New Puppy

Mikek3111

Hey guys,

just got an 8 week old GSD. I've had dogs before and have mainly been Staffies. Although I've been driving for years this is the first time I've had the need to take the dogs in the car.  Being so young she's understandably nervous and in a few short trips we have made in the car she dribbles all over the place and has vomited.

my questions are does anyone have any tips and tricks when taking puppy out in the car?

can I legally transport her in the passenger footwell instead of the boot?

is it just a case of perseverance?

i'll post a picture later as I'm on iPad and pics are on phone.

cheers guys 

Mike

The worst thing you can do Mike, is fuss her whilst she is in this nervous state of mind. You can talk to her to reassure her but being confident in your voice and actions rather than showing sympathy.

A lot (I would say most) of people do not understand that showing sympathy or fussing whilst the animal is nervous / worried, or the like - actually encourages this behaviour even more.

No disrespect to the species but women are terrible with this, but cuddling the animal is a no no in these situations. (Watch the 'Dog Whisperer' on pick iirc.)

I'm sorry that I have no tips at present but would like to say if you allow her to travel in the front with you I would  assume ???? for one it would be illegal, but more to the point - likely a huge distraction to you whilst driving.

I have Barney, a staffie, and whilst he desperately wants to get in the front of the car with me (he would sit on my lap if I let him) he is now used to getting in the rear (not boot / and still probably illegal) and your girl will get used to whichever you choose is best for you.

I think perseverance and you will find things that help with a little more time.

good luck with her.

I'm no 'expert' but it might be worth trying her in the boot without actually going anywhere while you talk to her and she can play with a favourite toy, that was she may feel happier about being in the boot while travelling.

Also worth considering, she may just get motion sickness just like some people do.

My wife is not a good traveller, and if its a bumpy road it can really churn her stomach upside down.

• Like 1

I always thought that about comforting a dog that is fearful, but after reading some great articles from some very good dog trainers it's not the case, you cannot reinforce a fear/emotion. 

Dog riding in the front isnt an issue, Vinnie always rides up front with me. 

If you're on Facebook I can link you to a great page that offers professional advice. A similar post was made recently, generally the replies were that many puppies grow out of it and if the car trips are not needed to be made, build it up slowly, start just sitting in the car with them for a bit, then a short drive for a min or two then build it up very slowly. 

probably just a practice thing.Most dogs love going in the car usually because there is something nice at the end of the trip. So maybe make sure she gets some play time and treats at the start and end of the journey then she'll associate the car with good things.

Some people advocate a cage in the boot as the safest way to transport a dog. My folks had one for a few years but don't bother now.

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:18, Mikek3111 said:

Hey guys,

just got an 8 week old GSD. I've had dogs before and have mainly been Staffies. Although I've been driving for years this is the first time I've had the need to take the dogs in the car.  Being so young she's understandably nervous and in a few short trips we have made in the car she dribbles all over the place and has vomited.

my questions are does anyone have any tips and tricks when taking puppy out in the car?

can I legally transport her in the passenger footwell instead of the boot?

is it just a case of perseverance?

i'll post a picture later as I'm on iPad and pics are on phone.

cheers guys 

Mike

We used to have two Huskies who refused to sit or lie in the boot. So their place was the rear seat..........suitably strapped in.  We also had a friends husky puppy once in the back. If she only dribbled I'd have been pleased. Let's just say that the vetbed had to be binned & the car given a good dose of Fabreeze!

The pooch has to be happy & comfortable in the car. We used waterproof padded covers with vet bed on top of that. Sitting the dog in the car while not moving can help. Just sit there and let the dog settle. Once that's been done a few times then try short journeys. Get out of the car then & make a fuss of the dog. Go for a short walk or a little play. Pooch has to associate the car with something that leads to a happy experience.

One of our Huskies was actually happy in the rear footwell when she was a pup. She went there voluntarily however as I think that it reminded her of her bed. I wouldn't force a pooch down there though.

Some dogs though just aint happy in the car........EVER.:o Best of luck with the new dog. They are great aren't they.

Dogs can get travel sick, just like humans. Might help if she can see out. A dog booster seat is good for this and they usually have a secure harness point for the dog. Start with short trips. try and ignore her behaviour during the journey. But reward/make fuss of her when she gets out of the car at the other end, when it builds an association -she'll be looking forward to the fuss and treat at the end of the journey, rather than focusing on the journey. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, matt1chelski said:

I always thought that about comforting a dog that is fearful, but after reading some great articles from some very good dog trainers it's not the case, you cannot reinforce a fear/emotion. 

