Anyone ever mended a heated seat?

Andy Sayle

Morning all,

I've recently noticed that the drivers heated seat is not functioning correctly.  The base is not heating up, but the seat back is.  Passenger side is working fine on the base and back.

Has anyone encountered this before?  I'm wondering if it is likely to be a fuse, or the heating pad?

Cheers

Andy

Ah, that sounds like a slightly more complicated repair than replacing a fuse :(

Anyone ever done this repair themselves then?  How much of a job is it to get into the seat, and do the replacement?  I like to have an idea about these things before I get a quote from our dealer.

The car is out of warranty by the way.

Andy

It is quite a common failure: there are multiple reports of it happening to folks on this forum, including at least two people who had it happen to them twice.  (I was one of them.)

Dealer quote is a likely to be in the region of £400-500.

I believe some people have DIYed it but I've so far failed to turn up any good descriptions of the process.  This post describes seeing it done by the dealer (note the caveat about the air bags - I wouldn't want one of those going off unexpectedly, or at all, in fact).

Same on mine, Andy.  I too toyed with fixing it myself but the small amount of research I did seemed to point to it being a bit of a pig to do.

By the way, I believe we went to college together!  Sat behind you in German (until you dropped it, I think?!).

Rob G

Had identical repair this month, cost £33 for heating element, £103 for labour,  +vat  Skoda dealer. Failed just outside warranty but am writing to Skoda UK to try and get policy claim paid. Not happy as may well fail again, according to BRISKODA posters.

• Like 1

Will give my local dealer a shout tomorrow and see what they say the cost is likely to be.  If it is £100 ish labour, I'll get them to do it.  If it is 400-500 quid, then I'll have a crack at doing it myself.  Although if it is horrendously complicated, I wouldn't want to make an arse of the job...  I do miss having a toasty warm bum in the morning though!

6 hours ago, BobbyG79 said:

Same on mine, Andy.  I too toyed with fixing it myself but the small amount of research I did seemed to point to it being a bit of a pig to do.

By the way, I believe we went to college together!  Sat behind you in German (until you dropped it, I think?!).

Rob G

Blimey, that was a few years ago!  Good times!  I did drop it.  Well, I was advised that "perhaps my efforts would be better spent in my core subjects", which took to be a nice way of saying you are rubbish at German, stick to what you are good at!  Hope you are well anyway :)

Andy

15 hours ago, awfabia said:

Had identical repair this month, cost £33 for heating element, £103 for labour,  +vat  Skoda dealer.

Interesting: that's vastly cheaper than the quote I was given to get mine fixed, before Skoda UK agreed to doing it under goodwill.

34 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Interesting: that's vastly cheaper than the quote I was given to get mine fixed, before Skoda UK agreed to doing it under goodwill.

So, how many months out of warranty was it?

15 hours ago, Andy Sayle said:

Blimey, that was a few years ago!  Good times!  I did drop it.  Well, I was advised that "perhaps my efforts would be better spent in my core subjects", which took to be a nice way of saying you are rubbish at German, stick to what you are good at!  Hope you are well anyway :)

Andy

Thanks Andy, yep all well here thanks, hope you're good too.  I wish someone would have had a similar conversation with me!......my Deutsche endeavours ultimately ended in failure :)

Anyway, glad to see that whatever education we may have had has led us both to Yetidom :thumbup: 

Mit freundlichen Grüßen ;)

4 hours ago, awfabia said:

So, how many months out of warranty was it?

One month, if that.  First MOT and service done end of October.  First cold spell for which the heated seat would have been useful came along mid-November.

The moral of the story would appear to be to check that all the car's systems are working correctly before the warranty expires.  (Bear in mind that the Yeti is only the third car I've bought myself from new - the previous ones were thirty and twenty years ago!  All the ones in between have been company cars, which you just hand back if they break.)