DSG start Stop System

Expatman

Waiting delivery of my new Yeti 1.2 Tsi DSG with stop/start. I understand that the car has various sensors to decide whether to activate the stop/start system but I wondered if anyone knew whether that included turbo sensors? I can envisage a high speed run on a motorway then coming to an abrupt halt in a traffic jam. The advice with turbo's is to keep the engine running for 3-4 minutes after a high speed run to allow the oil to cool the turbo, otherwise you risk carbonising the oil in the turbo with eventual expensive deadly results for the turbo. Question is whether the stop/start has sensors to detect the heat in the turbo and to delay switching the engine off until it has cooled sufficiently. 

Hoping that someone with a DSG has experienced this and can tell me whether the switch off is delayed after a high speed stop.

23 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Waiting delivery of my new Yeti 1.2 Tsi DSG with stop/start. I understand that the car has various sensors to decide whether to activate the stop/start system but I wondered if anyone knew whether that included turbo sensors? I can envisage a high speed run on a motorway then coming to an abrupt halt in a traffic jam. The advice with turbo's is to keep the engine running for 3-4 minutes after a high speed run to allow the oil to cool the turbo, otherwise you risk carbonising the oil in the turbo with eventual expensive deadly results for the turbo. Question is whether the stop/start has sensors to detect the heat in the turbo and to delay switching the engine off until it has cooled sufficiently. 

Hoping that someone with a DSG has experienced this and can tell me whether the switch off is delayed after a high speed stop.

That used to be the advice, but i haven't seen it stated for years.

Not that you are that likely to be running any vehicle on UK or even Continental Europe roads that it will be an issue, 

but the German Companies Engineers have allowed for the petrol TSI's being used and then stopping and there is Cooling Fans that will come on to cool the radiator coolant and a water pump that will pump coolant, and then the specification of oil used for the protection of the engine and turbo.

Edited by Awayoffski

I believe the 1.2 TSI has an auxiliary water pump that can run even when the engine is off.

The turbo is cooled by water as well as oil so that it can be cooled when the engine is switched off.

So they've thought of that problem don't worry.

I have a 1.6 TDi DSG Octavia with Stop Start.

If it detects that it can't Stop Start (eg. it is warming up, cooling down, DPF regen, too many aux consumers are running and it hasn't enough charge etc.) then it simply won't, you'll just stop at a regular idle (or perhaps a little higher - 1000rpm or so) and a little crossed out 'A' icon appears on the maxidot.

I had a lot of aggro with the system initially but it seems to put on its sensible head on

once it is hot. I drove M5 for an hour then straight into the heart of the town from the

motorway and had none of the problems that worry you. Relax drive it, smile!

27 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Thanks, but can anyone with a 1.2 Tsi DSG answer my original question?

It is a non-question a bit like "when did you stop beating your wife?". There is no specific turbo sensor that inhibits auto-stop, because a hot turbo is not a reason to inhibit stopping the engine. The auxiliary coolant pump continues to circulate the coolant for a while, including through the turbo, after a hot engine is stopped.

Okay, the advice from Skoda has always been to idle the engine for a couple of minutes after a high speed run to cool the turbo to prevent the oil in the feed pipe carbonising and, over time, reducing oil flow to the turbo. My 2012 Yeti 1.2 Tsi DSG certainly has that advice in manual and from Skoda technicians. However if latest models have addressed that problem then great.

12 minutes ago, Tilt said:

Would the DSG part of your question even be relevant to your question???

Not sure myself, but I think not???

With the latest 1.2 DSG when you apply the brake fully at, for example, traffic lights the Start/Stop operates. So what happens if you've just done 100 plus miles on a motorway and you come off the slip road and hit a set of lights. Will the Start/Stop operate and switch off the engine or will the brains of the car think 'hang on the turbo needs time to cool before I switch off the engine'?

On non DSG cars you typically have more control over Start Stop activation as you have to apply handbrake > select neutral > remove foot from clutch. An operation that requires a conscious effort.

• Like 1

Can anyone point out which page in a Yeti manual advises on letting the TSI engines idle for a couple of minutes after a high speed run because i am looking in a Yeti Owners manual from 2009 and a Fabia from 2010 and not found that?

Edited by Awayoffski

2 hours ago, Expatman said:

Okay, the advice from Skoda has always been to idle the engine for a couple of minutes after a high speed run to cool the turbo to prevent the oil in the feed pipe carbonising and, over time, reducing oil flow to the turbo. My 2012 Yeti 1.2 Tsi DSG certainly has that advice in manual and from Skoda technicians. However if latest models have addressed that problem then great.

Sorry, but I have never seen that advice from Skoda, either on my old 2010 model or the current one.

I've just trawled through my e-copy of the April 2012 Owner's Manual to find it - and it's not there!  Nevertheless, I think I absorbed the principle of not killing a hot motor while I was learning to drive behind that chap with the red flag.  Just habit now, might not help but it can't hurt. 

3 hours ago, SimonVespa said:

On non DSG cars you typically have more control over Start Stop activation as you have to apply handbrake > select neutral > remove foot from clutch. An operation that requires a conscious effort.

My 2016 1.2Tsi manual does not need the handbrake to be applied - I wish it did.

Just now, Hosepipe99 said:

My 2016 1.2Tsi manual does not need the handbrake to be applied - I wish it did.

Do you need to put it in neutral and release the brake? I was basing my comments on my experience with the Qashqai - the only other car I have had with Start Stop. Given the choice I probably wouldn't bother having it. Cant see that it really saves that much in terms of fuel - probably just another 'cheat' to improve the MPG and emissions figures.

No, just foot off clutch, which of course means in neutral. If the DSG works the same as my daughter's Smart car then that is much better, only a firm press on the brake will activate the stop. I have got used to the start-stop but I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Where does that advice appear in the manual?

1 hour ago, Brijo said:

I've just trawled through my e-copy of the April 2012 Owner's Manual to find it - and it's not there!  Nevertheless, I think I absorbed the principle of not killing a hot motor while I was learning to drive behind that chap with the red flag.  Just habit now, might not help but it can't hurt. 

Sorry guys, just checked and not in manual - put it down to age! Advice from chap with red flag and from Honest John website. Apparently there have been cases where the oil feed pipe to turbo gets blocked by carbonised oil causing premature turbo failure. If engine switched off immediately after high speed running then oil sits in pipe and is carbonised by hot turbo. It makes sense to me because turbos run at very, very high temperatures. I would rather be safe and let things cool a little after high speed running.

• Like 1

Cruising at 70+ for an hour or so then pulling into a motorway service station means the turbo will be cooking nicely, a few minutes idling just let's it come off the boil.

• Like 2

That was how it used to be, but bringing your speed down as you are exiting the motorway and then in to the parking and switching off will 

have the fans on cooling the radiator / coolant so the engine that has stopped and coolant pumping around the engine bringing down the temp nicely.

If the weather is scorchio or you have a dark bonnet you could pop the bonnet obviously and let some heat out, reduce the heat soak before that next 75 mph thrash.

Coolant around about 92*oC to keep trying to bring that 'Cooking hot' oil at maybe 100*-110*oC oil back down to the 90's.

Edited by Awayoffski