Dog riding in the front isnt an issue, Vinnie always rides up front with me. 

Sorry matt, but I couldn't disagree with them "very good dog trainers" more, about comforting a fearful dog.

I have seen too many instances of it having a negative effect on dogs, some on tv programs, but a fair few in real life situations including a few instances of small dogs eventually biting their owners.

Rewarding, by comforting, unwanted behaviour does reinforce or encourage this behaviour pattern. And it will get worse.

Rewarding encourages any behaviour, good or bad. (bad meaning unwanted in this case).

And in a few months time this German Shepherd puppy will be about three times the size it is now. I do not think It advisable to have it get used to travelling in the passenger seat. Back seat would be much more preferable.

1 hour ago, Tilt said:

Sorry matt, but I couldn't disagree with them "very good dog trainers" more, about comforting a fearful dog.

Fair enough, I cant take anyone who suggests Cesar Millan (and his outdated methods) as a resource for dog training seriously, assuming thats 'the dog whisperer' you're referring to. 

Good point about the size of the GSD though, my Boston isn't quite such a big lump!

Edited by matt1chelski

My GSD had the same problem as a pup, I didn't change anything, just kept taking him out in the boot and eventually he got use to it. Completely different to my lab who did a 4 hour road trip when I first picked him up and he's never had a problem. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, matt1chelski said:

Fair enough, I cant take anyone who suggests Cesar Millan (and his outdated methods) as a resource for dog training seriously, assuming thats 'the dog whisperer' you're referring to. 

Good point about the size of the GSD though, my Boston isn't quite such a big lump!

But these "very good dog trainers" would be amongst the first people to agree to treat good (or wanted) behaviour, and ignore bad (or unwanted) behaviour, *so if they said that fear/emotion cannot be reinforced - or encouraged as I would put it - then they are contradicting themselves imo.

Treating, as I'm sure you know is food and praise/love/comfort.

*If you comfort the dog in this situation, then you are treating rather than ignoring this unwanted behaviour which will only encourage it further.

We are obviously both (all, for that matter) passionate about our animals. I would be interested to know why you think Cesar Millan's methods are outdated?.......................Glad you saw my point about the size to be, of the dog.

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 1

I did what was mentioned above with my staffy when she was a pup, open the boot and put a blanket and toys in there and just left her to go in and out. I would never consider putting a dog in the foot well or on the seats. A friend of mine had her staffy on the back seat when she was in a crash, not only did the staffy end up bouncing down the road but it had flattened the front passenger seat on its way through the windscreen :(

3 hours ago, Tilt said:

But these "very good dog trainers" would be amongst the first people to agree to treat good (or wanted) behaviour, and ignore bad (or unwanted) behaviour, *so if they said that fear/emotion cannot be reinforced - or encouraged as I would put it - then they are contradicting themselves imo.

Treating, as I'm sure you know is food and praise/love/comfort.

*If you comfort the dog in this situation, then you are treating rather than ignoring this unwanted behaviour which will only encourage it further.

We are obviously both (all, for that matter) passionate about our animals. I would be interested to know why you think Cesar Millan's methods are outdated?.......................Glad you saw my point about the size to be, of the dog.

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/you-cant-reinforce-fear-dogs-and-thunderstorms

Here’s the example for you of how hard it is to “reinforce” fear. What if someone tried break into your home in the middle of the night? Let’s say they did, and after the intruder left, a friend or loved one sat down with you on the couch, brought you tea and gave you a hug. Would the tea and sympathy make you more likely to be afraid if it happened again the next night? Of course not.

Ceser, I've not watched for a long time, but last time I did he was still rolling out the old 'You need to be the alpha in the pack' line, using punishment (sometimes physical) as a method of training along with claiming numerous dogs which were stressed out, fearful dogs as 'calm'. The guy was banned from training dogs at a show in Germany iirc after failing to pass a basic test and the RSPCA have condemned his methods. 

Dogs are far smarter than we often give them credit for, a dog isnt going to think because they're being supported in a time of fear they should be more scared of something no more than they think they need to dominate me and be the 'alpha' of our house/pack/family or whatever. 

