Had tires changed and now we got error lights, yay!

I had Kwikfit come round this morning to change 2 tires. I had him put the rears on the front and the new ones on the back.

Just done a pressure check on the tires and then started the car up and set the TPM. I then started to roll off the drive when alarms went off and warning lights appeared.

I flicked the head unit over to the Vehicle Report screen and I saw this.

Error: stabilisation control (ESC)

Error: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

I drove about half a mile down the road to a carpark and as I drove in the errors disappeared.

I parked up and turned the car off, waited for a bit and then turned the car back on. As soon as I did I received a quick flash of an error with the Start/Stop, follow by the 2 errors as above.
I Must of drove about 200 meters from the car park and the errors disappeared again.

Any ideas as to what's happened?

Not sure, but a colleague had this a couple of days ago with a Golf GTE. Tyre fitter said the car 'wouldn't let him' reset the TPMS for some reason. Then, when he got back in and went to drive off, he had multiple error warnings - hill hold assist, ACC, TPMS, ESC, ASR etc. 

Drove it half a mile, switched off and back on, been ok ever since. 

I do wonder if rotating the wheels with the car jacked up freaks something out?! Would've thought that the ignition would have to be on for the sensors to detect anything.

Strange :wondering:

If that is the case then I wonder if its more related to the front wheels being rotated? I only say that because last year I had one of the rear tires repaired due to a slow puncture. I remember the guy having a good spin on that one.
Never had an issue driving out of there.... then again, I didn't try setting the TPM.... Add to dictionary....

Hoes does the car actually monitor the tire pressure? I only ask because the tires were change on the drive and my drive is on a slope. Just wondering if I need to put it on flat road and then try setting it again.

The tyre pressure is not monitored as such, but it picks up a change in rotational diameter of the tyre. 

Not to be ignored once set as it gave me fair warning of a deflating tyre when in lane three of the M5!

• Like 2

My AAC is reporting an error and turning off at present.  Service next week.  When I rang to report it I was asked if I'd had the tracking adjusted by a tyre shop as changing the tracking will make the AAC malfunction. I haven't.  Made me wonder about the problems having new tyres will cause. 

It dépends how steep your driveway is but I'd suggest checking the pressures on a flat surface & resetting the system again.

Normally the TPMS doesnt trigger a ESC error as well so its prehaps as the other suggest that the wheels were changed or rotated whilst the ignition was on.

Is it not possible to 'reset' the tyre pressure monitors in the 'Car' menu of the radio?

We had issues in the Leon after getting new tyres, it has a tyre pressure button that you hold down and it resets to the new pressures.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gabbo said:

It dépends how steep your driveway is but I'd suggest checking the pressures on a flat surface & resetting the system again.

Normally the TPMS doesnt trigger a ESC error as well so its prehaps as the other suggest that the wheels were changed or rotated whilst the ignition was on.

Makes no odds to your pressures even if the tyres are not on the car.

This was discussed a while ago and confirmed that pressures measured were the same on, or off the car, so a slope on the drive will not make a difference.

I'm having problems with my TPMS too, and Skoda says everything is fine!

I've started to record every alarm i get!

TPMS ALARM triggered:

5/2 2017 - Checked tire pressure, tire pressure ok
9/2 2017 - Checked tire pressure, tire pressure ok
18/2 2017 - Checked tire pressure, tire pressure ok
23/2 2017 - Checked tire pressure, tire pressure ok
24/2 2017 - Checked tire pressure, tire pressure ok

Sure, everything is fine!

Edited by Oxboll

I would have thought that when you reset the TPMS nothing actually changes straight away till you go for a drive, then over the next journey it starts to store the new rolling diameter of each wheel over the first mile or so and then stores that data.

• Like 1

Interesting page on it here:

http://www.my-gti.com/321/volkswagen-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-tpms

For the system to operate you must “set” the system after you have pumped up the tyres to the correct values, press the TPMS button (has an exclamation mark on it) until a beep is heard. At this point the system is in learn mode and depending on how straight the road is will learn the tyre parameters over the next few hours (generally 5-15 minutes before the system will trigger).

• Like 1

Ironic or what?  I post on this topic on Saturday afternoon, then on a long journey this morning I get the warning.  I slow down and head for the nearest motorway services.  Tyres checked and they are all fine, I reset the TPMS and it didn't repeat the warning on the rest of the journey.

On arrival at my destination I checked and again no problem - ghost in the machine?