is it suspensiom or brakes

i have a strange problem that needs help. when I go over speed bumps it feels like something is loose on the front end suspension wise, and also when braking the steering wheel snatches to the left. I have and the bottom ball joints replaced and a shot tie rod end on the drivers side. When these were replaced i managed to look at the rest of the suspension bushes which all seemed ok along with the arb links. I have looked at the springs and all seems ok there too. This problem is becoming very annoying and needs sorting. Any advice would be great. Please dont make me strip another Mk1 VRS

Jack each wheel up and check for side too side play and then repeat for top and bottom. Sounds too me like either rear or frnt bushes on the lower arms. Any knocking with it or does it just feel odd? 

Edited by Jux

Was the tracking checked & adjusted after replacing the ball joints and TRE?

Other things to check:

1. Brake imbalance on MOT rollers. Could be a sticking caliper piston or sliders.

2. Play in inner tie rod joints or the track rod end on the other side.

3. Worn suspension arm bushes are quite common and make the car feel crap on the brakes. If they've had it then replace them with the TT bushes - makes a huge improvement!

4. Play in the top mount.

Most of those would be MOT fail or advisory depending on severity. If you're friendly with your local MOT station it may be worth getting them to give it a quick check, otherwise you should be able to check everything else yourself apart from the brake imbalance.

• Like 1

I checked all the bushes when the bottom ball joint and tie rod end where replaced and they all seem ok, and after they where fitted it was tracked up. There is no play on either side tie rods or tie rod ends so in a process of elimination I am swaying towards the top mount!! When turning the wheels on the ground I see that when turning towards right lock, if you back off the steering wheel when turn it right, I can see the road wheel move back and forward which is not right to me. On that basis it still makes me feel like the top mount. Is there an upgrade available from other models or are they all the same, and is it worth doing both sides as they have done same mileage. Oh and thanks guys for your help it's always appreciated.

If you are considering changing the top mount, then it is worth doing both. Trouble is, you could then get into the realms of changing shocks as well whilst it is in bits. So , maybe worth either 1) pricing up a coil over kit (if that's what you like) or 2) getting OE shocks from TPS (about £34 each + vat) - which is what I have to do (one top mount as advisory on MOT, plus the shocks have done 160k miles, so are tired). If it was me, I would change shocks and top mounts at the same time.

OE Shocks are JZW413031N Top mounts (Febi) are FEB09228

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this frustrating, annoying, kick your dog, slap your wife problem. Finally got the strut top mounts replaced and on test drive all seem good. Then right back to how it was before. Been through all bushes, it's had bottom ball joints, strut top mounts, tie rod ends. Been round arbl for play (nothing) no play in anything I can see all buses good no play in anything i can see.....proper pulling my hair out now and I was bold before I started. As I got to work this morning and went over the speed bump (one of those plastic ones) boom feels like something loose again and when lifting of the brake steering wheel snatches to the left. No problem braking though and loads of meet on brakes from what I can see.

Hi Pal you say the bushes seem fine but have you checked they're not loose in the wishbone on the side that it is pulling towards?

Also, I second the point above about TT bushes - they make a HUGE difference.

I'd put my money on it being bush related.

Keep us posted! :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well reesky you should be a betting man. I have put a new bottom arm on the drivers side and problem sorted. I had the strut tops done by a friends garage and he also checked all the bushes while on a ramp (so he said) When removing the bottom arm myself I found the back bush on the arm to be absolutely hanging, shocked that he hasn't seen this. I am know back to working on my car myself as I really can't trust anyone else clearly. 

Also noticed that the arb bushes are shot while I was doing the arm, so another job to do before MOT, and access doesn't look good but still rather do myself and know it's done correct 

• Like 1

Also I have taken the information about the TT bushes and I keeping the old arms and going to replace the bushes with the TT ones for the future. Going to replace the passenger side arm when the weather clears up too

• Like 1

Great stuff. Well done. When you get around to doing the TT bushes, a hefty bench vice often does the trick when it comes to putting them in. If not, you can get a wind-in tool off eBay for around £20. No need to go faffing around with 5-tonne presses and wotnot.

Cheers.

On 16/05/2017 at 17:30, skidmoose said:

I am know back to working on my car myself as I really can't trust anyone else clearly. 

Not all mechanics are the same, for instance I told you what was the most likely problem and how too check it on the first reply in this thread ;)