Budget Tyres

Granite66

Due to a run of pothole damage, I've now switched to budget tyres.

Boto Vantage. Looking for a downside, because the grip on these on winter roads is better than the Yokohamas I had on before, for just over £50 a corner. I;m assuming they'll wear badly? But unless they do under 8k miles I'm not sure why I should splash out on the good stuff anymore?

The downsides are likely to be; poor wet weather grip, increased braking distance, reduced fuel economy, more noise, unknown degrading as the tyre wears, lowers the value and desirability of your car (In my opinion, I'd never buy a car with Chinese rubbish tyres on). 

On the plus side you have saved £30 a corner over a decent brand mid-range tyre.

I put budget tyres on the Zafira I had at the time (supposedly entry level Yokohamas) , then managed to hit a wet patch on a corner, everything locked, had no grip at all,  and i hit the kerb bending the sub frame..  and was only doing 30mph at the time,  vowed never to use budget tyres again, this was a good 7 years ago so the quality may have improved since then - but personally I would not take the risk. Personally I would pay a few quid more now for the peace of mind.

Not all Inexpensive tyres are rubbish, you can buy tyres manufactured on the European Continent that suit use in European Conditions and weather and do a very good job of providing traction in various conditions and that stand up to miles (km's) and bad roads.

eg, Tigar Tyres made in a factory owned by Michelin that owns the Company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigar_Tyres

• Like 1

I did find a website a while ago whilst looking for tyres.

tyrereviews.co.uk list many types of tyres and people who have used the tyres give their reviews based on their actual experience - just thought this may be worth a look when looking for new tyres. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my take on cheap tyres The  last tyres i bought were uni royal rainsport 3 225/45/18 these cost me £78 a corner !

Traveling down through France I  had a blowout at 75mph!! I managed to control it and pull off the road ,I was fully loaded all the stuff 2 kids and a  roofbox ! 

Now when i changed the wheel at the side of the road it looked perfect just a puncture and flat  until I took it off , the inside  had blown there was no side wall !! To its  credit the tyre never left the rim saving me a damaged alloy and still be able to pull up safely !

The point is I think a tingtong or other budget tyre would of struggled to stop on the rim !!

my daughter had a moment today, as she came around a corner  a car on her side of the road avoiding a puddle was coming the other way.  she had to hug the side of the road and the car hit mud and started to go.  She said it suddenly snapped back under control ( ESC maybe?)  I cant prove that the tires I put on her car  ( Bridgestone winters ) helped in that situation but I don't want to  ever think what if I had just spent that bit extra.

I may be being dramatic but I will never buy budget tires as long as I can afford it. but I don't judge those who do because every ones got a budget to live with.

Edited by speedy2
  • Like 1

Insurance Underwriters like to charge when they can for a greater risk,

But never heard of them loading the insurance if a vehicle has tyres 'That cost Less than other tyres' but are the correct, spec as in Speed / Load Rating.

If they were to be then the OEM tyres fitted by the likes of the Biggest and 2nd Biggest Car manufacturers in the world might cause issues, 

because the ECO tyres might be manufactured by Major Manufacturers & cost a bit more if bought at Retailers, but they are 'Budget Tyres' in performance often.

The RRP of tyres is really no guarantee of improved performance as in grip / traction or ability to stand up to abuse from bad road surfaces and not blow out.

If the most expensive tyres meant the best and safest tyres then surely it is a no brainer, fit the most expensive.

Doesn't work that way and even the VW Group fit some horror shows from Dunlop, Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental, Pirelli etc

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Google the names of some of the cheapest tyres, then look for tyre tests and video clips where they are tested against even mid range tyres. Often they provide less road holding, i.e. cornering ability particularly in the wet, but often in the dry too. The ESP will kick in much sooner and more agressive to compensate for the lack in stabilty through the tyres.

Many mid range european tyres are tested positively well, but are still a little off the best test results.

Tests by others like Magazines are good.

But since you own a vehicle and if it has on the OEM tyres the VW Group fit, like Dunlop, Pirelli, Continental etc. 

often ECO tyres but rather expensive if you replaced like for like and a bit iffy in the wet / cold / even the dry,  (cheap to the VW Group because many just replace like for like,  good business all round for Tyre Manufacturers,  VW Group suppliers.)

it is easy to know your self if the not 'Big Brand Name' tyres you try do show the traction control light more often, 

or give less grip in the way you drive.

Sometimes sucking and seeing is more revealing than trusting to some food reviewer.

