Tyres for Mk3

6 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Oversizing isn't an issue

You'll love the rim protection on the crossclimate, you've literally got try very hard to curb an alloy.

TMWNA, could you please put up a pic of one of your Michelin CCs so I can see the rim protection?

I'm very tempted to get a set (live in the Mendips Hills) for my new (to me) vRS but was planning to stick with GY F1 Assy 3s in part because of their excellent rim protection - Mrs Dunc loves a kerb!

Cheers,

Dunc

2 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Ok it,ll be tomorrow lunch time now though

No rush - thanks bud! 

To be fair, the Michelin PS4 lip looks just as big

Might be something they've doing with their range but, not actually thought to advertise it publicly.

Not sure this wether this will help me with wider rubber on standard wheels or not TBH

I've had the factory fitted Michelin Primacy 3 (1st 14k)  & Continental Sports Contact 5's (2nd 10k) & these are slightly better than the MP3 but, not near the CSC5's for outright speed cornering.  However, the CC is progressive in the way it lets go hence, its very easy to drive at the limits without them trying to kill you.

Done about 7k on these so far & there is still 5mm left on the fronts, back are 8 or 9mm so, I'd say their probably slightly quicker wearing than the MP3. My tyre wear rates are most likely very different to yours but, it should give you some kinda comparison. Noise wise the CC are the quietest 

They are a compromise but, if your concerned about snowfall & don't want winter wheels/tyres they are probably it right now & as we approach summer there could be some deals around

Edited by themanwithnoaim
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Yep, you'd be amazed at how many millions of people there are out there who don't understand the basic concept that it doesn't matter how many bhp your engine puts out, how fast it goes from 0-62mph or how fast the top speed is........everything comes down to those four bits of rubber that keep you in contact with the road.

It's that simple.

Yes and I'd extend that to 4x4 versions as well. Having for a period a few years ago gone over to winter/summer tyre sets on a VW California camper, I never found my way back to just summer tyres due to the massively improved traction in winter and on slightly off-road surfaces by winter tyres.

At the same time, didn't have room to store an extra set of tyres and was finding the cost of storage & changeover prohibitive.

Now have settled on Nokian Weatherproof all-season tyres on my 65 reg. dsg Scout ... after all, 4x2 or 4x4, wheel spin due to loss of grip is wheel spin, as is loss of grip for aquaplaning.  Very happy to sacrifice a little summer dry weather grip for superb allround performance over the past 18K miles.

Edited by MikeM46
Update

Woooooaaahhhh the tyres are amazing! 

Look amazing. 

SUPER quiet. 

Less bumps going over road. 

Possible (TBD) economy increase.

Feels like driving a cloud...! Steering is responsive, feels light but at the same time you know it's grippy. Very luxurious feel. 

Also, if you try to floor it, it's almost like it holds you back just a smidge, but in a good way. I think "progressive" was used to describe this?

Early days yet but WHAT a difference. SERIOUS wows...!!

4 minutes ago, guitarman001 said:

Look amazing. 

SUPER quiet. 

Feels like driving a cloud...! Steering is responsive, feels light but at the same time you know it's grippy. Very luxurious feel. 

Also, if you try to floor it, it's almost like it holds you back just a smidge, but in a good way. I think "progressive" was used to describe this?

A success then?  ;-)

Pleased you are happy with them.  

Good tyres make such a huge difference. 

On 2017年5月16日 at 19:10, guitarman001 said:

Look amazing. 

SUPER quiet. 

cc or good year grip u talking about?

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎05‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 14:54, Auric Goldfinger said:

I'm thinking about these when the Pirelli P Zero's need replacing

I just completed my first full tank on the Conti's after getting the car back from the wife.

Pretty impressed with the road noise from them & my fuel economy for the last tank was 55mpg which is the top end of the average when I've been driving the car.

2 hours ago, Gabbo said:

I just completed my first full tank on the Conti's after getting the car back from the wife.

Pretty impressed with the road noise from them & my fuel economy for the last tank was 55mpg which is the top end of the average when I've been driving the car.

Which Conti's ?

CSC6 are getting some great write ups, right up there with the Michelin PS4's which Costco sell cheap about £104 a corner for the vRS

Only downside is they don't show the 19" prices on the shop floor, bloody vRS245 is already causing me troubles, might just run it on 18"s instead

Edited by themanwithnoaim

I ordered the Conti Premium Contact 6 in R18 as summer tyres.

I paid 110CHF each (around 90gbp with todays exchange rate but probably closer to 100 when I ordered a few months ago).

I've always fitted Contis & never had a reason to complain or concider trying another brand.

Edited by Gabbo

1 hour ago, creamvRS said:

I just picked up some 225/40/18s Uniroyal Rainsport 3s from Camskill for £58.50 a tyre. Doing very well.

Wow, HTF do you walk with balls that big?

Sixty quid a corner

On a vRS

I prefer to drive faster than that thank you

31 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Wow, HTF do you walk with balls that big?

Sixty quid a corner

On a vRS

I prefer to drive faster than that thank you

Would you be happier if I went somewhere more expensive to buy them? :D

• Like 1