Suspension Replacement Dilemma, your advice wanted!

Came back from the garage today with news that I've snapped a front spring which will need replacing.
I've had the car for 100,000 miles now, and in that time the handling has went from 'good' to very wallowly and happily skips over bumps like its on ice. Combined with a knocking noise on bumps and the crashy ride (it feels as though all rebound properties of the shock have gone) I think its time to replace the whole lot. The problem is, replace it to what??

The car is a mk2 1.9PD estate. Mainly driven on A and B roads, as rare as possible in town. Road quality isn't great, and I carry a lot of equipment in the boot.
I do a lot of miles each year so want to keep it comfortable, but at the same time, I would like to sharpen it up a bit. Also, the car seems to ride high even with equipment in the boot so would like to drop this a little, as I seem to get better 'high speed' economy when the car is lower down with equipment. Seems reasonably easy so far.....
But, driving style wise, I would say average, but then thinking about it (and I don't mean this is a gloating way) in the last 4 years and 100,000 miles, I've only ever come across ONE other driver who takes corners at the same 'swiftness' as myself. Which would suggest a much more sporty driving style.
The options I seem to have are:

Just replace all with standard parts.

Fit standard springs and maybe Bilstein B4 or B6 shocks.

Get a B12 kit (expensive) and have stiffer lower springs, but it might destroy low speed comfort.

Something else?? Would greenline model springs give me the 20mm or so lowering effect which I could combine with standard/B4 shocks to give the slower, comfortable but slightly firmer option I'm after? Would they even fit? I did at one point have an L&K with sport suspension and the optional 17" wheels and that felt fine to me, so thats a good guide I guess for what im after.

Obviously, having taken 3/4 of a coil out of a front spring this isn't something I can sit and ponder about for too long. So I thought I would draw on the knowledge and experience of you fellow Octavia owners to see what you have done and what you could recommend. I know I've mentioned the Eibach/Bilstein combo in my options, but maybe there's another manufacturer you can recommend that would suit my needs? Open to any suggestions!

Looking forward to what you all come up with.

Rob (and his empty wallet :D )

Edited by robt100

Thanks for your advice guys. It seems from both your remarks that standard springs are a definite no! Suprised there hasn't been more responses given the amount of octys on here with suspension mods/issues/replacements.
@Vegasphil Do you know how the car is to drive with the B4s and eibach springs? Is that on a petrol or diesel? It IS a reasonable price, I just hope its a reasonable ride too :D

Another option would be with B6 shocks with stock springs as these are the same shocks that come with the B12 kit but non shortened versions as it tailored towards those who want an upgrade but do not wish lower.  But you did mention you wanted to lower hence the recommendation of the B12 kit.

Anyway even with new B4 shocks and stock springs it will make a difference as at 100k you shocks will be shot or past their best. So your options really depends on your budget as in general you pay for what you get.

Fitted B8 shocks to my standard springs and the handling over uneven roads did improve, which was what I was after. It also handles better when pushed around bends. Informed my insurance company and because it had not been lowered, they do not treat it as a modification so insurance stayed the same. 

2 hours ago, Damian@DPM said:

For a cheaper option I'd say Bilstein B4 Sport dampers and Eibach Pro springs, if you want to go all out then the B12 kit takes some beating.

Damian @ DPM Performance 

I have this exact Kit due to be fitted next week, I will be updating my project thread with my thoughts.

We went Bilstein B12, do a search and you will find my full review.

Excellent, better handling, better ride, dealt with weeks with of fishing gear so well I almost forgot I was carrying it. Octavia vrs. Lowering was not a reason for us for doing it. Expect costs to be a little more than quoted as things will be stuck.

I have B4 sport and eibach Pro kit, and I really like the combination. Can't remember the exact cost but it wasn't a lot to buy from German eBay and then fit myself. With the Pegasus alloys it's the same as the factory sport option, which IMO looks really good as well.