MOT Surprise

paulfjr

My Yeti is coming up for 3 years old so I took it to my local garage for the MOT. It passed fine, but I was surprised when they did the emissions testing as the diesel engine would not rev more than about 2500 RPM while the car was stationary, and hence could not get an emissions reading. The MOT tester said this seems to be normal with a number of modern diesel cars, and he just has to state this on the MOT computer and the car passes its MOT. This is my first diesel vehicle - so my question is is this normal for all diesel Yeti's or just some that have the "cheat" software (mine has the EA189 diesel engine)?

All my previous diesel cars (fords and a  Jaguar) would not rev higher than 2-3000 rpm if in neutral. I was told that this was to help protect damage to the Dual mass Flywheel and/or clutch ....

Jim

As the tester says, it is common for there to be a limit on revs in neutral; revving an unloaded engine is not good for it.