Camping in the Lake District

MillsyVRS

Myself and 4 friends were thinking about going camping in the Lake District in a couple of months time. I'm sat on the fence about the idea for a few reasons.

Could someone please sell it to me, and explain the fun in camping and what sort of things you do while you're away? Apart from lots of walking maybe? 

I last went camping around.. 16 or so years ago when I was about 8, with the cub Scouts, and I'm not against the idea but I just want to find out a bit more about it before we book things! Hopefully someone has been camping to the LD and can advise. 

Thank you! :)

Whereabouts in the Lakes are you looking at? There are loads of places to go & things to do, just depends on what you like doing.

Places like Keswick & Ambleside have plenty of shops, pubs & places to eat/drink.

I'm not sure to be honest yet! The idea is in its early stages, and I know a lot of people go and love it but I just don't know anything about it! 

Im worried I/we won't have much to do and it will be a waste of money but also gettingna case of FOMO! :D

24 minutes ago, MillsyVRS said:

I'm not sure to be honest yet! The idea is in its early stages, and I know a lot of people go and love it but I just don't know anything about it! 

Im worried I/we won't have much to do and it will be a waste of money but also gettingna case of FOMO! :D

I suggest camping near the bigger towns then. Plenty to do & places to visit, beautiful scenery, shops, etc.

You can hire bikes & go for ride further afield or hire a rowing boat on one of the lakes.

Depends on what flicks your switch.

We visit the Lakes at least twice year, although haven't been camping there for a while.

Some campsites don't let big groups of lads on, as they usually get ****ed up & cause a disturbance.

There are campsites which are in the middle of no where, so you can just chill out, take in the scenery or go for a walk.

Beware though, if going out for the day, the weather can change quickly!

Some sites might be iffy about a group of all blokes, if that's involved. (At least 10 years ago anyway).

Not having a tv, internet, mobile reception suddenly made me realise how long a day is. Just being outside - especially somewhere remote - with your tent, food, sleeping bag etc. feels different and nice and encourages talking. Especially on the coast for someone who normally never sees the sea. If it's a busy campsite, maybe it's more like being in a hotel but with not so good facilities. Maybe if you're gregarious a busy site is good though.

Thanks for the replies so far! It's not actually going to be all lads, there would be 2 guys and 3 girls. So really would be a relaxed kind of thing, no getting smashed and annoying other people! 

I guess I'd be hoping to take in some scenery and fresh air by foot or two wheels and possibly any water sports if possible? (Would be happy with hiring a pedalo or row boat also!)

Do most campsites come with things like showers etc, I'm guessing? 

And if it does rain are you sort of stuck or would you suggest just getting on with it anyway?

Edited by MillsyVRS

6 minutes ago, MillsyVRS said:

Thanks for the replies so far! It's not actually going to be all lads, there would be 2 guys and 3 girls. So really would be a relaxed kind of thing, no getting smashed and annoying other people! 

I guess I'd be hoping to take in some scenery and fresh air by foot or two wheels and possibly any water sports if possible? (Would be happy with hiring a pedalo or row boat also!)

Do most campsites come with things like showers etc, I'm guessing? 

And if it does rain are you sort of stuck or would you suggest just getting on with it anyway?

Most campsites have showers, etc.

Some have a cafe on site for a cuppa & a bit of brekkie.

As the saying goes "There's no such thing as bad weather in the Lakes........ Just bad clothing!"

Go and do it, you'll enjoy it! My advice is get as close to Keswick as you can. You can hire kayaks etc at derwent marina and rowboats on derwent water foreshore. Keswick also has loads to do, i.e. Decent pubs for food and drinks, loads of good walks and a few bike hire shops, also just outside Keswick is whinlatter which has decent mountain bike trails. Most decent camp sites have full wash facilities. 

I'm less than 20 miles from Keswick so if you need a hand with anything just give me a shout.

6 hours ago, mdon said:

Go and do it, you'll enjoy it! My advice is get as close to Keswick as you can. You can hire kayaks etc at derwent marina and rowboats on derwent water foreshore. Keswick also has loads to do, i.e. Decent pubs for food and drinks, loads of good walks and a few bike hire shops, also just outside Keswick is whinlatter which has decent mountain bike trails. Most decent camp sites have full wash facilities. 

I'm less than 20 miles from Keswick so if you need a hand with anything just give me a shout.

That sounds good! I'm not sure about the others, but personally I just want there to be plenty to do like the things you've mentioned above.

We're going to try and work out the costs of everything but I presume camping is relatively inexpensive? I appreciate it depends how much you do and where you are, but a couple of members of the group are wanting to stick to a budget. I think we may have a family members to borrow tents from and I know there's a camping stove type thing which has never been used in the garage somewhere, but other than that everything will have to be bought. Believe one the group has a few camping chairs too. 

You'd do all the things you'd normally do in a hotel/B&B, except you sleep in a tent, really...
Get up, do breakfast, hop in car and go drive to wherever you're going boating, riding, walking, museuming, shopping, etc...

