 Octavia Estate has (without RRP), and use some spacers to get the approximate height that the Scout has. (the normal Octavia TDI4x4 has an empty weight of  1550 vs 1559kg of the Octavia Scout TDI4x4, so it`s just 9 kilos between them)

Anybody has done this, or have any ideas if this can be done, and besides the dampers, springs and the spacers will I need something else?  Or any idea of some coilovers or something to have a more family friendly orientated drive?

Thanks, but the transport blocks was the first thing that I have checked, and that`s not the case.

Where I live in Romania, the majority of roads are bad, so that`s a perfect ground to test any suspension. The car just doesn`t feel settled, it`s constantly bumpy and in bigger potholes the back crashes too hard, for me it feels overdamped. Even on occasional highway trips, on bigger speeds, the front is constantly jittering, the suspension feels nervous and the overall feeling in the car is far from supple or comfy.

I am really struggling with this concept of the Rough Road Package (RRP), consisting of hardened coils and dampers…For an Skoda engineer is more important to take care of the car in the long term, and as a result the suspensions components lasts longer? or it should be better to take care about the people inside the car when they encounter `rough roads` and offer them a comfier ride ?

Or maybe it`s just me that I want to use my car as a normal/family car, and not carry around a lot of heavy weight stuff on a daily basis.

Anyway. I am thinking now, of ordering the complete 4 dampers and 4 springs that a regular 4x4 Octavia Estate has (without RRP), and use some spacers to get the approximate height that the Scout has. (the normal Octavia TDI4x4 has an empty weight of 1550 vs 1559kg of the Octavia Scout TDI4x4, so it`s just 9 kilos between them)

Anybody has done this, or have any ideas if this can be done, and besides the dampers, springs and the spacers will I need something else? Or any idea of some coilovers or something to have a more family friendly orientated drive?

I thought the extra ride height of the Scout over the 4x4 was achieved using a bigger wheel and tyre combination and the suspension was the same. With the RRP comprising the underbody protection.

Didn't think the RRP was anything to do with suspension, just extra guarding of important parts... brake pipes , sump etc. Got a new Scout and no problems but had a Yeti before and ordered the RRP, no springs etc were involved to my knowledge

That`s very interesting, I agree that everybody has his own relative feel of comfort in a car, and it is different from a person to another. Maybe some countries have better roads, so that adds for the different feel of the car, but if so much of you have a totally different experience, maybe something is wrong with my car…?

Or regarding the RRP, maybe the Scouts have country specific setups ?  And not every country gets the stiffer suspension ? On the UK official Skoda site, I found only this, I quote: And with ŠKODA’s ‘Rough Road Package’ included as standard, the ŠKODA Octavia Scout is equipped with underbody protection for off-road journeys - leaving you to enjoy the adventure whilst the Scout does the rest. No mention of suspensions…On the German official Skoda site, there is no mention all together from any RRP….But in the Hungarian an Romanian official Skoda sites, they are specially mentioned, that the Scouts RRP package contains, the underbody protection and the raised and I quote> REINFORCED suspension… :S 

That`s very interesting, I agree that everybody has his own relative feel of comfort in a car, and it is different from a person to another. Maybe some countries have better roads, so that adds for the different feel of the car, but if so much of you have a totally different experience, maybe something is wrong with my car…?

Or regarding the RRP, maybe the Scouts have country specific setups ? And not every country gets the stiffer suspension ? On the UK official Skoda site, I found only this, I quote: And with ŠKODA’s ‘Rough Road Package’ included as standard, the ŠKODA Octavia Scout is equipped with underbody protection for off-road journeys - leaving you to enjoy the adventure whilst the Scout does the rest. No mention of suspensions…On the German official Skoda site, there is no mention all together from any RRP….But in the Hungarian an Romanian official Skoda sites, they are specially mentioned, that the Scouts RRP package contains, the underbody protection and the raised and I quote> REINFORCED suspension… :S

The scout gets raised suspension, not harder.

The scout gets raised suspension, not harder.

Maybe in UK it doesn`t but in my country it seems like it does.  Anyway not a lot of info about this on the web, but I have found this: http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/hotspotdetail?HotspotName=M6+-+Paket+pro+%C5%A1patn%C3%A9+cesty+%5BFabia%2C+Octavia%2C+Octavia+Tour%2C+Yeti%2C+Superb%5D&Page=technology&WebID=19e2ce5d-c6b0-414b-9be6-113388595538

That doesn't say harder it says bespoke, what that means is increased ground clearance to cope with "light" terrain.

That doesn't say harder it says bespoke, what that means is increased ground clearance to cope with "light" terrain.

English is not my primary language, but according to wikipedia: Bespoke is an adjective for anything commissioned to a particular specification. It may be altered or tailored to the customs, tastes, or usage of an individual purchaser. 

So after my understanding, it doesn`t says that it is harder, but it doesn`t say that it is the same as the regular octavia, and that it is just a tad higher...

I have attached a picture with the hungarian skoda web page, it is a google translate, so it`s not in a perfect english. 

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/5534/x1MlGF.png

Anyway, monday morning I will be at the local dealer, sorting this out, because he too told me that the Scout has a hardened suspension compared to the regular Octavia, this beeing the part of the factory RRP. 

English is not my primary language, but according to wikipedia: Bespoke is an adjective for anything commissioned to a particular specification. It may be altered or tailored to the customs, tastes, or usage of an individual purchaser.

