Fabia vrs burning oil

Hello I'm wondering if any one has come across the CTHE engine burning oil? 

Mine has done 25,000 Mls and has started burning oil. I bought it in January 2017 and it has a years warranty, which I'm going to take down to Skoda but I would like to be a bit more up to speed with and updates and such. 

Dont want them pulling the wool over my eyes with it! 

Any help is more than welcome 

thanks guys 

Welcome to the forum, best look at the thread pinned at top of the page.

Early CTHE 2012-early 2013 still were having Oil Consumption issues and needed engines replaced and got that if you look at the pinned thread.

thomasaspin, 

Your car had a CAVE engine did it not, and then got a replacement engine which really should not use oil should it?

You say the Tech said it was a CTHE so good if it is and all sorted, so SKODA / VW should have done.

• Like 1

Yeah it's totally standard, it is a 2013 model. 63 plate? I'm going to contact the Skoda dealership soon because it's using a lot of oil tbh, due to only buying the car in January I've not needed to service it? But I was thinking of perhaps checking the plugs and such just to make sure it's all ok? But if burning oil the plug will be oily? Correct? 

What ever you do do not delay.

Start your Warranty Claim ASAP.

Getting the Official Oil Consumption Test done, any diagnosis etc.

This is very important.

Do you know the full Service & Warranty History.?

If not.

Get Skoda UK Customer Services or a Main Dealership to send you that today if you can or call into a Dealership and get that.

One spark plug might be sooted and oily., but there is more to it than that, and do not touch the car yourself.

The Spark Plugs in might be the Originals and likely should get changed now if not been, and a software update already,

even if Skoda Techs or Employees say 'only done 25,000 miles.

The thing you might be offered is New Oil Spray Jets / Squirters, i would reject the car unless they are doing Squirters and an Extended Warranty 

or fitting a new engine if it is a bad one.

& 0.5litres in 1,000 km /  621 miles is not acceptable, no matter who says it. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-and-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/353149-fabia-mk2-14tsi-replacement-engines-replaced-how-many 

good luck.  Use that Warranty, & like this week.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 2

I have spoken to Skoda and they can only have to car taken in on the 3rd April I'm a bit annoyed because that's 2 weeks and the fault is happening and needs to be seen asap and that date to me isn't soon enough? 

It last had a service at 19000 and it's currently on 25000 Mls. I have all history and paper work for the car. 

Got it to be said I am dreading the response from Skoda. 

So I should reject the squirter and oil jets up date then ? Or only if the provide an extend on the warranty of the fix? 

It has burned a 1litre in 267 miles. And has done this previously before also. 

I have been putting shell helix engine oil 5w 30 long life in the car but I'm not sure if that's the correct grade? 

Cheers for the help 

Sorry but did you talk to Skoda UK Customer Services or a Skoda Dealership that sold you the car?

2 weeks in not an acceptable time line if they are starting with just an Oil Consumption Test.

Who is the Warranty With, a Skoda Approved Used car & 12 Months Warranty?

Skoda have nothing to do with it Unless they are the Underwriter of the Warranty and the T&C's say they have any say.

'Known issues, and yet it gets a Warranty so the Warranty procedure is important. 

Get everything in writing, and be sure there is no buck passing.

Proper Diagnosis by a Master Tech not some Service Managers opinion on anything unless he / she is a Master Tech.

?

So what Dealership or Dealership Group sold the car and the Warranty?

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

For those that have experienced this, what's the normal procedure once you make the first call? I understand it starts with the consumption test but is it something you would be asked to pay for? Is there any thing the customer would be charged for? Also, are there any differences in the process for someone with manufactures warranty vs dealer approved 12/24m vs no warranty.

I would personally like to know as not sure mine is consuming more than tolerance but might help others too.

I'm situated in Lancashire and I bought the car as a used car from Harrogate honda. They provide a 12 month warranty with all used cars they sell I have read the small print and seems as though it covers this issue due to it being so severe and not a wearing item at 25000mls 

i know a bit about cars and I'm not standing for any pass the book rubbish Honda will have to stand this am sure!!!!! 

1 hour ago, CrookyVRS said:

I'm situated in Lancashire and I bought the car as a used car from Harrogate honda. They provide a 12 month warranty with all used cars they sell I have read the small print and seems as though it covers this issue due to it being so severe and not a wearing item at 25000mls 

i know a bit about cars and I'm not standing for any pass the book rubbish Honda will have to stand this am sure!!!!! 

Sounds to me like someone has had this car before you knew it was bad and decided to get rid at a dealer who wouldn't of known of the issues 

• Like 1

All i will say is good luck dealing with Skoda Customer Services...

I must admit, i have a CAVE engined Fabia and touching wood its alright on oil, but i know its had previous warranty work done (Also found out recently it was Hayselden Skoda Doncasters Demo Car), and i was after knowing what had been done and where, so after having many discussions with Skoda CS, they couldn't tell me a thing as i wasn't the original owner due to data protection, and the invoices would have there details on it.....whats the chances after all the issues i would be the original owner on a 60 plate car this day in age?

Hope you get something sorted though, and as Awayoffski has said, don't delay!

^^^ There is good news and not so sure news.