Although cheap Tyres can be a gamble I think it depends on the driver as to how big a risk they are. A good driver who doesn't drive a car to its limits is unlikely to find the limitations of a budget tyre in the same way someone with poor road sense would. I also think there are some gems out there, I had a modified focus with accelera alphas on and they were excellent in all conditions but it's a brand we no longer fit at work due to apparent poor quality. That's not to say I don't believe in getting what you pay for, I've just fitted 4 avons to my furby, hardly a budget tyre but I also drive it quite hard from time to time so I notice where the extra money went and if it was being used on track from time to time I'd have some more serious rubber, I doubt my mother could tell the difference though.

I guess you have to consider the fact that a lot of cars on the road now sit on eco tyres which are essentially designed with less grip to give better economy and a lot of those will be premium brands so make of that what you will.

Tyres, giving petrol heads a headache since the days of the horse and cart.

Look around the pounds these days at accident recovered cars, look at the vehicles you see being recovered in accidents and how many other than boy / girl racer crap hatches are old cars, and how many are very new vehicles still on OEM tyres. 

How come so many BMW's seem to be in crashes, those ultimate driving machines on those lovely sexxy wide tyres.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Look around the pounds these days at accident recovered cars, look at the vehicles you see being recovered in accidents and how many other than boy / girl racer crap hatches are old cars, and how many are very new vehicles still on OEM tyres. 

How come so many BMW's seem to be in crashes, those ultimate driving machines on those lovely sexxy wide tyres.

I agree - when I was looking for a new car I was looking at the fabia mc tsi and fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - it was quite interesting to search autotrader on the lowest price as the first 2/3 pages for fiesta's were almost 100% cat c/d cars whereas there were very few cat c/d fabia mc's. I think this might be something to do with the Ford PCP offer or 'other' factors.

Anyway, awayoffski one of your posts quote tigar tyres and I want to replace 2 sunny tyres before the winter comes - I am looking at the synergis - are you still happy about the performance of your tyres please?

Best wishes,

John

N.B oops I didn't see your reply in the Mohawk post

Edited by Guest

Very happy with TIGAR Tyres.

I ran Winters & Summers from them on my Volvo S60. 

And have had the summers on the vRS almost a full year last year in all conditions other than i had on snow tyres , All Seasons really from Maxxis AP2's on for a few weeks. No use for all year i wrecked a pair the winter before on potholes, well a loved one did.

DSCN0331.JPG.5487eb8ac8c1f58c4646869245f2588a.JPG

post-86161-0-01078300-1444393088.jpg

post-86161-0-50269600-1458230079.jpg

post-86161-0-01613600-1451087468.jpg

Edited by Awayoffski

17 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

How come so many BMW's seem to be in crashes, those ultimate driving machines on aquaplane specials.

Correction inline, bold.

• Like 1

I've only had one scare in the beemer and that was self inflicted. Came through some horrendous water in the last few days with fat barsteward tyres which are probably 2/3 worn and nothing not a shimmy. I assume that the X-Drive is actually doing a lot more than I'm aware of.

Back OT my mate put his car in to be fixed and services inc tyres and thought he got a really good deal till it came back with "Landsail" tyres fitted all round. I've started referring to his car as the "Wing Lee Special" (local carry out).

But tbh he's happy enough and in the bad weather he's had no bother and thinks they're quieter than his previous tyres (usually buys premium tyres).

Cheap stuff usually goes one of two ways - super soft so they're grippy but don't last.

Or super hard so they last a long time but don't grip in the wet (Chinese ditch finders).

Plenty of half decent budget brands are owned by big premium manufacturers - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/who-owns-what-tyre-brands.htm

1 minute ago, KenONeill said:

@Aspman - Amazingly enough that wasn't aimed at you! ;)

@kevberlin - Agreed, but I'd still sooner have a good driver on good tyres behind me.

It's the internet, everything is personal!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@Aspman - Amazingly enough that wasn't aimed at you! ;)

@kevberlin - Agreed, but I'd still sooner have a good driver on good tyres behind me.

....and so, out of choice, would I Ken.

Theres a brand out now which we fit quite a few of called laufenn. There made by hankook and i have asked the people who are running them and have had nothing but good reviews. 

I spoke to celtic tyres near us who told me that laufenn tyres use last years tread pattern from the hankook range and at £40 a tyre for 205 40 17 i shall be buying a set when my current tyres need replacing. 

IMG_0397.JPG

• Like 2

Hi, well Alex Laufenn seem to be a good option, just need to find out if they sell 215*40*17 and a  Midlands/ Leicestershire dealer?

Great info thx,

John

Edited by Guest