does sport setting of Drive mode sharpen throttle response 150 TDI

Hi all a little help on this one please for those who have drive mode on their SEL or L&K

Test drove a new S3 today although an SE as they did not have an SEL in to test drive, I felt the car a bit laggy to what I would expect and use to. I then went to test drive a equivalent engine in the Passat and felt throttle response was more sharp with what felt better acceleration more to my taste tbh and the salesman told me that it was in sport mode setting in drive mode selection.

For those with the with drive mode fitted could you tell me if there is a notable difference between setting normal mode and that of sports mode.

Thanks in advance

Edited by kezwald

I can't answer specifically for the 150 TDi but yes there is a much livelier response to the throttle response in the Sport drive mode.

However it changes everything to Sport mode, including stiffening suspension, sharpening steering input, among others, which you probably won't want enabled all the time just for the improved throttle.

There is an Individual drive mode but there is no separate option for adjusting just the throttle response.

Many, myself included, have resorted to fitting a 'pedal box' which dramatically improves throttle response. Not a cheap item at £170 but a small layout in relation to the overall cost of the car and IMHO worth every penny.

There is also the "Audi" throttle response setting in VCDS or ODBeleven, which apparently improves response, but not as much as a pedal box, I believe. I haven't tried It yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillyJim said:

I can't answer specifically for the 150 TDi but yes there is a much livelier response to the throttle response in the Sport drive mode.

However it changes everything to Sport mode, including stiffening suspension, sharpening steering input, among others, which you probably won't want enabled all the time just for the improved throttle.

There is an Individual drive mode but there is no separate option for adjusting just the throttle response.

Many, myself included, have resorted to fitting a 'pedal box' which dramatically improves throttle response. Not a cheap item at £170 but a small layout in relation to the overall cost of the car and IMHO worth every penny.

Yes there is a Option under Individual... its under Engine... that doesn't give you more Horsepower but changes the Throttle response. You can set Eco,Normal,Sport

If you get the Adaptive Dampers - DCC then you can adjust it here too

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Blindek

16 minutes ago, Blindek said:

Yes there is a Option under Individual... its under Engine... that doesn't give you more Horsepower but changes the Throttle response. You can set Eco,Normal,Sport

Not on my MY16... DCC (ride),Steering, Drive (DSG mode), ACC, Dynamic Cornering Light, Air Conditioning, and Reset, but no 'Engine'.

For a 2.0TDI 150bhp Manual..... ECO mode only provides around 75% (approx) of the BHP power.

When you press the accelerator, its travels the full way until it stops, if you press slightly harder you feel a click/notch (feels like a kick down click) and then you get a few more mm's of travel on the pedal.

In ECO mode, you get approx 75% of the power to the click/notch.. If you press through the click you get full power.

In Normal or Sport mode, you get 100% of the power to the click/notch.

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

Neither setting "Engine" to "Sport", nor setting the "Audi" setting via VCDS makes any appreciable difference to ours - throttle response is still dire!

If it was my car (not the wife's) I'd get one of those pedal boxes.

(Car is a 150 manual 4x4)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, muddyboots said:

Neither setting "Engine" to "Sport", nor setting the "Audi" setting via VCDS makes any appreciable difference to ours - throttle response is still dire!

If it was my car (not the wife's) I'd get one of those pedal boxes.

(Car is a 150 manual 4x4)

Has anyone tried one on the 150?  I'm interested to know if it makes a noticeable/significant difference.  

10 hours ago, BillyJim said:

Not on my MY16... DCC (ride),Steering, Drive (DSG mode), ACC, Dynamic Cornering Light, Air Conditioning, and Reset, but no 'Engine'.

Or on my MY17, but I wonder whether Engine is the manual gearbox version of Drive?

• 3 weeks later...

Just been reading this thread as I have a Superb Sportline 150 DSG and I have to say the throttle peddle response is terrible, I also have a mk2 vrs Octavia and I was shocked how bad the Sportline felt even in Sport mode. Result:- pedalbox fitted and what a difference. Now the car feels alive, responsive, and how it should have been from the factory. Yes the settings need some fine tuning to get it exactly the way you want it ( not kicking down all the time) but when you have it set it puts a big smile on my face. I can honestly say this should be a must for any Superb driver, worth every penny and so quick to fit, 5mins flat, just unplug original, plug in the pedalbox and go have some fun.

Thanks all for your replies

As  said the Passat in sports mode felt loads better than the same engine in the Superb, so will try sports mode first just for comparison then probably opt for the peddle box from dtuk anyway, also thinking of the tuning box with car having 3yrs warranty

Sorry to sound Dim, but what is a Pedal Box & where to do you get them from ?

16 minutes ago, tisca said:

Sorry to sound Dim, but what is a Pedal Box & where to do you get them from ?

What?

A small controller that plugs into the connector located at the top of the accelerator pedal that intercepts and alters the accelerator input resulting in a more dynamic response from the engine.

Where?

DTE Pedal Box

RaceChip Response Control

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BillyJim said:

What?

A small controller that plugs into the connector located at the top of the accelerator pedal that intercepts and alters the accelerator input resulting in a more dynamic response from the engine.

Where?

DTE Pedal Box

RaceChip Response Control

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/ as said before customer service has the edge on the others from past experience with my Saab and others on here

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I’m another Pedal Box fan, fitted the Plus version on my 2016 L&k 150 and its like having a different car. Ok the £199 asking price was heavy but I can promise you’ll forget that in the first hour of fitting (which only took 10min). 

380A7C45-E7B2-4B68-A4CA-7A4C1D529229.jpeg

before gismo did the audi mod on mine it felt like there was a dead spot on the pedal for the first 1.5 to 2 inches of travel but after the mod had been applied its reduced to .5 inch. with the dsg its now much smoother when starting off. 

I no longer press the pedal and wait for the car to move, it moves instantly ( before whilst waiting I would press the pedal more and the car would suddenly jerk away) this has transformed the car.

22 hours ago, jeehi said:

before gismo did the audi mod on mine it felt like there was a dead spot on the pedal for the first 1.5 to 2 inches of travel but after the mod had been applied its reduced to .5 inch. with the dsg its now much smoother when starting off. 

I no longer press the pedal and wait for the car to move, it moves instantly ( before whilst waiting I would press the pedal more and the car would suddenly jerk away) this has transformed the car.

Gizmo done the same upgrade to mine about 2 months and agree it transformed the car... but the pedalbox is another level jeehi :-)

3 hours ago, Latestarter said:

Gizmo done the same upgrade to mine about 2 months and agree it transformed the car... but the pedalbox is another level jeehi :-)

to some it probably is but my car now drives like any other car I have owned and I am happy with it. I've used the £200 to get the rear boot spoiler!