Help adapting a different half axle to my Estelle

Aram

Hi guys,

I'm thinking on adapting a different set of half axles to my Skoda Estelle, which I'm at the moment rebuilding its engine. The problem I always have with the axles design is that the woodruf key/hub/nut assembly gets loose very often, so I want to try a different design.

The half axles I can have are from Ladas. The design is different: the Lada axle is a typical front-mounted engine with rear transmission. However the bearing is the same and its size gives me room for adaptations.

In the inside tip, Lada's has splines, Skoda has pin-and-guide block. I'm aware about precision that this needs, I know it needs to be done in a lathe, welding by hand turning the aligned parts, etc.

I can

• cut both axles and weld together the appropriate sides, reinforcing the joint by welding a sleeve, or
  • cut the Lada axle and add a reinforcement ring at the pin side (probably an inner track of an old roller bearing).

The main issue: the diameter in the Lada axle, where the pin hole would be drilled is less than 30 mm (need to measure one, but I think it is 28 mm); the Skoda's diameter there is 32 mm. So somehow I need to add body or reinforce that tip.

My question is: how should I work the inside tip?

When answering, please keep in mind I don't have access to much more than what I describe.

1YbAP.jpg

YpBCg.jpg

Edited by Aram

4 hours ago, andreiulescu said:

Hello!

I would choose B to avoid unwanted vibrations. Good luck.

Thank you sir. Would that design be strong enough to hold the torque from the pin and guiding blocks?