Dashcam on tailgate Superb L&K

Would like to fit a Dashcam on the back window of my Superb to avoid cash for crash scams, I understand the only live feed

is from wiper motor I am however not too happy about taking off the trim as it looks pretty well secured.

I would like to know has anyone managed to do this ? and if so would appreciate any hints or photos if possible.

By far the easiest and best way is to remove the trim, otherwise you still need to route the power cable to the tailgate, done neatly this means it has to run in the OE grommets, which is not easy!

Trust me the neatest and easiest way is to remove the trim.

I have one, but I have it plugged into the 12v socket in the boot. It's a bit of a nuisance having to keep unplugging it and remembering to plug it back in again, due to it being permanently live. 

54 minutes ago, Superb626 said:

Would like to fit a Dashcam on the back window of my Superb to avoid cash for crash scams, I understand the only live feed

is from wiper motor I am however not too happy about taking off the trim as it looks pretty well secured.

I would like to know has anyone managed to do this ? and if so would appreciate any hints or photos if possible.

I power my rear dashcam from a switched 12v feed I ran from a piggy back fuse in the fuse box behind the glove compartment. There is a removable panel on dashboard passenger side. From there fed a piece of automotive twin-flex inside the side trim down to floor level then along side trim, under rear seat then into boot, under boot floor cover and into the box where the Canton sub-woofer is located( used an electricians nylon pull-through cable ). In there I fitted a 12v to USB converter and used the USB power cable supplied with the dashcam between the converter and the camera, running the cable up behind the rubber trim.

All cable was first wrapped with automotive fabric tape ( available on Amazon/eBay quite cheaply ). Makes the cable blend in really well and looks like factory fitted cable.

Only tricky bit (on hatchback ) was the loop of cable from centre of rear trim at roof level to the camera fitted on the black plastic housing of the high level break light. You have to fiddle around with it so that there is enough play for it to stretch when the tailgate is opened but spring back so that it's not too conspicuous when the hatch closes.

Hope this gives you an idea. Can't supply pictures as there are no cables visible!

Thanks for that, any advice on where to star,t I notice two cutouts about 2 inches long in the trim are they screws? I presume a trim removal

tool would be a must. I see halfords have them, I remember your previous advice re doing it on a hot day! to avoid breaks

5 minutes ago, Rifleman said:

Only tricky bit (on hatchback ) was the loop of cable from centre of rear trim at roof level to the camera fitted on the black plastic housing of the high level break light. You have to fiddle around with it so that there is enough play for it to stretch when the tailgate is opened but spring back so that it's not too conspicuous when the hatch closes.

Hope this gives you an idea. Can't supply pictures as there are no cables visible!

This is the reason I ran the cable through the OE grommet ‘tubes’ to avoid having to have a loop of cable between the body and hatch.

2 minutes ago, Superb626 said:

Thanks for that, any advice on where to star,t I notice two cutouts about 2 inches long in the trim are they screws? I presume a trim removal

tool would be a must. I see halfords have them, I remember your previous advice re doing it on a hot day! to avoid breaks

Yes you normally have a couple of screw / torx holding the trim on, all the other fixings are push fit spring clips.

It doesn’t need to be ‘hot’ but room temperature is a must IMO.

This is my camera the only cable on show is between the camera and trim.

I also ran a cable from the fusebox like Rifleman as I did not order the rear wiper.

IMG_1397_zpsgtpo9mh1.jpg

Thanks Rifleman for the info, I think I will try the wiper motor first and see how I get on, sounds like you are a bit of an expert!!

1 hour ago, Superb626 said:

Thanks Rifleman for the info, I think I will try the wiper motor first and see how I get on, sounds like you are a bit of an expert!!

Not really, just years of practice of hiding hi-fi/video cables. My wife has zero tolerance of visible cables!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2017 at 19:44, daveo138 said:

I have one, but I have it plugged into the 12v socket in the boot. It's a bit of a nuisance having to keep unplugging it and remembering to plug it back in again, due to it being permanently live. 

Can you just not move the fuse so it's not permanently live? 

I've done the opposite with the rear 12v socket in the past so that the kids DVD players didn't power off when I was filling the car up or similar.