Favourite Kit

CWARD

Having just seen CFB's post in another thread about ordering gloves I thought about my recent purchases and some of my favourite kit knowing that people will be looking at buying or replacing their own around now.

After getting a proper drenching at last years RTTW, and I mean proper wet right down to my boxers, I upgraded a lot of my gear. I ride an adventure bike so my kit is as such

Gloves - Knox Covert. Fits and feels like a slightly thick summer glove but manages to keep you hands just at the right temperature regardless of it being warm (not tested in hot weather yet, we've not had any) or cold. Even wet the stay warm and don't absorb much water either so dry out quickly too. Also one of the few makes of gloves that fit my hands without flappy fingers.

I also have my Alpinestar M1 Monster leather gloves. They clash colour wise with all my other kit but fit me like no other glove, a real second skin but they are just a summer glove and now on their last year. Don't think they make them anymore so will be hard to replace.   

Helmets - I mainly use an Arai TourX-4 which has huge amounts of ventilation and fits my head just right. If the weather is too cold I have a Schuberth S2 Sport which has got to be one of the plushest and best helmets on the market. It is probably a better helmet than my Arai but can't match the open air feeling of it. 

Jacket - Klim Badlands. I'm a textile guy as I'd look like a telly tubby in leather. This jacket is nice and roomy, plenty of vents and large pockets. D3O armour including chest but with a built kidney belt feels light on your body.  Goretex Pro ensures you stay dry and the fit is perfect.

Trousers -  Klim Overland.  More Goretex and D30 armour but fit like a comfy pair of jeans. Speaking of jeans JTS Warrior kevlar jeans which have been much better than the Draggin Jeans I had before. 

Boots -  Forma Adventure low for being waterproof, motorcross boot levels of protection and all comfort. 

Other bits I always carry in the bike are a side stand puck on a plastic coil spring so you be on the bike, flip the stand up and puck will spring up into your hand ready to pocketed. Incredibly simple idea that once I'd seen it after struggling myself to get on my bike in slippery field I knew I had to copy it. Shift It visor cleaner as my OCD doesn't allow for dead bugs on my helmet. 

Security - at home Torc Series 2 ground anchor and Almax 16mm chain with Squire SS65CS lock. This bolt cropper proof and takes a long while to cut through with a disc but each link is the size of coke can so not very portable. I also have my Luma Solid lock and chain which is no where near as tough as the Almax I can take it with me for longer trips and the lock doubles as a disc lock.

I also help out the elderly neighbours and in return they are more nosey and fierce than any dog would be to anyone hanging around my house just ask the Amazon delivery man trying to leave parcels behind the house. 

Let us know what your favourite kit is and why.

1 hour ago, CWARD said:

Jacket - Klim Badlands. I'm a textile guy as I'd look like a telly tubby in leather. This jacket is nice and roomy, plenty of vents and large pockets. D3O armour including chest but with a built kidney belt feels light on your body.  Goretex Pro ensures you stay dry and the fit is perfect.

Trousers -  Klim Overland.  More Goretex and D30 armour but fit like a comfy pair of jeans.

As a window shopper of bike clothing I'm interested by your choice. Seen very few reviews about Klim and what I have is in America (not a surprise as American company) but most reviews I read Europe based buy Rukka/rev'it/alpinestars etc instead.

just fancy something different or something else?

thanks,

tom

I hadn't previously heard of Klim and as you've said well known in the states and until recently that was your only way to get it. Now you have a few dealers over here stocking the full range. 

I've always liked Alpinestar and had a few pairs of their gloves and boots but their clothing never fitted right. Rev'it jackets fitted but the trousers seemed to be designed for people with incredibley skinny legs. 

I was wearing Held clothing before which was good value and very well made but it was the same design as the others above and BMW's too in that it used liners to achieve water proofing which means the outer would be soaked and heavy with what it absorbed. The inner would be dry but due to gaps between cuffs and hems to the liner would allow water to wick up your base layers which chills your core and forearms quickly. The jackets and trousers would then take ages to dry out. This doesn't include the faff of having to insert or remove the liners as well. 