Difference is there's no TV/internet so you get to actually interface with people, sit around and talk, play games and all that, maybe go down a pub or something. It's also something like £30 per tent per week, rather than £110 per night.

I dunno how to sell it, really, as I've been doing this stuff all my life. It's just what I do...

• Like 1

MillsyVRS,

Try a night under canvas locally first with these friends.

Maybe get a B&B in Blackpool and go for road trips to the Lake District & even the Peak District..

That is unless you really do fancy Glamping in the Lake District.

Have some of the mates got all the gear and an idea?

Or,

Hire a Motor Home and have fun, Lake District or Yorkshire Dales.

Edited by Awayoffski

Some tips to consider:

- Check the tent fully before you go. Make sure it's in top condition and you know how to put it up. Practice this if you like.
 - Get a decent sleeping bag. Summer days can become mighty chilly nights.
 - Consider a rollmat or lightweight inflatable matress. Maybe a little pillow, unless you're happy using a bag/rucksack.
 - Get a little camp kettle and take a hot water bottle, just in case.
 - Take a deck of cards and maybe a couple of those little travel games.
 - Get one of those wind-up radios if you can.
 - Take a torch. Take spare batteries. Take a spare torch, if you can, maybe one of those little LED keyring types that you can keep on you at all times.  
 - Take a pack of hand sanitiser wipes or gel.
 - Have clothing for all weathers - Mainly cold, warm and wet. Include a hat that you can wear in bed.
 - Insect repellant and sunscreen are your friends.
 - Take a few meals' worth of food that can be eaten hot or cold. Things like those tins of All Day Breakfast are pretty good and cheaper than Wayfarer type camping meals.

As for the rest, most things can be found in the nearby shops and a quick Google will reveal the plethora of things to do, both locally and around the District in general. The wife loves it and we've been going up there for about five years... I still haven't even been through half of it!!

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, kirasmart said:

I seem to be looking for the same recommendations here. Me and my partner are looking for somewhere to go camping for a few days in the summer. We would like it to be somewhere where we can go on nice walks around the lakes, although close to a pub/restaurant as we do not really want to cook.  I found some useful tips on travelsites.com, though any real world experiences are welcome and appreciated.

I ended up going here:

http://www.watersidefarm-campsite.co.uk/camping/

could not recommend it enough. Good, clean facilities and absolutely stunning surroundings and scenery. Walking distance to a nice pub that did nice food and had board games to play, plenty of good walks to do etc. It was beautiful and we hired boats to go on the lake that we were just metres away from. Rained like nothing I’ve seen before on the first day and a bit on the second, but after that the sun came out and it was perfect. Definitely look it up. Hell of a long drive, but definitely worth it.

• Like 2

Last trip up that part of world was on a re rail job near Penrith. One thing that came to mind was the gangs of blokes with mozzy nets on heads to defeat the local midgies. Coming from a lot further north and being used to the Highland variety, I was immune. But be aware that southern folks are midgie fodder in late summer. Especially near water.

In my earlier days I've camped, later years caravans. Both in a similar way can be great if the weather is good, although more civilized in a caravan. One lasting memory of the Lakes are the midge bites, little blighters, hope I haven't put you off.

We are off to Scotland this May armed with Avon so soft, been before but didn't need it, the midges stayed away, we do b&b's now, we enjoy a little comfort now in our 60's.

Mick- Avon has been recommended  for Southerners in northern Scotland. It depends on time of year when you go as any time I've returned in past few years has been early Summer( before English school holidays)  and all has been well, Highland midges love to welcome me home. so you may ( pun intended) be OK.  I used to fishing in the hill lochs & lochans ( small lochs) as a teenager and August (from memory ) was the problem time. Interestingly, my old retired 80 year old Gran dad had no problems . But having spent decades in open boats in the Minch weather his skin was like leather.

4 hours ago, VWD said:

Mick- Avon has been recommended  for Southerners in northern Scotland. It depends on time of year when you go as any time I've returned in past few years has been early Summer( before English school holidays)  and all has been well, Highland midges love to welcome me home. so you may ( pun intended) be OK.  I used to fishing in the hill lochs & lochans ( small lochs) as a teenager and August (from memory ) was the problem time. Interestingly, my old retired 80 year old Gran dad had no problems . But having spent decades in open boats in the Minch weather his skin was like leather.

What I have gleaned from my searches on the subject (midges) they like warm still air to start being a nuisance, if warm and breezy they will be less of a problem. Of course they like wooded areas too so be prepared if camping walking etc.

So on our tour of Scotland two years ago we we all prepared for the midges, not one bite, but.........

After travelling from Dumfries up the West coast taking in all the usual places and heading for Inverness we took on the NC500, the whole route and ended our holiday in Edinburgh. It was in Edinburgh that the midges got me, not too bad though we were ok with the rest of Scotland, maybe it was the breezy but warm weather??

Edinburgh midges- I've never had any problems. But like the folks in the West Coast, we tend to look on them with suspicion(I'm a west coast lad, so I always get wary of those folk from the East, unless they talk with a northern accent):blink: