Do I need a 2.0 Yeti? (Caravan sold)

gumdrop

I have sold my Bailey Orion 400/2 and am left with a 2.0 tow car.

do I need a car like this given the nastiness being brewed up

against diesels? Is there a reliable and economic petrol alternative?

There are lots of them of all makes and models.  You just need to do your research to see what meets your changed circumstances.

Edited by x19
spelling corection

2 hours ago, gumdrop said:

I have sold my Bailey Orion 400/2 and am left with a 2.0 tow car....

It's a dilemma, Gumdrop, isn't it?  Grunt, auto box and size were the three main specs for the replacement for our X-Trail five years ago.  The Yeti then had no competition but our big Elddis has now gone, ending our caravanning days.  I feel no pressure to change cars simply for that, though, or because of dieselgate - the 140 DSG 4x4 is just too much fun! 

After several unproductive market searches I'm sitting tight for the moment.  I'll probably wait and see what the new pseudo-Yeti does to 'used' prices.  Another year isn't going to make all that much difference to the cost-to-change and there might be some newish 1.2/1.4 Tsi DSGs around.  One of those might then suit us nicely :wondering:

Edited by Brijo
Typo
  • Like 1

Of course there are petrol options for the Yeti but they are limited.

There's the older 1.8TSi the newer 1.4TSi and the 1.2TSi.

The newer 1.4TSi is manual only in the UK. The 1.2TSi is available in manual and DSG but only in FWD.

There is a lot of negativity about diesel at the moment, sales are slipping and diesel second hand prices are sliding slightly and that's before widespread Low Emission Zones, the expansion of London's zone, the increase in parking charges for diesels and the changes in taxation. 

But it's pretty pointless swapping the car you have already unless you are ready for a change or need to go into LEZ areas, you will still lose out financially.

VW have said that the forthcoming Polo will be the last small VW to feature a diesel engine and although the 2020 Mk8 Golf will have limited diesel options the MK9 due around 2028 will not. Top Gear are reporting the newly facelifted Golf GTD will probably be the last.

I expect the rest of VAG will be similar for the small and medium platforms. So over the next decade we see less diesel choice and more Petrol/Hybrid/EV choice.

Lee

The cheapest option is to stay with what you have got for now until the time comes for you to think about changing then decide. If you really like the Yeti then the 1.2 TSI seems to get high praise on here.

Ian

5 hours ago, Brijo said:

No help to me personally, Ryeman - that's for a younger generation of drivers.

Can't handle the acceleration Brian? ))) (pst: there's a button)

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108723_2017-chevy-bolt-ev-electric-car-new-owners-first-impressions

As Ryeman says, 

An EU6 is very clean by any ICE standards.

Even petrol engines chuck out nasties.

The job of the catalytic converter is to convert harmful pollutants into less harmful emissions. 

One of its biggest shortcomings is that it only works at a fairly high temperature. When you start your car cold, the catalytic converter does almost nothing to reduce the pollution in your exhaust.

Hi have a 4 year old Diesel 4x4 , 2 Litre , 65 Litre Tank, Range to red Line is 600/680 KM.

Local has Ford Falcon GTHO Bathurst Winner V8  , His Wife , also a Rev Head said to him

follow him I want a New Car, we talked  and they both Drove my Yeti ,

and they bought a new 1.2 TSI Turbo, diesels are not available in Australia now.

• New Friends as a Thank you gave me 6 Bottles of Wine which we shared over BBQ.

^^^I suspect the diesel will be back in euro6 form before too long 

Euro6 implementation date is 1 July for all new ones

Edited by Ryeman

18 hours ago, Carlodiesel said:

As Ryeman says, 

An EU6 is very clean by any ICE standards.

Even petrol engines chuck out nasties.

The job of the catalytic converter is to convert harmful pollutants into less harmful emissions. 

One of its biggest shortcomings is that it only works at a fairly high temperature. When you start your car cold, the catalytic converter does almost nothing to reduce the pollution in your exhaust.

Diesel has a specific issue and that is NOx emissions. Most of our cities breach safe NOx limits. Some places in London breached the yearly safe exposure limits on January 8th.

That's why we have Low Emission Zones are being introduced and why some councils are going to be charging more to park diesels.

Since VW dieselgate it's been proven that even Euro 6 diesels emit many more times the NOx on the road than is allowed in the Euro 6 lab tests.

The new RDE tests that will be introduced soon will mean the on road NOx emissions will be more realistic but the NOx limit has been lifted for diesels so they will still emit more NOx than petrol.

The extra emission systems required to comply with the ever restrictive RDE tests will make small to medium diesels obsolete within decade. That why VAG are saying the next Polo platform will be the last with a diesel option and by the time the Mk9 Golf is out near to 2030 the Golf will not have a diesel option.

Diesel sales exceeded petrol sales in 2014 but not for 2015 or 2016 and sales are still dropping. January sales for diesel were 5% down on last year and that's before the LEZ, parking charges, tax changes and more costly emission systems start to bite.

VW diesel gate may not have killed VW but it's certainly started the slow death of diesel in cars.

Lee

I've been driving a 1.2 yeti on loan for the last 3 weeks while my local dealer try to mend my fabia  (another story to be told when I get it back) and I'm quite surprised how well it goes.

3 minutes ago, YetiVRS said:

I've been driving a 1.2 yeti on loan for the last 3 weeks while my local dealer try to mend my fabia  (another story to be told when I get it back) and I'm quite surprised how well it goes.

.......and that's a heavy car.

Not like mine.

19 hours ago, Ryeman said:

.......and that's a heavy car.

Not like mine.

Looking at the Pug 308 1.2 Auto it says in the brochure 1150kg kerbweight, for the Yeti DSG it's 1285kg. So about two small adults in it.

The new Octavia on the lighter MQB chassis is a big car by any standards similar to a 408 and starts from 1150kg.

The new Yeti will probably grow a bit but should be at least 100kg lighter based on what happened when the Octavia moved onto the MQB chassis. It will probably loose the 1.2 and get the 1.0 too.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

3 hours ago, logiclee said:

Looking at the Pug 308 1.2 Auto it says in the brochure 1150kg kerbweight, for the Yeti DSG it's 1285kg. So about two small adults in it.

The new Octavia on the lighter MQB chassis is a big car by any standards similar to a 408 and starts from 1150kg.

The new Yeti will probably grow a bit but should be at least 100kg lighter based on what happened when the Octavia moved onto the MQB chassis. It will probably loose the 1.2 and get the 1.0 too.

Lee

We seem to get the more powerful version from what I've read.

Importers treat us like the States, more power!

I was going to check out the new 3008 but it's been delayed 6 months by a fire in a Czech factory.