Miele Vacuum 1200w v 1600w

Octy0GG

A long way off car topic here - other than it could be used to clean car.

Vacuums - Fed up of buying cheap high power upright vacuums which are flimsy, make a hell of a racket, put lots of dust back into the air in use, give you a lungful of dust every time you empty them and last no time at all.

Been impressed by the quality, quietness and performance of some recent but now obsolete bagged Miele cylinder cleaners (2200 and 2000w so no longer sold new)

Now highest power you can get is a few at 1600w but for most its 1200w or less

Claim seems to be that the new technology in the 1200w motor gives it a suction power equivalent to 2000w, no such claim appears to be made for the 1600w.

So is there any foundation in the claims for the newer 1200w motor? - hard to believe the older technology was really that bad.

Or should I get the 1600w while I still can.

Particularly interested in anyone with experience of current 1600w v current 1200w models

Aware have to move reasonably quick before the next power slash.

And no - leaving the EU will make no difference, as even if UK law was quickly changed to allow limitless power for vacuums, no one is going to bother making a UK market special to take advantage of this.

Don't get hung up on Wattage. A crap inefficient motor could pull 2000W and have less effect than a 1000W motor.

Dysons are all 1400W and lower.

Look at the good reviews some of the battery powered vacuums get, they'll only be in the hundreds.

Picking a vacuum on Wattage is like thinking your car is best because it uses the most fuel.

• Like 3

Yes, realising airwatts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwatt) is what I'm really after, but that info is kind of thin on the ground, pity. If it were available we would be able to see if modern low (electrical) power vacuums really are as good/better than older high power machines.

Miele hoovers are superb, they go the distance and last forever; gadget hoovers seem to work for a while but break or wear out in the long run.

I'd buy any Miele cylinder, just go for the best deal on the day.

Our solution is a cheap wet/dry hoover for £55 for occasional abuse/car/spills/fabric spills and the Mieles for the donkey work.  Our current red cat&dog Miele is now 11 years old and still ferocious plus has no issues like worn cables, still as new.  YGWYPF

• Like 2

Curious as to why you'd want a vacuum with a bag? 

For a car you really want a handheld Dyson, Gtech or similar. Most are just as good as a typical cylinder or upright on power. Some models are better. 

It's what I'll be going for when I come to need a vacuum in the very near future 

9 hours ago, gadgetman said:

Curious as to why you'd want a vacuum with a bag? 

For a car you really want a handheld Dyson, Gtech or similar. Most are just as good as a typical cylinder or upright on power. Some models are better. 

It's what I'll be going for when I come to need a vacuum in the very near future 

We have a traditional bagged vacuum (Numatic Henry) and a handheld Dyson (V6 Animal, courtesy of the January sales). Both are very good, and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

The Dyson is great for those times when you want to give the carpets a quick vacuum without having to bother dragging Henry around. It leaves the carpets looking very clean and, being the animal version, it's pretty good at picking up pet hair too. There are quite a few disadvantages though. The bagless dust collection box is tiny and therefore has to be emptied every five minutes or so. If you try to vacuum up anything bigger than a pea, it will quickly get clogged up, either at the brush bar or at the junction between the tube and the dust box. It's particularly good on the higher power setting, but it can only be used on that mode for about six minutes before it has to be charged for a couple of hours. It really relies on the powered brush bar for its cleaning performance, which makes it great for carpets, but ill-suited for vacuuming the car. I've used it on the car with the detail tool and the dusting brush and it's not particularly effective. 

Henry, on the other hand, is a big, heavy, unwieldy traditional vacuum. Yes, you have to buy bags, but they are huge, last for ages and are cheap, even for the official hepaflow versions. Unlike the Dyson however, there are no filters to faff around with. Now we have the Dyson, Henry tends to venture out of the cupboard less often, but he still knocks the Dyson into a cocked hat for outright suction power, versatility and sheer durability. It is almost impossible to kill it or block it up, which is why you see them used by so many tradesmen, as well as in hospitals and hotels.

The Dyson is ok for giving the car a quick vacuum, but it's not that much better than a cheap supermarket own brand handheld vac. The Henry is by far the better choice for giving the car a really good vacuum. I've heard lots of good things about Miele, so I'm sure it will be a good choice. Aspman is spot on about the wattage too.

• Like 1

I bought a Miele Compact C2 cylinder machine for £140 to replace a Dyson cylinder machine that cost over twice as much. The Miele is the better machine. Great variable power range and light to move around. Yeah, it has a bag, but it's cleaner to remove and replace the bag than it is to empty a Dyson cylinder, which gets pretty disgusting looking after a few years. 

