Front windows

Just been stopped by the police, and after a test I've been told my drivers and passenger front windows are tinted illegally. They were like that when I bought it, and I was assured they were legal. 

Not had a proper look at them, but it doesn't look like it's just a film, and the officer thought I'd likely need to buy new glasses. Getting a tinter to look at them this weekend, but are VRS windows the same as standard Mk1 glasses? 

Hi,

Just checked on ETKA, the standard glass fitted can be either clear or green tint. Mine had green tints all round from new.

If you go to this website :- https://vindecoderz.com and put your vin number in, (can be seen in the small window cutout on your windscreen, passenger side), it will tell you the build spec' for your car.

Edited by Silver Bullet

The front windscreen and door glass come with a tint on from factory and have to let 70% of the light through. The rest of the glass can be as dark as you like. 

1 hour ago, simspj said:

The front windscreen and door glass come with a tint on from factory and have to let 70% of the light through. The rest of the glass can be as dark as you like. 

Windscreen is 75%, drivers and passengers front windows are 70%, rear windows can be as dark as you like. 

Three points per window, £100 fine per window, and the police inform your insurance company who'll void the policy in an accident. 

This is what the officers told me. Since I was unaware it was an illegal tint and hadn't done it myself they allowed me a few days to sort it out, if it had been below 30% visibility they would've hit me with 6pts and a £200 fine. 

Not really worth having any tint on your front windows. Best bit is I left my car idling, one of them thought the exhaust was blowing and revved it perfectly for my CAI and Dump valve to make the delicious dump noise. My heart skipped a beat incase that was also something illegal