Exhaust Questions

Just now, Awayoffski said:

You do not need to cut anything off. You remove the back box as you would if replacing like for like and fit what you choose.

What you might cut would be the rear rear exit area depending on what you want to see with a tail pipe.

Maybe best not too if you do not own the car or are buying it at the end of a contract.

Great stuff, I did contact the company I'd be buying an exhaust off and they said if I provide them with the dimensions etc. then they could possibly make it fit the Monte Carlo without cutting the rear diffuser. I'm trying to minimise any possible damage as I'm 'leasing' the car. 

Have you no Exhaust Fitters near you that actually make exhausts or back boxes?, some are very good.

?

Do you have the car yet?

Not that I'm aware of, but I'll definitely take a look. I don't have the car yet, still a few weeks away. Dealer said yesterday it won't land here for another 10 days. 

As I said earlier, to make it look anything like good, you would need to cut a piece out of the diffuser. 

Just make sure it's a neat job and leave the exhaust on when you hand it back. 

Just now, Damo said:

As I said earlier, to make it look anything like good, you would need to cut a piece out of the diffuser. 

Just make sure it's a neat job and leave the exhaust on when you hand it back. 

Fair enough, you think the dealership would go crazy at me for doing it though? Haha.

23 minutes ago, Lemto said:

Fair enough, you think the dealership would go crazy at me for doing it though? Haha.

I've been looking online, there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket rear diffuser with exhaust cut out, however, I would be tempted to just purchase one in order to cut it, but they're quite pricey and I don't know if it's worth the hassle.

Just now, Damo said:

Just do what I did with my last car.

Take it to a Powerflow dealer or similar, and they will cut out the required section when they fit the back box. 

Is there any specific reason you chose Powerflow dealer? I'm not sure if there is any in my country. Did you choose them because they are 'Skoda Certified' or something? 

I've used them a few times, they are experts. 40 different tailpipes to choose from, always been spot on with fitment and finish.

Not Skoda approved no, but quality work. 

Here is my last car with a section cut out to accommodate the tailpipes.

looked factory fitted!IMAG1100.thumb.jpg.69a099769286354ba647fb5f393450b9.jpg

• Like 1

Lemto,

Would it not have been better & cheaper to buy / lease a sporty car rather than spending hundreds tarting up a Mk3 Fabia you will not own?

Handing back a modified car even with just a change of back box might pass many 'examiners' at end of lease but not all.

Edited by Awayoffski

21 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Lemto,

Would it not have been better & cheaper to buy / lease a sporty car rather than spending hundreds tarting up a Mk3 Fabia you will not own?

Handing back a modified car even with just a change of back box might pass many 'examiners' at end of lease but not all.

Honestly, the reason I chose the Monte Carlo is because it looked nicer than the normal Fabia that my Aunt (who is helping with payments) wanted me to get. That's why I didn't choose a "sporty car". After all, I'm only 19, and it's a massive deal for me to have my first new car. In all honesty, I probably won't be spending hundreds "tarting" it up, all I really want is a nice sounding exhaust; as I said before, when I get the car I may end up feeling like an exhaust isn't really necessary. I've just started this thread so I know my options if I decide to do so. 

Understood.

So being 19 just be sure that the Insurer is happy with even cosmetic changes such as a non factory standard exhaust back box, be that a different tail pipe or hidden and only you would know.

(even if not a performance enhancer it can be an issue if the car ever needed examined.)

• Like 1

Understood.

So being 19 just be sure that the Insurer is happy with even cosmetic changes such as a non factory standard exhaust back box, be that a different tail pipe or hidden and only you would know.

(even if not a performance enhancer it can be an issue if the car ever needed examined.)

Thanks for being understanding, I was expecting a patronising answer; I appreciate it. It should be okay, but I'll definitely look into all of that when I get the car. I'm hoping the fact that it's a new car won't increase my insurance premium by too much, but it probably will. If it's a lot, then I'll probably have to reconsider modifying the car at all. 

