ABS Warning light

Please tell me if this a co-incidence but is it likely that a telemetry device i.e. black box install could have triggered the ABS electrical circuit problem? I had one installed on the 8th May for my son's insurance policy, which was about 10 days before the warning light lit.

After a rummage I found the device in the fuse compartment area :-

IMG_1946.thumb.JPG.4e5f89b5ad16df182240693e0a1a663e.JPG

It's bothering me @KenONeill, almost as much as the ABS sensor cable that wasn't seated properly in the OSR wheel arch.

I don't know enough about the electical systems but wouldn't the ABS light have triggered immediately if the "Black Box" install was the problem? What is important about the location - do you mean the routing of the O/S wiring loom?

Edited by garibaldy

I don't think the sensor cable runs into the cabin at all, does it, just along the underside of the shell.  I'd be very surprised if the black box was doing any mischief.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

It's only taking a live feed, it's not tapping into the cars electronics, we're moving into the realms of superstition here chaps...

This is pretty much what a friend of mine said. Is it possible that the black & brown ABS sensor wires could have been damaged during the install? A long shot probably.

Edited by garibaldy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wino said:

I don't think the sensor cable runs into the cabin at all, does it, just along the underside of the shell.  I'd be very surprised if the black box was doing any mischief.

Hi Win - I've found the ABS sensor cable :) , black cable below stamped with code FLR31Y11Y which gives a couple of 'ABS cable' hits on the web. It has black and brown wires that splice into the main wiring halfway along the rear door entrance.

IMG_1943.thumb.JPG.14eeafeef8ff97e3d901f1705fe5e901.JPG

You can see below the taped black wire, then the brown wire is taped in just below my thumb. My thought process is to remove the tape (see what is inside) and check continuity between the sensor and here.

IMG_1945.thumb.JPG.cd8bac8424c429dda4678bb649d64dfd.JPG

Edited by garibaldy

When I first saw the black wire taped up I got excited as it looked like a repair, although the brown wire is the same so I'm assuming it left the factory like that.

Was expecting something more professional, although removing the tape should show more. 

Edited by garibaldy
  • Like 1

OK so they do go through the cabin. VW/Skoda seem to have some crimping system for joining wires within looms, I think you will find a neat clean join under each taped bit, unless they've been done post-manufacture. 

At least it makes it easy to buzz out the rear section of the wiring, from those joins.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wino said:

OK so they do go through the cabin. VW/Skoda seem to have some crimping system for joining wires within looms, I think you will find a neat clean join under each taped bit, unless they've been done post-manufacture. 

At least it makes it easy to buzz out the rear section of the wiring, from those joins.

Cheers. I've not heard the term "buzz out"?

• Like 1

Shorthand for 'continuity test'.  Continuity testers (or that function of a multimeter) generally make a noise, these days a beep, but in olden days, a buzz.

Another possibility that I suppose is worth consideration; could it be that what the sensor is 'looking at' is the problem?  Not even sure what that is on the back wheels, I think it's a pattern of magnets integrated into the wheel bearing/hub at the front, probably same at the back?

• Like 1

Look what happened when I started removing the tape from the black wire......PS I applied very little pressure :-

IMG_1948.thumb.JPG.5cb4afacf04504d7a5eaa0722bac0661.JPG

removed the rest of the tape and look at this mess.....

IMG_1950.thumb.JPG.132ba3828d62572ae9a004aa967cf424.JPG

cut back to clean copper, twisted together the wire ends, and the ABS light cleared! Finished off the job with amatuerish crimping effort :-

IMG_1952.thumb.JPG.718b7c689b813f6257b3f4ba99bb4391.JPG

No more ABS warning light :)

• Like 3

Good job fella, hope you've found the root of the problem, cable damage must have occurred for a reason or more to the point due to a reason, it might be prudent to splice in length of cable with either end joint away from where your crimp is and then protect the cable loom as safely as possible, otherwise...........

• Like 1

I reckon i've just found the root of the problem. Was going to save it for another thread, but your post is timely David. Went outside in the rain to admire the repair :cool: and noticed a pool of water bridging the seal!!! Near side rear is dry as a bone, but rainwater ingress is the problem on offside rear :-

IMG_1953.thumb.JPG.ff93e944b2f59c936011d34d0b506dbf.JPG

Think this is a known problem so will have to search the forum, but for now I'm putting my feet up with a smile on my face!