Rim protection

Does anyone have a photo of their Gemini's with Goodyear F1A3 fitted?

I want to replace my Bridgestones with something quieter, but i'm concerned about the supposed lack of rim protection on the Goodyears.

Thanks in advance.

Had a set fitted last week after having F1 A2s... so disappointed at the total lack of rim protection on the A3s... basically none!

I'll try and get some photos in the morning for you.

Edited by jobsworth

So, your gonna save a tenner a corner to risk kirbing your wheels on a tyre with sub standard grip.

Yeah really smart

Care to elaborate? I haven't read a review that says the Goodyears are substandard in grip.

I want to replace my noisy and pretty poor Bridgestones with something that is quieter, and by all accounts the F1A3 are a cracking tyre.

The fact that they are also a good price isn't relevant.

An alternative is maybe the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, but their noise rating is much higher.

Maybe you could help me out and suggest a tyre that is quiet and has good grip (in your opinion that is).

Edited by andyh41

I've never had the F1A3 on my car but, down the Meon Hut meet a 260bhp Mk1 vRS has them and the owner says their ****, he drives a Suzuki Swift for a day car. Thats the kinda review I take notice of.

As for a tyre that is both quiet and gives great grip, you won't find it, its a compromise. For fast and accurate turn-in you need stiffer sidewalls with, the rubber compound and tread patterns for dispersing rainwater from a performance tyre you'd be lucky to get sub70db.

66/67db is always gonna compromise performance but, thats where you'll really notice the difference, far better to buy performance tyres and soundproof matting for the boot which is where most of the noise is transmitted from.

But, its upto you obviously

Just go on camskill and look for tyres with rim protection.

Peronally I have RS3, they are good tyres.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p111670/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_225_40_R18_92Y_XL_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_72dB

FR is flanged rim.

I don't think you can blame the tyre all the time for no or little rim protection, the shape of the rim could be to blame as well.

Some tyres will protect rims better than others.

The Pirellies Zero's on my 19" Extremes don't seem to offer much protection but on other wheels they might be better

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Yes, you're right, compromise is where it's at.

I guess i'm looking for tyres more biased to refinement than performance, but that is totally subjective.

However, any first hand experience on this forum is as relevant as it can be, so thank you all for your comments.

According to the tyre labels for the F1A3 the tyre has MFS (Max Flange Shield) protection whereas the Potenza's appear to have none, I have had F1 tryes in the past which were of the V tread type and had then taken off with full tread still on them being the worst tyres I have ever driven, they felt so soft that they felt like i was driving on beach balls, not touched F1's since so things might be better now. I have however driven on tyres with 67db noise figure on my old 3.2 vectra with no issues, these were Sava Intensa UHP, manufactured in the same factory in Slovenia as many other brands includeding Goodyear . They were quiet and the car handled far better than on the F1's. You pays your money and take your chances, many on here have reccommended the F1 A3's so I cant see them being so bad. Other brands are available.

I just wondered maybe about the tire coating / new tyre slime ? You know you gotta bed the tyres in dude hundred miles or so before they stick properly.

I had Goodyear F1A3s fitted to the front five thousand miles ago and they are much better than the OE fitment Bridgestones in every respect.

Not a huge amount of rim protection but I am very careful around kerbs and have sustained no wheel damage from potholes so far.

1 minute ago, jobsworth said:

No problem at all with the grip with the Goodyear F1A3s

They come out in the top 5 in one review.http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/91864/goodyear-eagle-f1-asymmetric-3-review

As I said before the rim protection in no where near as good as the F2s.

IMG_4198.JPG

IMG_4199.JPG

Damn my wheels need a clean!!!! 

That looks like the opposite of rim protection on the F1's

I must get a look of my RS3's, whilst they aren't the huge porsche rim bump they are certainly better than that I'm sure where the rim is more prominent than the tyre itself.

38 minutes ago, vRSAnt said:

That looks like the opposite of rim protection on the F1's

I must get a look of my RS3's, whilst they aren't the huge porsche rim bump they are certainly better than that I'm sure where the rim is more prominent than the tyre itself.

The F1A2s had much more protection on them than the A3s. I had to check the right tyres had been put one, most disappointed 

The RS3's are not as bad as the F1's - seem like its about on level with the rubber - but I think the design of the alloy may be part at fault here with the pronounced rim perhaps ?

They are about level which is a bit annoying, not really offering a lot of rim protection but looks a lot less likely to be immediately touching alloy than the above !

This is a thread on them on the SAAB and looks like the alloy design is more subtle and offering far better protection than on mine.

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130970&start=20

Hence the search for the perfect rim protection would be worth continuing. RS3 better than above but nothing to shout about

21 hours ago, vRSAnt said:

I just wondered maybe about the tire coating / new tyre slime ? You know you gotta bed the tyres in dude hundred miles or so before they stick properly.

Wasn't a grip problem, it was just that they felt like they were squirming all over the road, following every rut and ripple in it.

"Squirming" over the road does indeed sound like a grip problem and sounds exactly like the problem of the coating on the tyres, which will take a few hunded miles to dissipate

I wouldn't try and evaluate any tyre until you've properly bedded them in which is immediately what caught my attention of your post saying you took them off with full tread. I'd have left them on longer to bed in and see what happened.

Sounds like you haven't come across this requirement ?

Its more common place in motorcycling, guys don't don't respect the running in of tyres on 2 wheels with far too much throttle end up in the gutter outside the place they had them fitted :D Not supposed to be of amusement to the shops that fit them, but I'm sure its hard to stiffle.

Car drivers have less BHP and less attention needed (e.g. keeping up/stable) so I guess its deemed less important, but the problem is still there.

http://www.milestonesgarage.co.uk/motoring-blog/how-safely-run-your-new-tyres

"Your new tyres should be ready to give you maximum grip and performance after 150 to 200 miles.

The tyres will have abraded and the slippery silicone agent used to release the tyres in the moulding process will have worn off."

Never mind, expensive lesson in how tyres are produced I guess :D

• Like 1