I can't wait to keep you guys documented on this whole thing, hopefully, it'll help someone like me who doesn't know what to do.

• Like 1

Could or would any modifications affect the warranty in any way?

Edited by RickW

33 minutes ago, RickW said:

Could or would any modifications affect the warranty in any way?

What I've come to believe is that if you modify the car, the dealership will try and tie any problems the may arise to that modification. In all honesty, though, I'd expect Skoda's new cars to be very reliable, considering I currently have a 15-year-old VW Polo, which I added a new exhaust to, there haven't been any major engine problems. That's the way I'm rationalising it in my head if and when I choose to modify my new Skoda. 

This may not have helped you, apologies! But I'm sure someone here could help you.

On the back of Lemto's message I have heard that the only way modifications would invalidate your warranty is if the dealer can prove said modification has caused the fault you have, I couldn't imagine an exhaust mod causing any problems tbh unless you decat the middle section which may cause a fault light to come on. Say if you chipped it on the other hand and had an engine fault then they would have you by nackers on the warranty.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lemto said:

Could anyone tell me if the Fabia RS rear diffuser would fit on a Monte Carlo? They look very similar. 

fabia-be2-rear-bumper-with-diffuser-rs-01.jpg

That is the MK2 VRS and you are getting a MK3 MC so i dont think so....

Just now, martinjell said:

Okay... The diffuser just looks very similar to the Monte Carlo's that's why I asked. Thanks though.

14 minutes ago, martinjell said:

Just looking at photo's of mine and it does look very similar, it might be worth measuring them both to see if it will fit. 

car.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martinjell said:

Just looking at photo's of mine and it does look very similar, it might be worth measuring them both to see if it will fit. 

car.jpg

Going to be hard to find dimensions of it unless someone on this site has them! I really hope it fits, it may simplify a pain.

1 hour ago, Lemto said:

Going to be hard to find dimensions of it unless someone on this site has them! I really hope it fits, it may simplify a pain.

the mk2 rear diffuser is also matt black and not gloss black and will not fit an mk3 , why not go to a custom exhaust fabricators and get them to cut the diffuser for you or why not keep it standard, its brand new? i would only ever consider modding a car i owned outright and wasnt brand spanking new i would enjoy the car before wanting to upgrade you never know you may like it standard ?

• Like 1

Lemto, do you know when the car was ordered and when the build date is? I am very interested to know if you going to get the 1 litre 3 cylinder version of the 90, which is more powerful than the 1.2 90. Also want to know what it sounds like. If you are getting the 3 cylinder engine, everything I have said about the engine is wrong because I have the 1.2 4 cylinder version. I wish I had an aunt like yours. Also, I ripped off the dealer sticker from the rear window and I the dealer did not notice, it was peeling off anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SoupDragon said:

Lemto, do you know when the car was ordered and when the build date is? I am very interested to know if you going to get the 1 litre 3 cylinder version of the 90, which is more powerful than the 1.2 90. Also want to know what it sounds like. If you are getting the 3 cylinder engine, everything I have said about the engine is wrong because I have the 1.2 4 cylinder version. I wish I had an aunt like yours. Also, I ripped off the dealer sticker from the rear window and I the dealer did not notice, it was peeling off anyway.

I'm not sure when the build date is but the dealer said a couple of days ago the car won't land for another 10 days. I'm pretty sure it's the 1.2 90 (I'm thinking that because the dealer maybe put my age and insurance into consideration) but I really hope it's the 110. Yes she's brilliant, I'm extremely grateful. Great, I'll definitely be taking my dealership sticker off! When I get the car I'll try and post how it sounds etc. And what the actual spec is.

If it's 10 days the car will probably already at Emden or at least left that's the normal lead time for English cars to arrive a t dealer 

Not sure when they travel to Ireland what the lead time for that is arriving at Irish port

(guessing they go all the way round not dock in UK and transport overland to west side then over Irish sea ) 

• Like 1