I didnt mean to come across arsey in my last post Tilt, we all have our opinions. :thumbup:

3 hours ago, kit said:

I did what was mentioned above with my staffy when she was a pup, open the boot and put a blanket and toys in there and just left her to go in and out. I would never consider putting a dog in the foot well or on the seats. A friend of mine had her staffy on the back seat when she was in a crash, not only did the staffy end up bouncing down the road but it had flattened the front passenger seat on its way through the windscreen :(

Dont get me wrong, I'd never have my dog running free in the car, he always has his harness on and is secure.

14 minutes ago, matt1chelski said:

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/you-cant-reinforce-fear-dogs-and-thunderstorms

I haven't looked at the link yet matt, but am assuming the quote comes from that, and that quote just makes me laugh (not at you but at the author). It is about how people think and behave (or associate), and dogs do not associate in the same way at all.

Ceser, I've not watched for a long time, but last time I did he was still rolling out the old 'You need to be the alpha in the pack' line, using punishment (sometimes physical) as a method of training along with claiming numerous dogs which were stressed out, fearful dogs as 'calm'. The guy was banned from training dogs at a show in Germany iirc after failing to pass a basic test and the RSPCA have condemned his methods. I have only seen him on tv, but where other trainers have failed, sometimes a few of them, he has produced positive results, to many owners dismay. I have never seen him using physical punishment - must have missed that - his usual "no touch, no talk, no eye contact", has worked in situations for me. and on Wiki even the American Humane Society kind of admitted they were wrong about dissing his methods.

Dogs are far smarter than we often give them credit for(agreed), a dog isnt going to think because they're being supported in a time of fear they should be more scared of something* (sorry, but totally disagree) no more than they think they need to dominate me and be the 'alpha' of our house/pack/family or whatever. (and some dogs do need to be shown who is boss, and to respect your decisions***).

I didnt mean to come across arsey in my last post Tilt, we all have our opinions. :thumbup:

Didn't think you were being arsey at all bud, I was trying not to come across that way either.

* Guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one matt.

***I think this totally depends on your own dogs personality, and what the animal has had to endure in life.

If happy go lucky (I suspect like your dog) and never been attacked then yes, you will not need to show them who is boss however this is likely that they already accept you are their boss and they respect you. That is if they are well behaved.

If, on the other hand you have an animal that thinks they are the boss (like Barney did, - he was rescued half way through his life) then you (I) had to show him that I am the boss and he does as he is told when necessary. It's about your own confidence, tone of voice and patience.

The be all and end all of this is to keep him out of trouble, and out of fights, whilst being able to meet other dogs on their own terms.

Re - Cesar, and the RSPCA and other animal shelters and trainers, I have never seen ANY of them (except Cesar) address the issue of aggression in dogs, which is possibly what he is best at. :)

1 hour ago, matt1chelski said:

Dont get me wrong, I'd never have my dog running free in the car, he always has his harness on and is secure.

Wasn't meaning you Matt, was about a point the OP asked saying can I transport puppy in the foot well.

My lab has always been fine in the car. I've always used a dog guard and a seat belt clip to secure her in the car and it works fine.

Just remember that if using the front seat, switch off the airbag. The shock and force is a killer.

The highway code states that 'When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.' as long as you follow that you should be fine.

On 11/03/2017 at 15:11, punyXpress said:

If you've got a secure garden, try putting her in the boot and leave it open. leave an old rug there, so she associates the place as 'hers'

in boot with car in garden - GREAT.

BUT- PLEASE - NEVER whilst out on road. A car is a safety cage, with the boot as a sacrificial area. ASK- would you put a kid in there ,knowing that it could be injured ?

I've been in an accident with a dog in boot- it suffered for weeks whilst the vet worked out WHY. It had damage to the liver. Caused by shunt.

SIMPLE- DO NOT DO IT

Might be an idea with a dog nervous of car to put it in car and take it for short drives ,slowly. Some dogs just get in there and are OK-others need to get acclimatised.

Edited by VWD

Our french bulldog sits on the back seat with his harness on strapped in.

He was initially very fearful of the car but just kept going out to the car and sitting on the back seat with him playing, giving toys and chews etc. Then sat with the engine running and I moved to the front seat and then going for short drives etc.

He now likes getting in and sits quite happily there. He likes having the roof down too. Then when he's tired he just lies down under the wind deflector and sleeps.

Glad to hear you got him Phil-E......your post just stopped and I thought something had happened that stopped you having him.