TALEX Speed Detector

Here are some pix from various angles of the Talex fitted to my Furby vRS.

I took the wire and bound it in some self adhesive foam (Paxmate) the stuff for soundproofing PC Cases. then pushed it using a special tool (Old wire coat hanger) into the gap between the screen and the dash edge (Obviously NOT the demister vents). Popped the l/h dash cover off and the glove box lid, more sticky foam (Don't like rattles) and using the self adhesive clips supplied, fed it through to the ASR Switch (this is an ignition switched live) popped an inline fuse holder in, used the original fuse from the ciggy lighter adapter that came with it and split / soldered / shrink wrapped the wire's into the wires on the ASR switch.

Quick test, glove box screwed back up, l/h pod on and then a road test for functionality (of the talex) and rattles / squeaks, and all was well.

Pix are just of the installation, not step by step as I had already fitted it, but you should get the jist from these pix.

I have also popped a couple of video's up of it powering up etc. will post the URL for those when they have been "approved".

Cheers

Fluff'

PS - Sorry for monster post :D

th_DSC00117.jpg

th_DSC00116.jpg

th_DSC00113.jpg

th_DSC00112.jpg

th_DSC00111.jpg

th_DSC00110.jpg

th_DSC00109.jpg

th_DSC00108.jpg

th_DSC00107.jpg

th_DSC00106.jpg

Fluffmeister,

Looks very good indeed :thumbup: I have not yet had the bottle to hard wire mine. Still have the wire hanging down the dash which does look naff. :thumbdwn:

I will get round to it soon enough. Bye the way, when you fed the wire behind the dash, where did it appear from when it came out ?

Cheers, Jon.

As already stated be wary of Talex lite on Ebay, lots of seller aren't stating it.

The cheap ones we've got are end of line Serial ones, the USB type has now been released. Serial works for me so no problem.

Well it's arrived today ( just got home so not played with it yet), first impression was "Tiny" :)

Thought i'd do the updates to find both my laptop and desktop computers don't have a serial port (bugg*r), just been onto fleabay and found a serial to USB adapter for £8 inc postage (phew relief) - Talex sell them for £19.99

For the peeps that have hard wired them - does the cig lighter adapter have 2 wires inside the black 1 (i know stupid question really), are these colour coded for + - (red/ black)? should i just buy an aftermarket lighter adapter and plug it in :)

Cheers

Just got my second one for the wife's car off ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5869987999&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11

At £40 + £6p&p for the full version with 6mths subscription was too good to miss !

I've no problem with the serial port version as both my laptops have serial ports.

They really are good ! :)

Cheers Stu

Not to find where to get the switched feed from (don't fancy taking the Alpine out yet again)

Robby, I took my feed off the ASR switch, when you unscrew the cig lighter adapter off you will find a red and white wire. The white is the earth.

I think I put the routing I took in the earlier post I made with the pixus maximus :D

Don't forget an inline fuse on the live, you can use the fuse you remove from the cig lighter adapter, the talex comes witha spare fuse as well.

I am up in Motherwell at the moment and once again it has been dead on, much more accurate than tomtom with the pocket gps world POI's. Just to quantify that statement, the tomtom would always warn for camera's on the opposite side of the road etc.

The latest update I got even picked up a recent specs site on the M6 just up near lancaster.

Still an excellent peice of kit when you compare it against a road angel, which is excellent, but seems overpriced compared to talex.

fluff'

I don't think i'd like to cut into the ASR myself.

Mine is fed from the fuse box and sits on the right hand side of the dash.

Why not m8? it's only coming off it's ignition switched live wire (not the switch itself). It's split, soldered, and heatshrinked, and tbh, I never have it switched on (the asr that is).

I don't doubt you've done it properly Tony, I just don't mess with safety devices.

There are other places to take power from but obviously you are happy and that's what it's all about :thumbup:

and i thought i'd got a bargain

Pssst' date=' he's got 4 more listed and if the price stays at £40 it's an incredible bargain.:thumbup:

If you want one this is the full version (not lite) serial connection not usb with 6 months subscription included .... they won't come cheaper than this ! ;)

[url']http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Talex-Speed-Camera-Detector_W0QQitemZ5871861130QQcategoryZ14935QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

I know i may seem stupid but what is the "ASR"? As I'm looking for an ignition switched live connection myself.

Also i'm thinking of buying the Drive Smart gps camera detection system with the externally mounted laser detector. Can anyone tell me how to get the cable from the front number plate to inside of the car (its a Octavia II)

Any help would be greatly appreciated