dsg vs manual 170 bhp diesel

cng

I have had almost 10 year happy motoring in an Octy Mark 2 140 Dsg , but a third party rear-ending it this week has put pay to that. So looking around for replacement, thinking of late Mark 2 Superb so 2013/2014 era. I would probably try to keep to DSG but not adverse to manual. Thinking of 170 bhp diesel as heavier car than Octy and realise will have less mpg but hopefully similar performance.

Questions are owners of DSG 170 bhp ( and manual owners) :

1) What revs would be doing in 6th at 70mph ?  dsg vs manual ( i read somewhere DSG revs higher )

2) DSG oil needs recommended change every 40,000 miles?

3) Cambelt change intervals on 170bhp Diesel ?

Thanks

The DSG has shorter gearing than the manual so its fuel economy is a little bit worse. CO2 emissions are higher too. On the pre-facelift model the difference was enough to put it into a higher motor bracket here in Ireland. That may not be an issue for UK owners though.

4 minutes ago, chimaera said:

The DSG has shorter gearing than the manual so its fuel economy is a little bit worse. CO2 emissions are higher too. On the pre-facelift model the difference was enough to put it into a higher motor bracket here in Ireland. That may not be an issue for UK owners though.

I see you have the 170bhp. Manual or DSG ? What's your gearing mph per 1,000 revs in top ? Happy enough with engine and whatever gerarbox you have ?

Mine is a 2012 manual. Can't complain so far for the most part. It's somewhat heavy on fuel around town, but that's to be expected for a car of its size and power. No idea on the revs question - it's not something I pay that much attention to.

2 hours ago, cng said:

I have had almost 10 year happy motoring in an Octy Mark 2 140 Dsg , but a third party rear-ending it this week has put pay to that. So looking around for replacement, thinking of late Mark 2 Superb so 2013/2014 era. I would probably try to keep to DSG but not adverse to manual. Thinking of 170 bhp diesel as heavier car than Octy and realise will have less mpg but hopefully similar performance.

1) What revs would be doing in 6th at 70mph ?  dsg vs manual ( i read somewhere DSG revs higher )

Thanks

Hi

- dsg oil change needed

- cambelt interval is 180 or 210k km (cant remember)

- rev i dont  understand why it is important , but 6th gear is already used 60-70 km/h if You slow down back. Never feeled that the gears are too short. 

This combination is the best that You can choose ;)

4 hours ago, cng said:

Thanks

Hi, sold my 170 manual in September but if I remember it was under 2500 rpm at 70mph. The cambelt was changed at 4 years as my water pump was leaking slightly but should be changed at 5 years anyway.

11 minutes ago, superbrex said:

Hi, sold my 170 manual in September but if I remember it was under 2500 rpm at 70mph. The cambelt was changed at 4 years as my water pump was leaking slightly but should be changed at 5 years anyway.

Surely nearer 2000prm than 2500? My 2012 Octavia MK2FL vRS CR (170) DSG is 32mph/1000rpm and the 2013 MkIII is 35/1000 . 

For me, right now, I think I have the best combo - 2.0 tdi, 170ps+ 4x4, DSG, estate :)

If I'll need to change - right now I don't see a reason - for at least few years :) - only the same spec or better :)

Comfy enought :) don't need fancy radio - Google Maps are the best :) spacious enough - you can fit 3/4 of the pallet :) good power vs. economy :)

3l+ would be more powerful - but mpg would be much worse and wouldn't be much more spacious - so I've stopped thinking about 3-5l Touareg ;) Amarok looks good ;) but they no longer do more than 2l tdi anyway :(

3 hours ago, chimaera said:

I checked on the motorway earlier: 120 km/h in 6th in the manual is a shade under 2200 rev/min.

My 1.6d in 6th at 120kph on the speedo is under 2000rpm. At a true 120kph (using Satellite - about 125kph on the speedo) its 2000rpm.  6th gear ratio must be different to the 2.0 170...?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, philbes said:

Surely nearer 2000prm than 2500? My 2012 Octavia MK2FL vRS CR (170) DSG is 32mph/1000rpm and the 2013 MkIII is 35/1000 . 

Thank's that's what I wanted. Basically gearing in top similar to my soon to depart 140 Octavia DSG ( 2007 ) .

14 hours ago, chimaera said:

I checked on the motorway earlier: 120 km/h in 6th in the manual is a shade under 2200 rev/min.

+1 my old 170 manual was the same.  Around 2100 at 120 km/h and 1800 at 100 km /h.

• Like 1

Thanks for replies ( not always clear if folk are giving their figures for manual or dsg 170 diesels ) , but it would seem DSG is lower geared in 6th , maybe to stop it hunting between a too high 6th and a 5th gear.

I assume people with the manual 170 bhp are happy with the gear spacing through the ratios and 6th gear will cruise nicely on motorways at 60-70 with enough torque without having to change down for standard motorway hills or gentle overtaking at that speed ?

6 hours ago, cng said:

Thanks for replies ( not always clear if folk are giving their figures for manual or dsg 170 diesels ) , but it would seem DSG is lower geared in 6th , maybe to stop it hunting between a too high 6th and a 5th gear.

I assume people with the manual 170 bhp are happy with the gear spacing through the ratios and 6th gear will cruise nicely on motorways at 60-70 with enough torque without having to change down for standard motorway hills or gentle overtaking at that speed ?

2011, CR170 manual, 2,100 at 70. 

• Like 1

I'm around 2,250 RPM at GPS 70 (not speedo 70).

Average consumption about 40-45. Can easily manage 50+ mpg on a steady run on A roads.

There's no arguing with regular fluid changes as noted above.

• Like 1