ABS and Traction Control lights both on.

Just driving home yesterday when both the traction control & ABS lights came on together. I wasn't braking at the time, just travelling at about 50mph.

A mechanic neighbour plugged in some device under the dashboard and said he couldn't get any codes, but thought it might be a faulty sensor. When I first switch on the engine, neither light is on, but they both appear within a short distance. The car still drives and brakes fine and there's no warning lights.  Someone on this site a year or two ago had the same lights on and it turned out to be a fuse.

Any thoughts on what it might be and likely cost? 

1 hour ago, mikeholroyd said:

Get it checked by someone with VCDS before you put it into a garage. At least that will tell you what is wrong as the fault codes will be logged.

North East? Where abouts? I'm in Whitby if that's any use?

Mike

Thanks.   I'm in Durham.   The guy who looked at it for me plugged in a device that was about the size of a mobile phone & he couldn't find any logged problem, but then again, he just did it as I was stopped to chat to him (up in Northumberland). I'll find someone near home, I know someone who will have the right contacts.

How many miles are on the vehicle? This could be a failing wheel bearing (the teeth the ABS/Traction control/TPMS sensor counts are built into the wheel bearing and go out of spec when it starts to go.) I just had this happen to me. Cost £240 for a new rear wheel bearing, fitted at a main dealer.

Edited by Papfox

6 hours ago, Papfox said:

How many miles are on the vehicle? This could be a failing wheel bearing (the teeth the ABS/Traction control/TPMS sensor counts are built into the wheel bearing and go out of spec when it starts to go.) I just had this happen to me. Cost £240 for a new rear wheel bearing, fitted at a main dealer.

93,000 miles. The car was serviced at the main dealer in January, but I'll explore all possibilities. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 06:52, Papfox said:

I've had the car checked with VCDS and it was confirmed that the rear nearside sensor is faulty. I've been to main dealer where I always get my work done & their man suggests that I get wheel bearing replaced at the same time. I also asked if it would be a problem to just not bother with sensor replacement, as the car drives and brakes perfectly well. They told me it would be an MOT failure. I don't see how the traction control not working could fail an MOT when I have a switch on the dash to switch it on/off when I want.

Anyway, it'll be fixed this week.   Thanks for all input / suggestions.

The MoT rules say that no warning lights must be illuminated during normal operation of the vehicle. There also seems to be a bit of a thing like in the old days with motorcycle indicators, "if it's fitted, it has to work."

Update...  My car was taken into my local Skoda dealership today to have a sensor and wheel bearing replaced, as suggested by a mechanic. After I had dropped the car off and walked home this morning, I received by e-mail a nice little animated Skoda video showing exactly how the sensor and bearing fit in with each other. Now I understand how it all works - a useful touch. When I collected the car I found that they only needed to replace the wheel bearing as the sensor was fine.

• 2 years later...

I've got a similar problem with my mkII Superb...new member here so not sure whether to start a new thread or keep this one going...advice/suggestions welcome!

Various warning lights suddenly appeared last week - unsure whether they're all related or just coincidence that they've appeared at the same time.

Tyre pressure warning was on previously and think I have a slow puncture - refilled tyre and reset the tyre pressure, all ok for a few days. Once the other warning lights appeared the tyre pressure warning appeared again and although I've checked and reset the pressure in all four tyres I'm unable to reset it.

Bulb warning light - there's been a temperamental fault with number plate lighting - one of the two bulbs goes out occasionally - tap it and it comes back on, so not sure whether the warning light is on for that fault or the AFS.

Anyone with an OBD scanner local to Penzance?! MOT due so may end up biting the bullet and buy one myself.

From what I've read on here there could be a few causes for these warnings to appear - faulty abs sensor perhaps.

superbdash2.jpg

superbdash.jpg

superbdash1.jpg

13 hours ago, Salad_Fingers said:

Tyre pressure warning was on previously

If you've got that, ABS and traction control (any type) warning lights at once, I'd suspect an ABS sensor or wheel wiring problem, or a slow puncture, since all 3 systems use the same sensors and depend on actual rolling radius.

Thanks @KenONeill - I think I have a slow puncture but I've had a slow puncture on a couple of occasions before without the ABS/ESC lights coming on but appreciate what you're saying. Think I'll get chance to jack the car up today and get at least a couple of the sensors removed and cleaned up to see if all that's causing it is a bit of crud! Hopefully they come out without any issues.

Can't see any foreign objects stuck in the tyres so will give them a quick bath when I remove each wheel and see if I spot any tell-tale bubbles!

@Salad_Fingers - OK then:-

1. Check for a slow puncture, and rectify that if required. Note that, in this context, a "slow puncture" is any condition that means one tyre loses pressure faster than the other on that end of the car.
  2. If there aren't any slow punctures, use a good code reader to determine which corner(s) throw ABS errors, then investigate there.