Should I chip from day one or not at all?

Nobbi1977

New TSI 1.4 L&K on order on a 2 year lease.

With my more is more way of thinking I am looking at the DTUK chip. £400 less what I can sell it for at the end is not cheap but I am willing to pay if it is worth it.

Anyone got advice on if these make a real world difference to these engines or is it only if the inner boy racer comes out I will notice it.

Welcome.

Do you mean fit a Tuning Box?

I would wait until you at least 'Drive in the car'  / Run in, see and hear all is well and running without issues and see how it performs.

As to a Tuning Box not invalidating a Manufacturers Warranty, that might be so if you get it removed before calling out Skoda Assist or Recovery if there was some issues out on the road.

If there were issues with the Tuning Box fitted then you are in a Grey Area as far as Warranty Issues.

The fact the car is not yours and also that you will need to declare the mod to the insurance needs consideration.

Edited by Offski

Yes sorry a tuning box.

Had not thought about the insurance aspect. The Yeti is going to be £100 year more than my C1 as it is.

Not worried about warranty, I know my way around an engine bay and am sure I can whip it off before recovery arrives.

I dont want to wait to long after delivery to decide as I only have the car for 24 months so need to get my monies worth.

I think I remember talk of a discount on the DTUK boxes for Briskoda members. Worth asking if you go that route.

I've read that fitting/removing a DTUK box to a diesel is a 5 minute job, but a lot more fiddly on the petrol versions because one of the sensor fittings is down under the engine and usually requires removal of the undertray (on the Octavia).

The engine is quite spritely so definitely try without first, and probably best not to fit one until the end of the 'running in' period anyway.

Edited by Gerrycan

Some reference on here recently that the modern ecu etc can detect tuning boxes and is reported on a vcds download, however I stand to be corrected!

It wasn't registered on older Yetis.

The dealership computers seem to know all about the car usage, so maybe it would 'remember' that a tuning box or re-chip had been on it.......

Agree with above about leasing company & insurance - neither are fools and know what enthusiasts get upto. 

Get involved in an accident or breaking down on the motorway hard shoulder in dark in the pouring rain and fishing a tuning box out of the engine bay will be furthest from your mind.  Chances are, it will be fine and you can remove it whenever the car goes in for a service or warranty work, but, as Clint would say "do you feel lucky?".

Although I understand your enthusiasm for more performance have you actually driven the car for any length of time?

I have had three Yetis, 110bhp diesel , 140 bhp diesel and the latest one 110bhp  1.2 petrol. They have all satisfied my needs at the time I bought them without me thinking I needed any more performance.

My motoring requirements have changed and so I've changed my cars to suit. 

Sorry but if you are not satisfied with your car you should consider that you've made the wrong choice and either change it or make the best of it until you can make another change.

Fred

• Like 1

Choice to a point is dictated by the deal I can get. 

I have a 1.2 C1 at the moment so the performance will be better anyway. 

On the flip side, why not have more if more is available relatively cheaply.

On 14/02/2017 at 21:38, Nobbi1977 said:

Yes sorry a tuning box.

Had not thought about the insurance aspect. The Yeti is going to be £100 year more than my C1 as it is.

Not worried about warranty, I know my way around an engine bay and am sure I can whip it off before recovery arrives.

I dont want to wait to long after delivery to decide as I only have the car for 24 months so need to get my monies worth.

Not worried about warranty, I know my way around an engine bay and am sure I can whip it off before recovery arrives

This is assuming you have not had an incapacitating, accident (heaven forbid) insurance investigators also know

their way around an engine bay!

The risk is yours. My thoughts go out to the unsuspecting buyer who is the next owner if the vehicle's reliability is impaired by your plans. 

I too enjoy enthusiastic driving and try to look for the best I can realistically afford. If you plan to lease, why not consider an option that meets your performance requirements? Just a thought. Good luck in any decision you make.

G'day George 

The one I had on my 140tdi Yeti gave consumption under reading of at least 2L/100 eg 3.5 instead of actual 5.5.

It messes with the ecu's calculations such that it was completely useless for any sort of practical use.

DTUK accepted that as being the reality also.

our Pugs have dead accurate odometers and the only discrepancy in economy history seems to be more related to speedo over read ~ 4%....instant usage seems pretty accurate also.

308 av economy 9999kms - 5L/100

2008 "     "               "          3.7

Edited by Ryeman
Add
  • Like 1

What do you need the calculations for if you are driving your vehicle, filling the tank and using the fuel and refilling every 400-500 miles.

Anyway it is a Petrol Engine getting a Tuning Box fitted too and they do the job quite well.

A Bluespark box is worth checking out, the UK sellers know their stuff.

http://bluesparkautomotive.com

Edited by Offski

G'day George 

The one I had on my 140tdi Yeti gave consumption under reading of at least 2L/100 eg 3.5 instead of actual 5.5.

It messes with the ecu's calculations such that it was completely useless for any sort of practical use.

DTUK accepted that as being the reality also.

7 minutes ago, Offski said:

What do you need the calculations for if you are driving your vehicle, filling the tank and using the fuel and refilling every 400-500 miles.

Anyway it is a Petrol Engine getting a Tuning Box fitted too and they do the job quite well.

A Bluespark box is worth checking out, the UK sellers know their stuff.

http://bluesparkautomotive.com

I'm not sure that much 'stuff' is actually "needed" these days.......unless you're into switching off.......?

1 minute ago, Offski said:

Sorry confused now, the OP is asking about a 1.4TSI, what has Fuel Treatments for Diesel Common Rails to do with anything.

Nothing at all actually but someone might be interested.......not worth a thread

If you have an accident and god forbid can't get out of the car or need hospital treatment then expect your insurance not to pay up and the lease company recover their costs through the courts. You will be looking at a £25k debt.

Your credit future will be screwed, you may have fines and points for no insurance.

It is really worth it for a car that has adequate performance and isn't really a sports car.

Lee

• Like 2