Panoramic roof

Mr Grump

Hi I have spec'd this on my Kodiaq as I always liked the idea.

But just wondering now ... being 6'2 would this cause probs with headroom, and worried about rattles/squeaks and leaks down the line, generally how good are Skoda/vw pano roofs these days ?

6 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

Hi I have spec'd this on my Kodiaq as I always liked the idea.

But just wondering now ... being 6'2 would this cause probs with headroom, and worried about rattles/squeaks and leaks down the line, generally how good are Skoda/vw pano roofs these days ?

You've answered your own question.

All the reasons NOT to have a sun roof on any car. Oh and the extra weight and the upfront ££££££ too.

Why would you?

Because its nice to have the extra light, and  I think would be a nice addition. *(assuming they don't rattle/squeak or leak !).

I was hoping there were some owners of current skoda cars with them would be looking in here, perhaps this post might be best moved to a general section.

My Octy is just over three years old, has 32k on the clock and came with a panoramic sunroof.

Obviously not a Kodiak but nevertheless, I'm 6.0 tall and have no issues whatsoever with headroom, I would expect the Kodiak to have more?

Aside from the height thing, it's a lovely addition, it is as you know pretty much full length with just the front half opening and a blind that can be open and closed too. It certainly makes the rather dark interior of my vRS a much lighter, brighter place to be and as soon as the weather dries a little, I have it open on most journeys.

To bring a bit of balance to earlier suggestions based purely on MY experience...

The extra weight has little or no effect on a reasonably powered vehicle, in a Kodiak I wouldn't even give it a thought, I don't on my 184ps vRS.

Its not cheap but I guess that would be balanced by how much you want / use it, as I mentioned, mine is used loads and I love it so it was £1150 well spent. Sure when you come to change the car, expensive accessories such as a sunny are pretty much a total loss for the seller and a nice bonus for the buyer so don't expect to get the money back although your car may well be more desirable secondhand as a result of having one.

Reliability (electrically), 100%, never had an issue.

Reliabilty (leaks), 100%, that includes power washing and the almost biblical rainstorms of a couple of years back.

Rattles and noises, I will be totally honest and say it did have a slight rattle (when open) if you hit a pothole or pronounced surface change in the road, this was diagnosed as a slightly loose rail by the dealer who sorted it at a recent service., this is not wholly uncommon but easily remedied.

My sunroof got a little noisy opening and closing, not mechanical or electrical but a sort of rubbery rubbing sound, that was cured with a spear of sunroof seal lube which is recommended but not part of the service schedule.

Thats it, to be totally honest I am biased, I love a sunroof in a car and have had my fair share of leaky ones in the past too but so far, the one in my Octy has performed faultlessly and I love it!

Hope this helps with your decision making...

• Like 2

Thank you Mence, as always it helps to get a few responses from people with them, that was an informative answer. :)

I am kind of thinking that it might be a bit superfluous, I likely wouldn't open it much (just liked the idea of the extra light) but as I am going with a light interior colour anyways, I am leaning toward removing it and adding a couple of potentially more practical options.

We have one in the Yeti and it has been open a handful of times in the last 2 ½ years, would I pay extra for it?... not a chance, even less in a Kodiaq as I am already struggling to keep it below £40K as it is :sweat:

FWIW in the Yeti it is 100% trouble free, my Superb has beige leather and it is already quite light in there (no sunroof)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, andyvee said:

My O3 Pano Roof has leaked and necessitated new carpets and soundproofing throughout, as well as the headlining being removed a few times to trace the leak.

Sent you a pm!

On 21/02/2017 at 00:05, BoxerBoy said:

You've answered your own question.

All the reasons NOT to have a sun roof on any car. Oh and the extra weight and the upfront ££££££ too.

Why would you?

Because of the extra light, fresh air, and because there's very little chance of problems.

• Like 1

On 22 February 2017 at 19:29, Mr Grump said:

Cheers guys, I am satisfied it would generally not cause any issues, but have removed it from my spec as I don't think I would use it often :)

You can buy enough fuel for almost a year now  :)

• Like 1

I had one else in my yeti and it never caused any problems plus I'm over 6 foot.

I also had a loan yeti without one and it wasn't nearly such a nice light feel to the car, I've got an identicalroof in my Alhambra and I think it's worth every penny 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My first sunroof was in a 2014 octavia RS and fell in love with it. I love the extra light it brings to the car especially in the winter. I would be happy to have the sun roof even if it did not open, since I rarely open it.

Second sun roof was in my RS 4x4, and the third will be in my Kodiaq. 

The trouble with sun roof is that when you had in a car it is very hard bot to order it for the next car....

On 20.2.2017 at 19:30, Mr Grump said:

... being 6'2 would this cause probs with headroom...

I am exactly the same height. Just sat in Kodiaq with panoramic roof at dealers and no problems with headroom at all.