TALEX Speed Detector

I've just completed a 750 mile journey and the Talex is a Godsend. Red light cameras

One would hope that the big RED light would alert you to these :rolleyes: :P (and if it's your normal practice to ignore them unless there's a camera there then :thumbdwn: :nono: )

One would hope that the big RED[/color'] light would alert you to these :rolleyes: :P (and if it's your normal practice to ignore them unless there's a camera there then :thumbdwn: :nono: )
You never accidentally jumped the red light ? Yeah sure. It's a safety feature, and yeah, by the way, I do know the highway code and what traffic lights do..... very funny NOT.

Jonny, think about it. If you accidentally jump the light, what use is a camera detector? If you mean you're more careful NOT to jump the light when you know there's a camera there, you are implying that you regularly risk jumping them.

Guess we'll have to agree to differ.

Jonny' date=' think about it. If you accidentally jump the light, what use is a camera detector? If you mean you're more careful NOT to jump the light when you know there's a camera there, you are implying that you regularly risk jumping them.

Guess we'll have to agree to differ.[/quote']

Nick, honestly, I DO see your point. I have completed driving courses for the Police and drive sensibly for 99.9 % of the time.

We all (Police included) break some limits from time to time and on one occasion I was approaching a set of lights (with someone up my ars*) they changed and I probably passed them as they went red.

The camera flashed. If I was aware of the camera (Talex voice indicates these up to 500 yards) one could make little adjustments (and I don't mean brake from 60 - 30, that's not how I drive) then these issues wouldn't arise. The implication was that I speed and ignore the lights, most definately NOT.

Most people would sooner know who's watching them where on the roads and although there's nothing wrong with covert Policing on our roads, most people are good drivers and should be told where a camera may be regardless of it's nature.

Jon.

Agreed. The original comment wasn't an outright condemnation, just intended to make you think about what you said. You listed red light cameras in with a lot of other things. My point was that running red lights wasn't something to be taken in the same context as doing 80 mph on an open bit of road with nobody else there.

I have always resisted the urge to buy a detector on the basis that I might become complacent. I'm regularly tempted, but haven't succumbed yet.

To be perfectly honest Nick, I was the same.

What I find it has now done is to make my driving a little more considerate, if you know what I mean. We all need reminding from time to time about how to drive safely and the Talex does this perfectly.

Anyone intending to buy Talex to evade the law should learn to drive properley on the public highway. :)

Anyone intending to buy Talex to evade the law should learn to drive properley on the public highway. :)

Seems a bit of a waste of money to me - I manage to drive properly and without breaking the law without an expensive box of electronics ;)

Chris

if nothing else it's got a clock on it so SWMBO stops asking me what the time is LOL :P - admittedly there are cheaper clocks out there :D

Ah, the designers of my car obviously anticipated a nagging SWMBO and put the clock in the centre console for all to see ;):rofl:

Chris

Can the Symphony HU display the time? (I know it stores the time internally - it's a pain not to be able to display it) I used to have my Clarion permanently set to a clock for just that reason, plus the fact that I generally use the trip display for MPG.

I don't think i'd like to cut into the ASR myself.

Mine is fed from the fuse box and sits on the right hand side of the dash.

I don't think I'd have been too worried about cutting into the ASR wiring myself. However, I decided to hardwire the Talex into my wife's Fabia in the same way as you on the right hand side of the dash pushing the wire down the side of the dash out of sight into the fuse box where I picked up a switched live and earth... simple !

Looks neat as well. :thumbup:

Does anyone know if these will work straight out of the box, without updating? Obviously it's vital to keep it up-to-date, defeats the object if not, just wondering if it has a database on it already.

Anyone tried it without getting updates first?

Steve

I don't think I'd have been too worried about cutting into the ASR wiring myself. However' date=' I decided to hardwire the Talex into my wife's Fabia in the same way as you on the right hand side of the dash pushing the wire down the side of the dash out of sight into the fuse box where I picked up a switched live and earth... simple !

Looks neat as well. :thumbup:[/quote']

I should really add that I was putting a new Head Unit in at the same time so had the glove box / cubby / old head unit out and so it was a route that was staring me in the face so to speak. Plus I as in and about the wiring eliminating rattles by using some paxmate foam shroud on the wiring around the HU. Worked as well, no little niggly rattles from t't dash :D

Does anyone know if these will work straight out of the box' date=' without updating? Obviously it's vital to keep it up-to-date, defeats the object if not, just wondering if it has a database on it already.

Anyone tried it without getting updates first?

Steve[/quote']

Yes, they work straight out of the box, the data base is already installed, but it is worth updating them ASAP to keep up with the latest camera positions. Also it only takes a few mins to update them.

• 6 months later...

I've had a Micro Fuzion camera detector for about 12 months. It looks exactly like the TALEX, and the spec is the same. Price is £99. See this:

http://www.microfuzion.co.uk/

The only difference that I can see is that the Micro Fuzion updates are FREE for life!

I wonder if the voice is the same girl on both models? If I had to take a guess who it is on the Micro Fuzion, I would go for Patsy Kensit.

Well I've just purchased one from the link I posted previously so we'll see what it's like when it arrives :thumbup: .

I don't do a lot of long distance driving on un-familiar roads so could'nt justify the cost of the more expensive systems but always said if one was less than

Had a Talex Lite for three months now, confirmed all the local sites (plus one mobile site I hadn't spotted) and is invaluable on long journeys. Even though I try to keep to limits (most of the time ;-) ) it's good to have a little helper on the dashboard.

Well I don't deliberately speed in non nsf zones but it's nice to know where there are cameras when on a long journey - I still own an original snooper but don't use it as it's a PITA picking up every fuel station, B&Q and traffic light in the blinking area!!!

Got my Talex Lite on monday (quick service considering I only ordered friday!) and tried it out.

Seems to work well enough although the "possible locations" could get on my wick pretty quick round town where A: It's impossible to speed most of the time and B: I've never known them to setup there anyway!!!

I installed the power cable properly today, went for removing the cigarette lighter plug, keeping maximum cable length and ran across the right front of screen, down the side behind the trim and then back left behind the panel (where the diagnostics port is) to the stereo to pick up a switched supply.

Right pain getting the head unit out again and back in with all the flipping wires that are behind it :thumbdwn: .

It all looks neat installed central on the dash and appears to work well so it's a good rating from me :thumbup: .

Matt