4x4 and 15 inch wheels

Hi again folks,

so i have my eye on a 10 plate Octavia 4x4 estate which has 15 inch Skoda alloys. The car certainly looks like its "perching" on wheels which look too small/wrong on the car. I have had a quick look through the forum but cannot find anything definitive on what is required if i wanted to lower the suspension on a 4x4. Its weird but the Scout version doesn't appear to look the same but i presume that is due to the extra mouldings with the Scout or because they are 17" standard wheels?

So my questions are.... can i get away with 17inch alloys and what exactly would i need in order to drop the suspension....i'm not looking to go silly....lets say normal or VRS height for arguments sake........i would be looking at changing the shocks for Bilstein type anyway.

So assuming this can be done......what parts would i need exactly and at what kind of cost ballpark parts only figure? 

sorry if this is a daft question

Changing the wheels is trivial, personally I would try and stay with OEM sizes and you'll need to inform your insurance. The 4x4 and Scout both come with bigger tyres than the rest of the range:

- 4x4 -has 6.5Jx15 ET50 with 205/60 r15 tyres

- Scout has 7Jx17 ET50 with 225/55 r17 tyres

As for ground clearance for the estate, the choices are:

- vRS 128mm

- Standard 140mm

- 4x4 163mm

- Scout 179mm

To lower it you'll need shorter springs, I don't know if standard or vRS springs will fit the 4x4/Scout as the rear suspension is different compared to FWD variants.

The most common suspension I see fitted is the blistein b12 kit. Just remember that most aftermarket kits base the drop against the standard car height so a 30mm kit will probably take you to ~110mm.

• Like 1

thanks langers2k......i'll try and digest that and come back....i'm a bit of a noob at any modification always driven standard cars so its all a bit fresh to me....questions to follow:)

1 minute ago, jong123 said:

I have an 08 octavia  4 X 4 with 15 inch alloys and would not change wheels or suspension as it handles as if on rails as it is.

any pics on here jong123?

I changed the 15" Pyxis alloys on my 2010 4X4 Estate for 17" Cepeus alloys.  The latter looked far nicer but the ride on the 15" alloys was noticeably better and road noise was less too

On 2/10/2017 at 14:52, tyreman1 said:

I changed my 15" wheels to 16" soon after buying Octavia 4x4 estate and must admit they look a lot better and tyres are more reasonable in a common 205/55x16 size

Was just going to say that there was a 16" option on the 4x4 which we have fitted...   Apollon wheels.

thanks for all the replies folks. Hopefully going to look at a Scout tomorrow it has the standard 17" alloys which look much more fitting for this car...we'll see how the suspension is.....dont think i would want to lower it ....may want to replace the suspension at a later date though.