First service and oil change

laserburn

Hi, folks! Next week I will take my Citigo for its first service, no problem with it during the first year, I hope it continues the same way.

Skoda manual prescribes motor oil change after every year or 10000 km, whichever comes first. I've driven only about 7300 km and I'm thinking changing the oil right now sounds wasteful, especially considering that spent motor oil is quite a pollutant. But then again, since all my driving was done in the city, with a lot of stop and go, maybe the motor has had more wear than the mileage shows, so changing the oil early might be for the better.

I've found conflicting opinions on this matter, what do you think?

In the UK that is 372 days or 9,400 (10,000) miles so 15,000 km for fixed servicing.   

It is up to you if you follow Service Schedule / Guidelines and keep your Manufacturers Warranty Valid.

You do not do enough miles annually to have Variable Servicing @ 2 years.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

Edited by Awayoffski

Doing such a low mileage in a year suggests that most of your journeys are short?

Any journey where the coolant and oil don't get up to operating temperature (at all, or not for long) causes more rapid oil deterioration than longer journeys would.

So if anything, you should consider servicing/changing oil more often than the suggested intervals, if you wish the engine to last a long time.

Waste oil is reprocessed into fuel oil or other petrochemical products, not just dumped, as far as I know?

18 minutes ago, Wino said:

Doing such a low mileage in a year suggests that most of your journeys are short?

Any journey where the coolant and oil don't get up to operating temperature (at all, or not for long) causes more rapid oil deterioration than longer journeys would.

So if anything, you should consider servicing/changing oil more often than the suggested intervals, if you wish the engine to last a long time.

I travel 14 km to and from work each workday, which takes me 40 to 70 minutes twice a day, depending on the traffic. Since I'm renting anyway, I should really relocate closer to work, but I've lived in this neighborhood for 10 years and a lot of my friends live nearby. Climate here is much warmer than in UK, so engine probably reaches optimal temperature faster.

Edited by laserburn

I would just change the oil, by the sounds of all the sitting in traffic you do your car engine has probably done the same amount of running hours as a car with double the mileage.

3 hours ago, RickW said:

A £149 oil change in my case :blink:

I was quoted £139, said that some on here were paying less than £100 and the reply was..."oh, OK, how about £90 then?"....the prices quoted are Skoda's MAXIMUM price - the dealer is free to charge as little as you can negotiate!

Had a service done this morning, well basically just the oil change, paid 73 euros.

One thing that surprised me is that they put in motor oil that's good for 7500 km, I sort of expected 10k km oil, since that would correspond to Skoda's  service intervals (and this is official Skoda's sales and service point).

Oil should be at least VW 502 00, if not VW 503 00.

For city driving 7500 km is good interval for oil change. But here in Finland oil needs to be changed every 15 000 km, even though we have quite harsh winter. Something to think about. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I took my 75 bhp Elegance in for its' 2 year Service today: & as I'm TOTALLY disenchanted with the service provided by the Main Dealer/Stealer, I used a local Independent.    Instead of the quoted £270+, it cost me just over £86 (& of that, £14+ was the Popes' telephone number) so I was well pleased.    I watched the mechanic in action, for the majority of the 50+ minutes that he spent on checking everything, and was MOST impressed.   To anyone living in the general area of Hull/Beverley (even around York, the trip would be both economically viable & worthwhile) I can thoroughly recommended this garage.

Yippee!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Hi RickW,

The garage from which I bought my little Tonka Toy was (seemingly like all most garages) taking the PI DOUBLE S & charging an unbelievable £140+ - which is ridiculous, because all it really involves is an oil & filter change (+ some totally irrelevant info which probably takes them some 30 seconds to check, & which you are probably well aware of yourself).   Irrespective of what impression they may like to give you, they complete the work in less than one hour, so there's no question of removing the wheels to check the brakes etc, etc.

I got the first 2 Services FOC, as a sop for buying my current car,but on my previous Citigo, & after shelling out mega dinero for the 1st Service, I took it to a local garage (who carried out EXACTLY the same work) but only charged me around £70 - & this DOES NOT invalidate the Warranty PROVIDING VW-specified oil/filter are used.     These Services are little more than a means of the Agent recouping some of the cost of their Showroom & Staff, so DO NOT let yourself be sucked in.   Do your homework & then shop around for an acceptable price.  Service No. 1 is no more than an oil & filter change (& the second Service isn't that much more involved).    ENJOY your cracking little car, but DON'T be fleeced, as there simply IS NOT a paper Service record any more - it's all "computerised" now!

• Thanks 1

It's worth reading this: https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/servicing-maintenance-fixed-price

I had an argument with my dealer over him wanting to charge me £169 for the oil change service on my Fabia, I paid £99 after I showed him this.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Peter.

Did it go on the Skoda computer as a service I wonder?.

Is it still seen as a full service history with Skoda if opting just for the £99 oil change?

Edited by RickW

6 minutes ago, RickW said:

Thanks Peter.

Did it go on the Skoda computer as a service I wonder.

It it still seen as a full service history with Skoda if opting just for the £99 oil change?

I have the service printout, it shows as oil change service, which is what it was due to have.

Maybe they try to sell more expensive VW504 00 long life oil? Which is not needed for fixed service intervals (for Citigo). 

Edited by Emil

The expense is a few pence a liter and the VW 504 00 5w 30 FS LL is sitting in bulk for used in Fixed or Variable servicing .

Some service desk staff even say they do not have VW502 00 5w 40 FS and never use it.

As it is now but not for Up!MiiCitigo they should all have in VW508/509 0w20 FS LL in Bull and for Retail in Containers as well as the usual.

?

Have Skoda / VW at the VW Production factory now been filling with engines with VW508/509 to acheive the WLTP results required and published.

Obviously even with that they were never going to get acceptable results with a 1.0 MPI ASG.

Edited by Skoffski

3 hours ago, Emil said:

Maybe they try to sell more expensive VW504 00 long life oil? Which is not needed for fixed service intervals (for Citigo). 

They used the long life oil in mine for the £99.

I think it's the dealers who promote the idea that somehow our cars will lose more value if we don't do everything they tell us to regarding servicing.

If it's not on their computer then our cars are worth a lot less and it's a haggling point at trade in time.

They are trained to deceive.

I would pay more for a car which has full dealer service history. Most likely it has latest software updates. But how much more is hard to say. 

• Like 1

What 'Full Main Dealer Servicing Histories' shows or can is the Servicing was carried out, it can show that Dealership do not service to Manufacturers Guidelines, Recommendations, or even schedules.

Brake fluid not changed, or DSG, Haldex Systems etc unless a Customer is paying extra and maybe they are not told about these Schedules or Guidelines.

Even cars Serviced under a Service Plan might just have Minor and Major servicing so have FMDSH yet not servicing to Manufacturers Guidelines or Recommended Schedules.

• Haha 1