SmartLink - yes or no?

Karlis_Z

Hi!

Do you have any experience on using SmartLink and do you think this is an option worth investing when purchasing a Yeti? According to dealers price list it costs 140 EUR.

I am using navigation app "Waze" on my smartphone and having it display on the Bolero screen would be great however I am not entirely sure if this is possible at the moment. If it is just about simple functions like music and phone functionality that will be mirrored on infotainment screen then I could live with the basic Bluetooth functionality just as well.

I was in this position and ultimately I decided it wasn't worth the cost for my usage, especially as the functionality is there already and just locked out with software. I couldn't justify the cost for the flicking of a virtual switch! Maybe if I'd a better use for it than just having it for the sake of it I would have paid it. Then mines on PCH so it'll be going back at the end of the term.

If a lot of your driving involves the possibility of getting stuck in traffic or you use sat nav regularly then yes it's worth it for that alone.

Google maps saves me so much time with the Live traffic and the voice search is excellent no need for a post code or even an address most of the time when searching for business premises 

On top of that you also get to use music apps if you subscribe to spotify or Amazon etc. 

I find Android Auto that good I've been looking at buying an aftermarket Android Auto head unit for our Octavia.

Lee

As Lee says above Google maps, Android Auto, is very useful, the voice controls even during the drive are great, e.g., what's the weather at your destination?

Guest FurryFriend

I agree with anlygi. It's far too pricey for what it is. Maybe at half the price I'd consider it, but not at £100+.

Okay it's expensive but how else are you going to get it? In that it makes your Bolero screen into your Smartphone screen so you have any mapping app you want available as well as your music library, all voice controlled then it's still good value. Go for it.

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts!

Am I right to say that there are only certain apps which are SmartLink/Apple CarPlay compatible? I would assume that not any random application can be shown/operated on Bolero screen. I am especially interested in Waze for which I would pay the extra as I use it constantly for navigation.

I added it to my order initially, then looked at some reviews and decided at the moment it is a waste of money for myself so removed it.

It can be enabled by the dealer later at same cost so can always be added later, unlike hardware which needs to be included in the build.

Assuming you are using an Android phone then you can have access to any app provided it is compatible with driving safely. Smartlink Android limits app availability whilst driving to such things as maps, and Waze of course, and things like music which you can control by voice. I was surprised I couldn't  "see" my entire music library on the screen, just about 13 of recently played tracks, however, your entire library is available by voice command. On investigation I found that this is inherent in AndroidAuto as a safety feature to prevent you taking your eyes off the road while you scroll through dozens of Albums or tracks, all you need to do is touch the "voice" icon then say "play ABC", ABC being whatever track you want from your entire library. Similarly to use your Mapping just touch the "voice" icon and say where you want to go and the system does the rest. It all works a treat. I find that I use Google maps because it is easier than the Amundsen SAtNav built into my Yeti. Mind you I still prefer my standalone Garmin to any system. 

Unfortunately Waze is still not supported on CarPlay as I am using iPhone at the moment (and plan to use in the future). Hope both companies will settle their argument and think about end-users so Waze can be enabled.

I would pay for Waze 100% but without it SmartLink has little importance to me. As apparently I can add the option later then no need to stress at the moment.

Waze is fine with Android Auto. However Android Auto is limited to Android smartphones if I am right.

As I am using iPhone (and will use in the future) then I would be having the setup of SmartLink pairing up with Apple CarPlay if I am not mistaken which causes the issue with Waze as it is not supported by Apple as probably they want to enforce usage of their maps.

Only option for you is to get cheap Android smartphone if you want to use Waze as your main navigation aid. There are some really cheap deals for SIM's and coupled with a second hand smartphone off eBay shouldn't be an expensive option.

Hey guys just seen this post and wanted to confirm a few things in case someone does decide to splash out on smart link.  Waze does not work with android auto as yet, nor is it compatable with mirror link or iPhone carplay.

There is however a beta due to be released shortly for android auto for Waze itself as only last month AA had an update which enabled an additional maps app selection screen.  But as yet that beta is not live for Waze so I wouldn't hold my breath for it anytime soon.

But Google maps does work exceptionally well on AA and have had no issues with it understanding me through voice commands even with my harsh Scots accent :D

There has been pressure to release a Waze version compatible with AA for some time particularly after a 'version' was shown over a year ago at some conference.  Long time coming but could be worth having when it's released.  waze does support the speed camera database from Pocket GPS World.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, dag1986 said:

if you are using Android auto and navigating with Google Maps, do you still get the directions come up on the driver dash?

If you mean on the maxidot screen between the clocks then no.

I have been told by a dealership, that my vehicle is compatible withe Smartlink and quoted a price.But Skoda Customer Services say it is not.

Is there a way for me to check myself for compatibility.

get the dealership to install it and pay if it works? if it doesn't they can argue with skoda it is a software change and what you pay for is a license or they do if it doesn't work

Ordered a car from stock and the dealer has added the cost of smartlink to the base price there was no mention of smartlink when i did the deal only found out when i queried the base cost.

Would It be reasonable for me to decline the smarlink and reduce my cost?

I have smartlink on my Fabia and its fantastic. Just ordered a yeti (wifes) and having seen mine we had it put on as part of the deal. It IS worth every penny of the £150

Yes the Yeti has build in Sat Nav but on flick of the voice connection button and you can ask google to play music, find music, read texts, dictate texts and navigate to ......well anywhere. all without your hands leaving the sterring wheel or moving your head.

I have yet to find a single person who has seen smartlink used in my Fabia say thats a waste of money or a rubbish feature!!! Infact a few of my friends with higher spec cars eg Land Rover Sport and Audis have not got this as standard and went WOW!!!

If your still unsure ask the dealer to demonstrate and I am sure you will be tempted.

Hope this helps

Edited by berr0010
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Going to Thomson and Potter in Perth next week to see if Smartlink can be activated.

Do I give Skoda Customer Service a blast if it works, or do I eat humble pie and admit they were right all along.

I have changed my mind and am having this enabled on my new car, which the dealer can do, as it may be quite useful.

Apparently on special offer and can currently be unlocked for £136.

Presumably it is there on all recent cars, and is either enabled or not in the software.

• Thanks 1