He will not have to deal with Skoda Customer Services, the Warranty Underwriters or the Honda Dealership will.

This is because like other Warranty Providers they are landed with some problem that was a 'Known Issue'  yet SKODA / VW never publicly admitted.

So maybe SKODA / VW will do what they have had to do in the past and reach some deal with the Dealership or Warranty Underwriters and 

'Provide a deal on a new engine'.  

Like the Goodwill deals they do when VW know they are up the creak without a paddle.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

^^^ Odd the people that 'Do not know' are Skoda UK or VW Group.

My GTI had the same issue and i didnt have a problem with the warranty company (warranty wise). Managed to get it done through my local VW. It might be worth contacting the warranty supplier and ask them how much freedom you have in regards to where you take the car. If not then go through honda and they might send it to Skoda anyway.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

my 11 plate Fabia vRS has just been in the dealer after I had the EPC and EML come on at the weekend and it go into limp mode. 

They said it has burned 0.5mm of oil since it was serviced on 13th March (done no more than 200 miles in that time) and showed me 2 of the spark plugs caked in oil and one with a bit missing. Have got them to replace the plugs and they have also recommended the following:

Breather hose

Fresh air supply

Oil spray jets

Software update

From reading the thread above it seems this is pretty standard advice so was wondering if it's advisable to get all this done at the dealer asap. Total cost is going to be somewhere near £800 but if the alternative is for the engine to go pop I suppose I don't have much choice!

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Best not hi-jack this thread, plenty other oil use ones.

Also Squirter threads if you do a search. EDIT.  Bumped one for you, and pinned threads up above as well.

But quickly, are new plugs in now?

Check the Oil level cold and hot and know where that is.

Did they do an official Oil Consumption test, weighed oil at service and weighed now and a report giving the weights.

If not do your own check with the new spark plugs in before looking for doing a Software Update if not already done, and Breather Mod, 

or Squirters.

You would have been better to have 5w 40 FS oil (VW502 00)  rather than 5w 30 FS LL (VW504 00) if they used that.

How many miles has the car done?

Buy a Skoda Used Warranty after all it has no 'Known Issues'.  well none that Skoda admit to.

good luck.

PS

OIL USE AFTER A SERVICE IS NOT UNUSUAL.

So was it 3.6 Litres they charged for at the service?

When were the Spark Plugs changed before the service 200 miles ago?

Edited by Awayoffski

Hi Awayoffski,

Thanks for the reply and apologies for not starting a new topic. 

Plugs are are new in today and were last replaced 2 years ago. 

They used 5W30 oil. 

Car at has done 45k. 

No mention of an oil consumption test. 

Will look into into the warranty, thanks. 

21 hours ago, pwdvrs said:

Hi Awayoffski,

Thanks for the reply and apologies for not starting a new topic. 

Plugs are are new in today and were last replaced 2 years ago. 

They used 5W30 oil. 

Car at has done 45k. 

No mention of an oil consumption test. 

Will look into into the warranty, thanks. 

Did they do a compression test ? Wonder where the missing bit of spark plug has gone ? Is it driving ok now ? , I'd upgrade go Denso plugs if you haven't already ? 

He does not want a 'compression test', 

He has a Service History, correct parts, 'No known issues',  so just buy the 'Skoda Warranty' for 12 months.  Sorted, or it might be if the 'Not Known Issues' were to appear.

If you know what i mean.....

Can someone link the Skoda Warranty please,

cant search it now.  Cheers.

11 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

He does not want a 'compression test', 

He has a Service History, correct parts, 'No known issues',  so just buy the 'Skoda Warranty' for 12 months.  Sorted, or it might be if the 'Not Known Issues' were to appear.

If you know what i mean.....

Can someone link the Skoda Warranty please,

cant search it now.  Cheers.

If some of my spark plug was missing I would want a compression test....

Warranty purchased and starts on 1st May. 

Going to call dealer on Monday and ask about contribution to repairs based on what I have learned from Briskoda and its wealth of highly knowledgeable members!

Thanks guys and will start a new topic to update once have spoke to dealer. 

You cant do that.

The idea of the Warranty is 'the car / engine has no known issues',   ie, piece of mind in case some arise.

If you know you have a faulty engine then buying a Warranty can be money wasted.

Why would a dealer make a contribution?

If you want to get Skoda UK to pay you do that, a dealership is not to blame for Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Material or Component choice and Quality control.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused, you said get a warranty but now you're saying it is a waste of money. 

Was thinking I should ask the dealer if they can speak to skoda UK but will contact them direct as that sounds like a better idea. 

The Warranty is good, bought and in place.

Then the car starts to have issues, you go to a Main Dealers you get a diagnosis done, a report and you get a claim in.

The car had a Full Service History and current and that is good.

Going to a Dealership asking for a contribution for something is a whole different matter, and nothing to do with a Skoda Warranty.

That is the difference.

If the dealership sent you away with a car running OK, then drive it a while, there are new plugs in, oil, use super unleaded and if it needs topped up 

occasionally do that for a few hundred miles.  They should have had the latest software update on it at the Service.

If in a while there is a EPC light or Emissions Control (Engine Light) then that is time to use the Warranty because currently the car has 'No known issues', 

'Just running as some do, no official Oil consumption test done, no compression test done'.