stop/start

I'm likely to be changing, later this year, to the current Fabia hatch 1.2 SE (110 hp manual).

Can anyone tell me if it has a button to cancel the stop/start function (like my present Octavia has) or something similar?

17 hours ago, RickW said:

As above,I switch mine off occasionally when I'm at a busy junction.

I do the same, busy junctions and busy roundabouts. If you forget to turn it back on it will be activated again next time you use the car.

I disable my start stop by putting the blowers on 3 when coming to a stop with A/C on. Funny that you can stop the engine by turning the blowers down to 2, then switch the engine on again by blowers on 3, quite amusing.

Also, if you start rolling over 2mph the engine starts again without pressing  in the clutch :) 

5 hours ago, Rebel55 said:

Or you can do as me and disable it completely with the Carista app :)

Oh please, please do tell me how to do this. I hate stop/start witha passion.

Geoff.

Yoy buy a bluetooth dongle, like ELM327, or Carista´s own, plug it in your car´s obd2 port, download Carista OBD 2 app from google play and start configure the settings via the app.

It´s not free, though, you have to pay a subscription for a week or a year.

2 hours ago, Rebel55 said:

Yoy buy a bluetooth dongle, like ELM327, or Carista´s own, plug it in your car´s obd2 port, download Carista OBD 2 app from google play and start configure the settings via the app.

It´s not free, though, you have to pay a subscription for a week or a year.

Can't a dealer do it at a service? (Or any time!?)

10 hours ago, R1100 said:

On my Yeti it has become a "pre launch standard process".  Get in car, start, press stop/start button, engage gears and move off.  

That's exactly what I do on my present Octy.

On  the odd time I forget to, and leave stop/start in action, I soon realise why I turn it off !!

17 hours ago, ednmra said:

Can't a dealer do it at a service? (Or any time!?)

Just gave them a ring out of interest and "NO" they can't. I would imagine this is probably due to the CO2 certification being compromised if it were permanently  disabled.

Geoff.

47 minutes ago, macamx said:

Just gave them a ring out of interest and "NO" they can't. I would imagine this is probably due to the CO2 certification being compromised if it were permanently  disabled.

Geoff.

Another load of green rubbish.....................

I think the concept of stop start is a good one but in practice, it can become a pain.  For instance, I have the 7 speed auto gearbox in my car.  If I stop in traffic and put the car in neutral, the engine starts.  Seems crazy to me that I have to sit with my foot on the brake dazzling whoever is behind for the engine to remain stopped.

I switch mine off for one main reason.  Your are sitting at a T junction waiting to turn right onto a very busy road. With stop/start activated you have to wait for 1 to 2 seconds for the car to start and then get the revs up before you can move off. . That can seem a very long time in fast rush hour traffic.

So with my self preservation hat on I switch it off.  

• Like 1

Only an issue with the dsg?

I can keep my current manual engine running by keeping the clutch down.

I have a dsg on order and i can see that a lot of the time i wil just switch it off as it seems strange to take your foot off the brake and move it to the accelerator pedal to move aways whilst having confidence the engine will have restarted in the meantime to pull into a small ga in the traffic.

There must be lots going on in the background, eg clutches kept disengaged until engine has restarted then starting t bite as acceleration is applied

On 13/04/2017 at 17:08, R1100 said:

I switch mine off for one main reason.  Your are sitting at a T junction waiting to turn right onto a very busy road. With stop/start activated you have to wait for 1 to 2 seconds for the car to start and then get the revs up before you can move off. . That can seem a very long time in fast rush hour traffic.

So with my self preservation hat on I switch it off.  

In these sorts of situations I just sit with the clutch pushed down. I believe on the DSG cars you just don't press the brake pedal so firmly to get the same result?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vc-10 said:

In these sorts of situations I just sit with the clutch pushed down. I believe on the DSG cars you just don't press the brake pedal so firmly to get the same result?

Correct

But after several junctions it's a pain hence my post above

If I have to turn right I sit there with the brake gently pressed to keep engine running with my dsg, if I stop in a que I put it in park so I don't have to keep my foot on the brake, but I wish it would stay off in neutral.

On 13/04/2017 at 17:45, kenfowler3966 said:

Only an issue with the dsg?

I can keep my current manual engine running by keeping the clutch down.

I have a dsg on order and i can see that a lot of the time i wil just switch it off as it seems strange to take your foot off the brake and move it to the accelerator pedal to move aways whilst having confidence the engine will have restarted in the meantime to pull into a small ga in the traffic.

There must be lots going on in the background, eg clutches kept disengaged until engine has restarted then starting t bite as acceleration is applied

@kenfowler3966 @R1100 Mine definitely doesn't take 1 or 2 seconds. It restarts so quickly that there really isn't an issue, as soon as you relax your foot pressure from brake fully on, it springs back into life. I've never known my brake foot to even be fully up before the engine is running and ready to go.

As pps if you expect turning across lanes of traffic to be a scenario then you don't push the brake pedal fully down and s/s won't have activated.

Also agree with the pps that it's stupid that the engine doesn't stay off when you select neutral for short periods.

Pilotguy, I so agree. If you want to take your foot off the brake at lights (with the DSG) you brake to a stop and the s/s stops the engine. You select neutral, put the handbrake on and take your foot off the brake pedal and the s/s restarts the engine. When the lights change, you have to press the brake pedal to select drive and the s/s stops the engine momentarily until you are in drive and take your foot off the brake pedal when the s/s restarts the engine to drive away.  It's very clumsy and annoying.