I looked at plenty of reviews mainly on Adv Rider and KTM forum. The two that kept coming up as the best were Klim and Rukka which don't use waterproof liners.  Rukka had plenty of complaints about lack of ventilation and most agreed for pure road riding the Rukka would be best but hot in the summer. The Klim Badlands were held in high regards by all being a waterproof outer, loads of ventilation, pockets galore - also waterproof and top build quality which some had complained about with Rukka in recent years compared to their previous products. That was the decision made and no regrets. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CWARD said:

I hadn't previously heard of Klim and as you've said well known in the states and until recently that was your only way to get it. Now you have a few dealers over here stocking the full range. 

I've always liked Alpinestar and had a few pairs of their gloves and boots but their clothing never fitted right. Rev'it jackets fitted but the trousers seemed to be designed for people with incredibley skinny legs. 

I was wearing Held clothing before which was good value and very well made but it was the same design as the others above and BMW's too in that it used liners to achieve water proofing which means the outer would be soaked and heavy with what it absorbed. The inner would be dry but due to gaps between cuffs and hems to the liner would allow water to wick up your base layers which chills your core and forearms quickly. The jackets and trousers would then take ages to dry out. This doesn't include the faff of having to insert or remove the liners as well. 

I looked at plenty of reviews mainly on Adv Rider and KTM forum. The two that kept coming up as the best were Klim and Rukka which don't use waterproof liners.  Rukka had plenty of complaints about lack of ventilation and most agreed for pure road riding the Rukka would be best but hot in the summer. The Klim Badlands were held in high regards by all being a waterproof outer, loads of ventilation, pockets galore - also waterproof and top build quality which some had complained about with Rukka in recent years compared to their previous products. That was the decision made and no regrets. 

Cheers :-)

its always fun window shopping but I do like looking at stuff that real people have actually tried and tested.

It was quite scary spending that type of money on jacket and trousers but thinking about what I'd spent previously then replaced, I would have been better buying the right gear from the start. 

Nobbi, I used to wear Shark helmets in the mid 90's and found them to be great. I had a break from bikes and went to buy a new helmet going for Shark again but couldn't get one to fit right. Not sure if my head shape has changed or they changed theirs, either way it's annoying as I know I can only look now as touching only leads to disappointment. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tomote said:

its always fun window shopping but I do like looking at stuff that real people have actually tried and tested.

It was this review from a guy riding similar to myself and wanting the same goal from the clothing that made my mind up to go for the Klim Badlands. 

http://www.roadtrooper.com/motorcycle-touring-suits-review-klim-badlands-pro-co/ 

• Like 1

Klim seem to be the brand of the moment.

I went to the adventure and overland event at the Ace yesterday, it was everywhere.

Three of my mates have recently changed to it.

The thing I like is that water doesn't soak in, but just runs off it.

My Hein Gericke is great but gets very heavy when wet.

Cant remember the names though.

Gloves, HG thick and Gortex but not very warm, the reason to change.

boots Sidi black rain.

It's now 12 years old and still waterproof so I'm not going to change it yet as I can't justify the cost, considering the lack of miles I now do.

Summer kit consists of HG air2 jacket and troos with the Cool black coating. Work very well but I had to put Velcro tabs on the cuffs and ankles to stop them riding up. It cuts airflow a bit but is more comfortable. If it gets really hot I undo and put up with it.

Same boots and a pair of HG Gortex summer gloves which aren't waterproof any more.

Summer waterproofs are OZ. Very light and fold down really small so fit easily under the seat.

• Like 1

CFB, you've just reminded me of a Hein Gericke summer mesh jacket I have. It must be 15 years + by now, it has some horrible winged design on the back but it is great on the hottest of days riding around town as it feels like you're wearing just a t-shirt to ride in but still have armour in the elbows, shoulders and back.  I wouldn't want to use it high speed but for pottering around in stop start traffic it is can't be beaten, well unless they did one without the horrible design on the back.