So after my understanding, it doesn`t says that it is harder, but it doesn`t say that it is the same as the regular octavia, and that it is just a tad higher...

I have attached a picture with the hungarian skoda web page, it is a google translate, so it`s not in a perfect english.

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/5534/x1MlGF.png

Anyway, monday morning I will be at the local dealer, sorting this out, because he too told me that the Scout has a hardened suspension compared to the regular Octavia, this beeing the part of the factory RRP.

Well the springs and dampers are physically longer than a standard octavia.

With the mkII the front struts came in either 50mm or 55mm diameter options. The scout and 4x4 had 55mm struts like the vrs but they were longer than both the vrs and narrower standard struts. They were also very difficult to get hold of as all the auto factors I tried didn't stock them, I could only get them from Skoda.

I've had a Scout, a regular Octavia and a VRS - the rough road pack in the U.K. Includes a sump guard, protection to the brake lines and plastic shields around the suspension lower arms at the rear. I think the spring rates on the Scout are higher I.e. Stiffer to offset the body roll that would otherwise occur because of the higher centre of gravity. I also thought the Scout suspension was harder than either of the other two variants I've driven.

I have a 2016 Octavia Scout with the bad road suspension and all my tires are on 2.5Bar - the car is comfy and not bumpy or harsh at all. Even on the OEM 7.5x18 with 225/45R18 the car is very smooth.

Maybe as Kenny R mentions the transport blocks still are in?

What brand of tires do you have on those 18 wheels ? Because I`v got my car with the 17" Nivalis wheels and Pirelli Cinturatto P7 ECO tires, and for me this Pirelli tires feels especially hard, almost like run-flat tires...

What brand of tires do you have on those 18 wheels ? Because I`v got my car with the 17" Nivalis wheels and Pirelli Cinturatto P7 ECO tires, and for me this Pirelli tires feels especially hard, almost like run-flat tires...

My Scout has 17" wheels with pirelli tyres (not sure on the model) and they aren't hard. In fact I would say ride is as comfortable as my old mkII running 15" wheels.

On the 18" summer tires I have Goodyear Efficient Grip.

Also check the option codes on the data sticker under the boot floor.

Skoda do set up cars for different countries.

So maybe a Romanian spec Scout has different suspension to a UK one. I'm not sure you can compare them directly.

If Romania is anything like Czech Republic there are more gravel roads especially in villages, so suspension would be tougher for these.

Also check the option codes on the data sticker under the boot floor.

Skoda do set up cars for different countries.

So maybe a Romanian spec Scout has different suspension to a UK one. I'm not sure you can compare them directly.

If Romania is anything like Czech Republic there are more gravel roads especially in villages, so suspension would be tougher for these.

Interesting, I'd be happy to compare what my car has.

I have the rough road package. No banging with my suspension.

I don't know for sure, but I find it difficult to believe that Skoda would go to the trouble, expense and complexity of having country-specific suspension modules.

The VWAG is all about reducing complexity and driving component volume through platforms. So each brand is lucky if it gets its own unique suspension module.

OP, why don't you book a test drive at another dealer, and compare the experience to your own vehicle?

• Like 1

Hi all and thanks for the great advises. Something truely incredible happened today...I went to my local Skoda dealer, and asked for detalis about my suspension, and he confirmed that I have the Heavy Duty suspensions, and if I wanted comfort option than I have should opted for the optional DCC suspension when ordering the car. BUTTTTTTT, THIS OPTION IS NOT LISTED ON THE AVAILABLE OPTIONS LIST !!!! :o  :no:  :no: 

:wall:  :wall:  :wall:

So, basically, when ordering a new Skoda Octavia Scout, you have to guess by yourself, and ask the dealar if this type of suspension is available for your car (even though it is  not in the option list....). That option would have costed 900 euros when ordering, a sum that I would have payed without hesitation (instead of ACC, Canton sound, Electric tailgate or something else...).

Now I have the option to retrofit the DCC, completely, whic costs around 2500 euro (just the parts, without the work wages, recoding, etc... !!!!!)

I FOUND THIS ABSOLUTELY REVOLTING ! AND I DON`T KNOW WHO TO ADRESS NOW, my dealer want`s just to get rid of me, by saying that my suspension will soften up in time !! (also A REVOLTING statement, and practically a lie).  :@  :@

Attached the pictures with my current suspension setup:  

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/6127/VQ2Frm.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/6841/IsgPYj.jpg

Also my dealer confirmed that Skoda do set-up their cars differently for different countries.

If anybody else from you, who have a good-riding, comfortable Scout, could send me the codes from his suspension setup, or give me a VIN number from his or a show -room car, or something, so that I can compare my suspension setup with his, I would greatly appreciate it (my VIN number is: TMBLK7NE3H0111075)

I can not express the revolt I am feeling....It is just like with the ACC cruise control. I don`t mind that it goes just to 160km/h, but I would have liked to be informed before ticking it on the options list...... (I`m not a crazy high-speed driver or something, but on higways if for example you want to overtake, and do it faster - because maybe somebody comes with even greater speed from behind, you can not accelerate whit the cruise control lever beyond 160 [which in reality is 150 km/h on my car, measured by GPS] )

Apparently this option, for ordering the car with DCC was available for all octavias (including the Scout), starting from June 2016...

I just can`t believe that Skoda was so lazy, not to print some new options list with this option on it, or at least to include this option in the online configurator....

Some of you who have ordered your cars starting from June 2016, did you encountered this option in your option lists ?