Air Conditioning cleaning

Did anyone try to clean air conditioning / evaporator in Octy III?

I have that ugly smell coming out of it after winter (yeah, I used the AC rather seldom this winter).

I'm not even asking about the chemicals but rather the exact procedure.

From pictures I've seen I assume the evaporator may not be directly accessible from the filter box, or is it?

I did mine a few months ago after it started to smell. I first replaced the cabin air-filter, then set aircon on full blast, let off an air-bomb in the backseat footwell, and left it to recirculate for 10-15 mins. The car honked of chemicals for a day or two afterwards, but the bad was gone and has stayed gone. 

2 hours ago, Orville said:

I did mine a few months ago after it started to smell. I first replaced the cabin air-filter, then set aircon on full blast, let off an air-bomb in the backseat footwell, and left it to recirculate for 10-15 mins. The car honked of chemicals for a day or two afterwards, but the bad was gone and has stayed gone. 

Bad enough honk to make you leave the A/C in auto this winter ?

5 hours ago, wlange said:

Question is not about the spray type, but the procedure to apply it to get proper effect.

Usually such instructions are written on the product itself.

19 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Bad enough honk to make you leave the A/C in auto this winter ?

My aircon is always on whilst driving, but bacteria/smells can still build up if the car is left to stand for several days without use. Mine took just over 3-years/24K miles before it needed a clean.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Oh, thats not good news as I'm about to leave mine in Airport Car Parking

Goidness tmwna / a 3 year holiday !! Thats a hell of a bill at the pay in exit 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Oh, thats not good news as I'm about to leave mine in Airport Car Parking

Turn the aircon off a few minutes before you park so that the evaporator has time to dry.

• Like 2

On 22/05/2017 at 12:33, themanwithnoaim said:

Plenty of A/C bacterial clean bombs available even, in Halfords if you must & if you continually turn your A//C off in winter you'll get used to using these every spring.

I rarely used the aircon in my Focus during the winter. The only problem was that after about 10 years the seals dried out and it stopped working. Never had any smells. If anything leaving it on is more likely to lead to smells because the system will always be damp.

4 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Would be more than the ballon payment seriously, the car is 3 years old now John

fo6 those who are interested , 3years in heathrow long stay would be about £7500, though there might be a problem as the maximum stay is 99 days

(other parking facilities are available)

Edited by johnrowley
addition

There are some car parking companies that will make sure that your car is not standing idle for the holiday. Included in the deal is cleaning the dpf by revving until the red line and trying to keep it there for as long as possible.

Or if petrol, see what revs the valves will start to bounce at.

Car "parking" attendant is probably contravening the trades description act. Although on second thoughts, the car will be parked eventually but not necessarily at a time and place of the drivers choosing(expectation?).