As it seems to have shrunk over the years, I've not got fatter, I really should think about getting a replacement such as the Klim Induction but at nearly £300 new I will have to keep my eyes peeled for a second hand one for the rare days that qualify as hot in the UK. 

• Like 1

Daily Kit

Lid - Shoei Neotec Helmet

One of the best Flipups available, quite and comfortable and hides the fact it's a flipup pretty well. I'm not especially into FlipUps but it makes it easier in some fuel stations. Also the Ear pods in the Neotec are perfect for the speakers as they line them up with your ear and you can't feel they are fitted.

Jacket - BMW Streetguard (New Version)

Got it free off BMW and to be fair, it's a fantastic all season jacket, warm, waterproof, outstanding protection and good ventilation. Previously had a Klim Badlands Pro, which is an amazing bit of kit, but wasn't quite right fit wise on the K16 or the 9T (Brilliant when I had a GSA)

Trousers - BMW Streetguard (New Version) 

For all the reasons above :)

Gloves - Klim PowerXcross - Brilliant gloves with Goretex Xtrafit so you don't get a baggy or saggy glove lining. Warm and Waterproof

Gloves - Aerostitch Elkskin Ropers - Best Summer gloves you can buy, no padding etc but the feel and all day comfort can't be beaten IMHO. Had a 30MPH off, went palm down with them and they never even marked.

Boots - Altberg Roadrunner - Just bought these after my Daytona's gave up the ghost, after 12 years loyal service. Altbergs have a great rep, are comfortable and great protection.

Summer wise

Lid - Bell Custom 500 Open Face lid and Blue bubble visor - Hipster heaven, and Openface is great for summer 

Jacket - Marks and Spencer Pigskin jacket - No Armour - No protection - But underneath it I wear a Forcefield Safety Shirt, with back, chest, shoulder and elbow D30 armour.

Jeans - Klim K Fifty 1 Jeans - Best Kevlar Jeans I've ever had, very clever construction, and they look just like regular jeans. D30 Hip Armour, Knee Armour and Coccyx protection, with a good fit.

Boots - BMW Dry Sneakers - Biking armoured high top trainers that are waterproof and armoured

The Odd Track day

1 Piece Crowtree Leathers in Black, 14 years old, a few spills and still look fantastic (unlike the owner)

Best quality kit I've ever found is Klim, BMW stuff, whether you like the brand or not is quality and has a no quibble warranty, and Rukka is outstanding gear, but having a bit of a dip quality wise so people are saying since a lot of production moved to China.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2017 at 19:19, CWARD said:

Speaking of jeans JTS Warrior kevlar jeans which have been much better than the Draggin Jeans I had before. 

These are half decent then? I've fancies a pair of Kevlar Jeans for ages but I'm a fat **** so finding stuff that fits and is comfortable is a pain in the arse (sometimes literally). JTS make a decent amount of fat man gear, I've got their trousers and jacket, both are quite good for the money IMO but they're full textile gear, a nice pair of jeans will be great for scooter riding and local stuff. 

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 21:44, Bud said:

Crowtrees and Daytona boots good kit:thumbup:

Crowtrees and Sidi boots for me.

Shame Crowtree aren't going anymore. Had two sets of leathers from them and always a pleasure to visit.

On my sixth Arai now, it's the best fitting helmet for me, currently a Rebel model.

4 minutes ago, tuono01 said:

Crowtrees and Sidi boots for me.

Shame Crowtree aren't going anymore. Had two sets of leathers from them and always a pleasure to visit.

On my sixth Arai now, it's the best fitting helmet for me, currently a Rebel model.

Always risky going to see Linda and getting abuse for having a "naughty" belly

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tuono01 said:

Ha ha. I had comments about my monkey arms, they measured twice to make sure!

Linda got me on my calves, again I got the twice measured, a brew and a lot of ****taking. Alec was funny as feck to, was sorry to hear he'd passed away in 2014 as he and Linda deserved a long and happy retirement.