Regen every week

Hi All

Had an issue just a few months ago with the car doing a regen every week. Also had limp mode with the turbo actuator seeming to be the culprit.

Eventually due to it not running right (but no limp mode after actuator replacement) had to get EGR and DPF cleaned out and the turbo refurbished £££££££. It's been ok for a few months but now it's started doing a regen every week again over the last couple of weeks.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

The DPF eventually reaches a maximum loading of ash (this is the converted soot) the DPF then needs to be replaced not cleaned out, which AFAIK isn't possible. Inside the DPF are plates with millions of holes that are microscopic. 

DPF was cleaned out at the place recommended by the tuning place that did all the work. They have had many DPF's cleaned out with great results.

http://www.dpfdeepclean.co.uk

Would a remap cause any issues with the DPF?

There may be a sensor at fault. I would get the car scanned and see what the values are showing at regarding the dpf etc.

Regarding the map. Did the car work when the map was first applied?

• Like 1

Get someone with VCDS or other VAG diagnostics to read the ash loading on the DPF. A regen only burns off soot - it can't burn off oil ash. There's an upper limit to the amount of oil ash the DPF can handle before it needs to be replaced. Whether a DPF cleaner can remove this ash is a matter of speculation. The site mentioned by the OP claims they can remove ash so maybe it can be.

Were the DPF loads stored in the ECU reset after the DPF was cleaned out? If they weren't it may still be thinking that the DPF is loaded up and in need of regeneration. Also, as Ecomatt mentioned, have the sensors checked. It's not uncommon for the differential pressure sensors to fail and trigger excessive regens.

A final thing to check is the remap: a poor remap could be generating a lot of smoke which will load up the DPF very quickly requiring it to regenerate regularly. Have a chat with your tuner if everything else checks out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

There may be a sensor at fault. I would get the car scanned and see what the values are showing at regarding the dpf etc.

Regarding the map. Did the car work when the map was first applied?

We had some issues when it was first applied with it switching the boost on and off between 2000rpm and 2500rpm. It felt like the clutch slipping. Then the clutch did slip within a day or two.

We got a new clutch and flywheel installed. The boost issue was still there. Then it started going into limp mode (0299 error) so eventually traced it to the actuator and replaced that. No more limp mode but very restricted acceleration up to 2000rpm, juddery acceleration to 2500rpm then from 2500rpm all hell broke loose and the acceleration was awesome.

I got VCDS but no errors came up until I tried changing the N75 valve then limp mode and 0299 error again. Changed it back and no more limp but boost issue persisted.

Back to tuning place and they diagnosed the DPF was nearly full. Got that cleaned out but still same boost issue.

They then took the turbo off to send it away to get it checked on the bench. Full refurb and clean carried out. I got them to clean out the EGR at the same time. We suspected that the EGR may have been causing excess soot for some time but not enough to cause an error. The original issue possibly.

It ran fine with smooth acceleration for the last few months and regenerations every 3 or 4 weeks until recently.

Possible EGR again?

I have VCDS but unsure how to check the DPF flows etc. Any advice appreciated.

It is Revo remap.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by FatblokeVRS

If you didnt have the boost issue before the map. Id suggest the map isnt working correctly. Which company did you use? It might be worth getting the original map reinstalled and see how it goes from there. 

My car is mapped by Superchips and I have never had an issue with it doing regens either when standard or mapped. 

They tried to put a Superchips map on but it wouldn't take it so they put a Revo map on it.

I called the tuners and they reckoned that because it's been ok for 3 months the map is fine - I am not convinced.

Had a 2 hour drive at a steady 60/70 mph up to the North of Scotland. When we stopped it was doing another regen. That's about a week again.

Considering getting the map taken back off to run it for a while to see if it goes back to normal regenerations. More expense though. It's cost a fortune since we got the map done.

If you have an android phone download vag dpf app and get a Bluetooth obd adapter. 

You can then see what's going on with your dpf in terms of oil ash, soot level, and when your regens are taking place. 

Just seen you have vcds. You can probably get all the same data from that but not sure how sorry. 

Could still be a sensor fault somewhere causing it to regenerate more frequently.  

On 10/04/2017 at 22:51, FatblokeVRS said:

They tried to put a Superchips map on but it wouldn't take it so they put a Revo map on it.

I called the tuners and they reckoned that because it's been ok for 3 months the map is fine - I am not convinced.

I took my car to Superchips HQ and they had to remove the ECU and flash it on the bench, as it was one of the locked ECU that scramble the map when downloaded to the bluefin handset.  I would get the oe map re installed as I think there is a conflict in the remap causing running issues. Hopefully the tuner took a copy of your ECU before installing the remap.

• Like 1

You haven't had the Emissions "Fix" done to the car have you? with all the problems ive heard off, one is cars doing regens 4-5x more often than previously, then EGR's failing because of this along with injectors and even turbo issues, a remap as far as im aware doesn't change how the car deals with soot, Just a thought :thinking:

9 hours ago, raymundo said:

You haven't had the Emissions "Fix" done to the car have you? with all the problems ive heard off, one is cars doing regens 4-5x more often than previously, then EGR's failing because of this along with injectors and even turbo issues, a remap as far as im aware doesn't change how the car deals with soot, Just a thought :thinking:

Haven't had the "fix" done, just the remap. All issues started from it being put on.

Mate just had his VW 1.6 "fixed" and it's back in to get the EGR done or something. "Nothing to do with the emissions fix Sir but as a goodwill gesture we will do the £1300 repair for free"  YEAH, RIGHT !!!!!!!

Regens occurs every 300 (or around that mark) miles not on time or when. I do around 250 miles a week or more, I get a regen almost every week.

When the needle is sitting on 1000 revs when stationary take it for a blast keeping the revs high.

Cannot see a map being at fault, when a dpf regens the car uses more fuel anyway to heat things up. 

Egr clean may help as it maybe stuck open causing more soot.

My friends Audi 2.0tdi had complete dpf failure a month back even though she drives it hard, but she use to sit in car for upto an hour stationary with engine on (loves her phone lol), hence causing blockage all the time.

Hope you sort your issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

if you have so called chiptuning it may be normal.

I used to have clogged DPF and it took me a half year of high-g, high EGT alpine fun to burn out clogged DPF. Now, I use special fuel additive.

Most chiptuners don't know what they do and just add percents of fuel (as I have written in HOW TO CHOOSE KNOWLEDGABLE CHIPTUNER, which was blocked :-D...resulting in unusual DPF regens very often.

If I drive flat out in Alps with EGT over 800deg C...DPF is full of soot in about 100km...no problem DPF regen three times per day.