The Miele doesn't suck. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

• Like 2

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 18:33, Octy0GG said:

A long way off car topic here - other than it could be used to clean car.

And it has a motor..........and wheels...........and it has to get steered around obstacles............

More in common than you may first think as some cars have an 'old bag' sat inside, too.............:D

• Like 1

Went for Miele Compact C2 Allergy Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner (1200w)

Seems pretty decent but time will tell.

Exhaust does seem to be really clean compared to most vacuums which has to be a good thing -  usually I am fairly aware of the dust a vacuum is throwing back into the air.

• Like 1

I use a Krups 1100w cylinder vacuum cleaner for the car and heavy duty cleaning, such as when I'm decorating, that I bought 31 years ago.  It was used for all house cleaning as well for the first 15 years or so, but SWMBO found it rather heavy and bulky to carry around and for the stairs.  As I've got power supply within reach of the driveway, I find it easier to clean with this machine using a hose and small nozzle than a rechargeable one that won't go into tight spaces around the inside of a car.

Everything still works fine, including the cord retraction, dust bags are easily available and the suction power from 1100 watts is more than enough to clean anything I throw at it.  However, I haven't seen Krups vacuum cleaners around for years, so I don't think I could replace it with another Krups if this one died.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get hung up on names- look at what the professional cleaners/ central heating and I've even seen builders using them- Henry or any of that range. Working in offices over the years I've used a good few names and Henry comes out tops every time. Not that expensive (especially compared to the ones advertised on TV).

( no political points are being made in this post)

Be cheaper to remap a politician to suck instead of blow. Then they can suck up all the **** they spout.

I'll have a Corbyn.

• 1 year later...
On 16/04/2017 at 18:24, RapidPaul said:

We have a traditional bagged vacuum (Numatic Henry) and a handheld Dyson (V6 Animal, courtesy of the January sales). Both are very good, and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

The Dyson is great for those times when you want to give the carpets a quick vacuum without having to bother dragging Henry around. It leaves the carpets looking very clean and, being the animal version, it's pretty good at picking up pet hair too. There are quite a few disadvantages though. The bagless dust collection box is tiny and therefore has to be emptied every five minutes or so. If you try to vacuum up anything bigger than a pea, it will quickly get clogged up, either at the brush bar or at the junction between the tube and the dust box. It's particularly good on the higher power setting, but it can only be used on that mode for about six minutes before it has to be charged for a couple of hours. It really relies on the powered brush bar for its cleaning performance, which makes it great for carpets, but ill-suited for vacuuming the car. I've used it on the car with the detail tool and the dusting brush and it's not particularly effective. 

Henry, on the other hand, is a big, heavy, unwieldy traditional vacuum. Yes, you have to buy bags, but they are huge, last for ages and are cheap, even for the official hepaflow versions. Unlike the Dyson however, there are no filters to faff around with. Now we have the Dyson, Henry tends to venture out of the cupboard less often, but he still knocks the Dyson into a cocked hat for outright suction power, versatility and sheer durability. It is almost impossible to kill it or block it up, which is why you see them used by so many tradesmen, as well as in hospitals and hotels.

The Dyson is ok for giving the car a quick vacuum, but it's not that much better than a cheap supermarket own brand handheld vac. The Henry is by far the better choice for giving the car a really good vacuum. I've heard lots of good things about Miele, so I'm sure it will be a good choice. Aspman is spot on about the wattage too.

+1 for the Dyson handheld. I bought the kit with a set of attachments designed for car cleaning. I think it's the most powerful handheld vacuum in the market.

On 30/04/2017 at 18:44, Auric Goldfinger said:

More sucky sucky.....

You sucky sucky? Me vacuum long time! :D

Dysons are generally a pile of overpriced gimmicky tat, unless you get the really expensive ones. Vax are a bit more solid and less silly, as are Hoover™, but generally we've either broken most of the big brands or just found them sorely lacking, especially when it comes to pet hair. Miele seem to be about on par with the others.

The two that have lasted us well beyond any of the others, to the point that we still have both in use, have been a Samsung one we got from Tesco, and a Numatic shop vac (like a Henry, but bigger and blue).

• Like 1

^^^ I have the Numatic wet / dry vacuum as i used to do car valeting (had two separate containers and hoses) many moons ago.

Unfortunately the pump has packed up and a replacement pump's cost at around £70 is not really worth it but it is still a great powerful dry vacuum after many years use.

I have seen many people using these or similar henry ones and i cannot understand why folk put bags in them, (assuming they all come with a filter inside).

IMO they are best used with just the filter inside them and they are a doddle to empty, with plenty of volume.

• Like 1